David Mundy Elbow (A Toby Greene whinge)

Remove this Banner Ad

In yesterday's derby, David Mundy, whilst in possession of the ball lifted his elbow to deal with a tackler - in a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

The result was the tackler losing teeth.

By any view - what Mundy did was perfectly fair and the result on the tackler was nothing more than the unfortunate result of playing a contact sport.

Toby Greene would be given two weeks for the same incident

The MRP was supposed to make things more consistent, what we end up having is subjective treatment of a players guilt based on past events or whether they are a good bloke or not.

Surely the incident should be assessed on it's own merits - and only when guilty should punishment then be decided based on past form.

What we end up getting is some "good blokes" like Joel Selwood get away with murder and other "bad blokes" get pinged for football incidents.

Whinge over

I can believe you missed the point of the post though
The point is you are wrong. Name someone who has been sighted for a high elbow fend off with two hands on the ball? He was raising his arm to handball and Cripps lead with his head. Toby Greene would not have been suspended if he was David Mundy in that scenario.

He would be suspended if he punched Banfield in the guts off the Ball though because he hadn't touched it.

I can't believe you started a thread regarding this "incident".
I don't think he means that he thinks Mundy should be penalized (and neither do i)

What i read from that is consistency by the MRP

e.g Toby gets a tough penalty because he is Toby not because of the incident or past incidents

In yesterday's derby, David Mundy, whilst in possession of the ball lifted his elbow to deal with a tackler - in a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

The result was the tackler losing teeth.

By any view - what Mundy did was perfectly fair and the result on the tackler was nothing more than the unfortunate result of playing a contact sport.

Toby Greene would be given two weeks for the same incident

The MRP was supposed to make things more consistent, what we end up having is subjective treatment of a players guilt based on past events or whether they are a good bloke or not.

Surely the incident should be assessed on it's own merits - and only when guilty should punishment then be decided based on past form.

What we end up getting is some "good blokes" like Joel Selwood get away with murder and other "bad blokes" get pinged for football incidents.

Whinge over
Nah, Mundy wasn't trying to elbow his tackler and Greene has a history of dirty acts. I also don't believe for one second in the 'good bloke, bad bloke' thing, although previous incidents can rightly be taken into account at the penalty phase, as it does in courts. How can Selwood be seen as a good bloke (on the field), given his record?

Yes he was wearing a mouthguard, you see him taking it out amongst the blood.

Sheed was an open hand not a punch.

Amazing how people will go to the nth degree to point out how one incident happened yet clearly misread another incident they want to comment on.

Mundy - Nothing to see here but a bit of blood and happy dentist somewhere.

Sheed - D-head retaliation deserving a fine move on. If our own MC won't give him a deserved dropping I can't see the MRO doing us the favor.

Nah, Mundy wasn't trying to elbow his tackler and Greene has a history of dirty acts. I also don't believe for one second in the 'good bloke, bad bloke' thing, although previous incidents can rightly be taken into account at the penalty phase, as it does in courts. How can Selwood be seen as a good bloke (on the field), given his record?

Your own comment proves the point

“Greene has a history of dirty acts”. That is completely irrelevant to his guilt in any incident

it should be relevant to any suspension handed down though once guilt has been decided

Blows my mind that people think Greene gets a harsh deal by the MRO/tribunal, when he was caught on camera eye gouging and pulling hair, and got away with a fine. Anyone else would've been suspended

Your own comment proves the point

“Greene has a history of dirty acts”. That is completely irrelevant to his guilt in any incident

it should be relevant to any suspension handed down though once guilt has been decided
Nah, Greene deliberately raised his elbow to contact Dangerfield, and contacted him high, which caused injury, and which is why he was found guilty. And I did point out that his record would come into play in the penalty phase. Mundy raised his arms to keep them free so he could dispose of the ball. The two incidents are entirely different in their intent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Greene deliberately raised his elbow to contact Dangerfield, and contacted him high, which caused injury, and which is why he was found guilty. And I did point out that his record would come into play in the penalty phase. Mundy raised his arms to keep them free so he could dispose of the ball. The two incidents are entirely different in their intent.
Yeah nah, lets just make up as many "facts" as we are allowed to.

Plenty of evidence has been presented showing that the Greene / Dangerfield incident was not a deliberate act (less than 1/10th of a second), contacted Dangerfield's neck high after Dangerfield had slipped and his body dropped about 15 cm (the camera angle which shows this was not presented at the tribunal), and that the pointed elbow raised when being tackled is a standard response from an AFL footballer (have a look at every tackle that Joel Selwood tries to shrug, with a pointed elbow every time).

Didn't see the Mundy incident so haven't commented.

Toby was clearly victimised in this instance. Can recommend that the best thing that Toby Greene could do in order to be suspended less, apart from retire or to drop the competitive edge to his game, is to move to a big Victorian club.

Yeah nah, lets just make up as many "facts" as we are allowed to.

Plenty of evidence has been presented showing that the Greene / Dangerfield incident was not a deliberate act (less than 1/10th of a second), contacted Dangerfield's neck high after Dangerfield had slipped and his body dropped about 15 cm (the camera angle which shows this was not presented at the tribunal), and that the pointed elbow raised when being tackled is a standard response from an AFL footballer (have a look at every tackle that Joel Selwood tries to shrug, with a pointed elbow every time).

Didn't see the Mundy incident so haven't commented.

Toby was clearly victimised in this instance. Can recommend that the best thing that Toby Greene could do in order to be suspended less, apart from retire or to drop the competitive edge to his game, is to move to a big Victorian club.
You're the one making up facts. So Greene didn't deliberately raise his elbow, the wind caught it. Ok. Did you watch the elimination final v Sydney by any chance? He accidently raised his arms and hands to contact people in the face a couple of times as well. It's what Toby does. Victimised LOL.

PS. If Dangerfield went 15cm lower when slipping Toby's defence would have shown it. The fact is that he didn't, his feet slipped but he maintained the same height.

You're the one making up facts. So Greene didn't deliberately raise his elbow, the wind caught it. Ok. Did you watch the elimination final v Sydney by any chance? He accidently raised his arms and hands to contact people in the face a couple of times as well. It's what Toby does. Victimised LOL.

PS. If Dangerfield went 15cm lower when slipping Toby's defence would have shown it. The fact is that he didn't, his feet slipped but he maintained the same height.
I didn't say he didn't raise it, the idea that he deliberately raised his elbow, after attacking and getting the ball first, to injure Dangerfield high in 0.1 seconds is the point that for debate. AFL made a ruling, its abided by, doesn't mean its correct.

And as the height Dangerfield approached the contest and where he slipped, look at his shoulder height in relation to the background signage.... doesn't look the same height to me.

But whatever.

20210831_153630.jpg

20210831_153607.jpg

20210831_153543.jpg

I didn't say he didn't raise it, the idea that he deliberately raised his elbow, after attacking and getting the ball first, to injure Dangerfield high in 0.1 seconds is the point that for debate. AFL made a ruling, its abided by, doesn't mean its correct.

And as the height Dangerfield approached the contest and where he slipped, look at his shoulder height in relation to the background signage.... doesn't look the same height to me.

But whatever.

View attachment 1222495

View attachment 1222496

View attachment 1222497
Firstly, you make a decision and then implement it. Just because it took Greene '0.1 seconds' to raise his elbow into Dangerfield's throat doesn't mean he didn't think to do it first - he did! Secondly, take a good look at pics 2 and 3 there. Dangerfield started to slip in pic 2 and in pic 3 his head was at exactly the same height. You see what you want to see whereas I see what actually occurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back