The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, have seen first hand the complete steam-rolling of small business/those within retail & hospitality.

The general public is well aware of the risks, dangers and strategies (vaccination included) to limit your risk.

Not allowing people to make their own decisions is so depressing.
what is your solution to not having lockdowns? is there an alternative that you can think of?

The notion that the general public is equipped to make informed decisions --that will ensure their own protection as well as the safety of others-- is bizarre. Even the basic importance and precaution of wearing a mask is beyond many people.

Surely the fact that 70 people gather for an engagement party tells you where we're at?
You seem to be focussing on incredibly small %'s of the population's decisions as an indication of how the rest act. Which is a very mainstream media hot-take designed to induce fear & viewership.

What % of the Melbourne populous are blatantly flouting the restrictions? Maybe 0.001% (even thats 5,000 people).

Reality is 99.9% are doing the right thing, and very well educated as to how to act and conduct themselves to reduce their risks of COVID disaster.

You seem to be focussing on incredibly small %'s of the population's decisions as an indication of how the rest act. Which is a very mainstream media hot-take designed to induce fear & viewership.

What % of the Melbourne populous are blatantly flouting the restrictions? Maybe 0.001% (even thats 5,000 people).

Reality is 99.9% are doing the right thing, and very well educated as to how to act and conduct themselves to reduce their risks of COVID disaster.

I think that your post signals just how little people understand about the virus.

A lot of Sydney's woe comes from a party in Croxton Park, which became a superspreading event, much as any single large gathering in Melbourne has the capacity to become a superspreading event.

That's got nothing to do with mainstream media: it's simply the nature of what we're dealing with. It only takes a relatively small proportion of people to defy public health orders to compromise public health.

The government is well aware that people are slow on the uptake, which is why the screws are being turned.

As for my own impression of how many people are properly complying with restrictions, it is based on my forays into the outside world, when I go to the supermarket and for walks each day. The rate of non-compliance from these experiences are at least 25%, and my conversations with other people suggest the same or worse.

I think that your post signals just how little people understand about the virus.

A lot of Sydney's woe comes from a party in Croxton Park, which became a superspreading event, much as any single large gathering in Melbourne has the capacity to become a superspreading event.

That's got nothing to do with mainstream media: it's simply the nature of what we're dealing with. It only takes a relatively small proportion of people to defy public health orders to compromise public health.

The government is well aware that people are slow on the uptake, which is why the screws are being turned.

As for my own impression of how many people are properly complying with restrictions, it is based on my forays into the outside world, when I go to the supermarket and for walks each day. The rate of non-compliance from these experiences are at least 25%, and my conversations with other people suggest the same or worse.
You must roll in some circles of very frightened people, suggesting 25% of Melbournians from your experience (1.25m people) are blatantly flouting restrictions.

End of the day, you'd hope the Fed's have pulled their finger out and are now on the right track r.e vaccine roll-out. As soon as it's available too all and sundry who want it, open the doors.

People who want to live in long-term fear, please stay home. No-one is forcing you to leave those confines. Everyone who wants to get back to living, off we go.

You must roll in some circles of very frightened people, suggesting 25% of Melbournians from your experience (1.25m people) are blatantly flouting restrictions.

End of the day, you'd hope the Fed's have pulled their finger out and are now on the right track r.e vaccine roll-out. As soon as it's available too all and sundry who want it, open the doors.

People who want to live in long-term fear, please stay home. No-one is forcing you to leave those confines. Everyone who wants to get back to living, off we go.

Your reply doesn't really make sense. What does fear have to do with the observation of non-compliance?

Again, your last sentence seems to miss the point of what a pandemic is. We all bear the risk of other people's actions. People who are more sensitive to risk are in just as much danger as those who want to go about their lives as normal.

But yes, here's to a successful vaccine rollout, where people are not only offered the vaccine but where they take it up fast and in big numbers. That's our path out of this crushing cycle of life and lockdown.

I’ve never seen many people checking in to supermarkets via QR codes, so that 25% might be conservative.

No they're not in anywhere near as much danger, unless they have an incredibly low knowledge about how it spreads.

I have family members who are sensitive to risk, and other family members who couldn't give a s**t. They mingle, quite often without the benefit of a hazmat suit. This places them all at risk.

Similar with friend groups.

Similar with anyone who lives with someone else who doesn't take the same precautions as them, who doesn't view the virus on its own terms.

I think the point remains: we're sharing the risk, no matter how we view that risk.

I was no doubt exaggerating saying "most" but there are certainly a lot of idiots out there.
the vast majority of people tow the line, but there will always be a small minority who don't and this will never change.

Problem is the rest of us are forced to carry the can for the clowns who want to do their own thing.

I have family members who are sensitive to risk, and other family members who couldn't give a sh*t. They mingle, quite often without the benefit of a hazmat suit. This places them all at risk.

Similar with friend groups.

Similar with anyone who lives with someone else who doesn't take the same precautions as them, who doesn't view the virus on its own terms.

I think the point remains: we're sharing the risk, no matter how we view that risk.

Yep. Individual risk can be controlled even in friendship groups and families in the short term, but individual risk can also go up massively due to the behaviour of others.

I am joining in on this but as one of the 'sheepies' that is following the rules... I would love to be over 6' foot and walk up to those shopping centres in the northern suburbs to bloody wear a mask, check in with QR code and start social distancing and not a cop or security guard in site that you can go to.

That doesn't make me living in fear as I still shop, all I want to do is see my family and friends without restrictions because of many selfish people who think rules don't apply to them.

I am joining in on this but as one of the 'sheepies' that is following the rules... I would love to be over 6' foot and walk up to those shopping centres in the northern suburbs to bloody wear a mask, check in with QR code and start social distancing and not a cop or security guard in site that you can go to.

That doesn't make me living in fear as I still shop, all I want to do is see my family and friends without restrictions because of many selfish people who think rules don't apply to them.
A silly COVID zero policy w. draconian lockdown measures, and lagging vaccine rollout (now coming good) is why you can't see your family and friends Mags.

Lets get to 70% ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what gets me.

There are 3 simple rules to follow:

1. Social distance
2. Wear a mask
3. QR code into venues

They are very simple and very easy rules to follow with bare minimum of effort, yet there is a very significant percentage of people who just can't be arsed, particularly with wearing a mask (including properly) and QR coding in.

My son works at Coles in North Coburg and even in strict lockdowns there is 10-20% non compliance with masks. You only need to stand at the front door of the supermarkets to see that there is barely 50% compliance with using QR codes.

These are simple things to do that will help us nail this outbreak down, yet people obviously decide that they are above it all, it doesn't exist, or just don't give a stuff. This just keeps us in lockdown longer.

Imagine how bad it would be if it was a free for all and left up to individuals?

A silly COVID zero policy w. draconian lockdown measures, and lagging vaccine rollout (now coming good) is why you can't see your family and friends Mags.

Lets get to 70% ASAP.
I wasn't referring to the zero policy, not sure where you got that from my post.

I am just over those that think they know better than the experts and don't follow simple rules.

I am so angry at NSW and their initial response to the current outbreak. How they didn't follow what was happening in other countries from this strain beggars belief. Different strain required different strategies.

I hope one day we will get a chance to read minutes of State and Federal government meetings. Meanwhile we are where we are.

The lucky ones are those that live in WA, TAS and possibly QLD.

That does not sound very smart as 100% it will Return to Denmark

The article is a complete mess with heaps of far right rhetoric.

It's hard to follow, but I don't think it's saying much more than companies aren't allowed to pressure employees to vaccinate and the country is loosening restrictions but will tighten them if hospitalisations get too high.

That's what gets me.

There are 3 simple rules to follow:

1. Social distance
2. Wear a mask
3. QR code into venues

They are very simple and very easy rules to follow with bare minimum of effort, yet there is a very significant percentage of people who just can't be arsed, particularly with wearing a mask (including properly) and QR coding in.

My son works at Coles in North Coburg and even in strict lockdowns there is 10-20% non compliance with masks. You only need to stand at the front door of the supermarkets to see that there is barely 50% compliance with using QR codes.

These are simple things to do that will help us nail this outbreak down, yet people obviously decide that they are above it all, it doesn't exist, or just don't give a stuff. This just keeps us in lockdown longer.

Imagine how bad it would be if it was a free for all and left up to individuals?

I QR code wherever I go, even the petrol station when I fill the car up. Not because I’m a goody two shoes but because I bloody well want to know if I’ve come into contact with a positive case - for myself, my family and my workplace (even though I largely WFH). Pity the mah rights freedumb warriors can’t get the concept that this is one key element that supports keeping us open.

My son also works at one of the big supermarket chains and it pisses him off no end when customers come in without masks, often young women who snarkily state medical exemption 🙄. Plague rats is what he refers to them as. Staff have been told not to question or challenge nonmask wearers, obviously for their own safety to protect them from abuse. What a reflection of the level of selfishness and IDGAF from some sections of our community.

You gotta admit, that QR code stuff is pretty hard.

I mean it's hard enough taking and tagging 100 selfies a day and making comment on the latest kitchen triumphs of my many friends and typing comments in Big Footy, how the f*** am I supposed to scan into the supermarket?

Maybe we could implant some sort of scanning system through people's vaccinations instead?

I QR code wherever I go, even the petrol station when I fill the car up. Not because I’m a goody two shoes but because I bloody well want to know if I’ve come into contact with a positive case - for myself, my family and my workplace (even though I largely WFH). Pity the mah rights freedumb warriors can’t get the concept that this is one key element that supports keeping us open.

My son also works at one of the big supermarket chains and it pisses him off no end when customers come in without masks, often young women who snarkily state medical exemption . Plague rats is what he refers to them as. Staff have been told not to question or challenge nonmask wearers, obviously for their own safety to protect them from abuse. What a reflection of the level of selfishness and IDGAF from some sections of our community.

I love (no, I don’t) the digheads who don’t check in because they don’t want to have their movements tracked. But they probably used their iPhone to check on traffic on the way…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets get to 70% ASAP.
Delta has changed things, but covid Zero wasn't silly with the old strains. Places that chose it early enough did so much better than the rest of the world with the early strains. Melbourne had a s**t time because Dan took long to choose it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back