Tom Hawkins dangerous tackle, Darragh Joyce concussed

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins - off
Selwood - off

Two incidents that clearly should have been suspensions.
Selwood should have copped a week.
Hawkins no suspension was the correct call.( as were all the other ones that the obsessed dude above listed- Hendo, duncan, Hawkins on May etc - no suspensions= correct call)
Frtitsch should have been suspended-oh no -has Melbourne got the afl in it’s pay?

Last edited:
Selwood should have copped a week.
Hawkins no suspension was the correct call.( as were all the other ones that the obsessed dude above listed- Hendo, duncan, Hawkins on May etc - no suspensions= correct call)
Frtitsch should have been suspended-oh no -has Melbourne got the afl in it’s pay?

How can Hawkins no suspension be the right call? Pinned two arms, tackled him to the ground after the ball was released, opponent was concussed. That is a week minimum every day of the week.

I dint really care as far as this week goes because I'm confident we can win with Hawkins in anyway, I just think the AFL is a joke

And for those who really think Geelong gets favourable treatment just check where we are on the Suspensions ladder - No. 1
That could just mean that Geelong players are more likely to do things that are suspension worthy. It could be like Richmond supporters complaining about their team is hard done by the umpires when they play a style that is more likely to infringe and probably get away with even more

And for those who really think Geelong gets favourable treatment just check where we are on the Suspensions ladder - No. 1
Got any breakdowns? It’s very impressive throwing out a big number, but less impressive without context.

For example, how many charges have been laid against Geelong and the 17 other teams?

How many fines for Geelong, particularly fines that may have been suspensions?

How many of the suspended weeks were inarguable and how many do you think were undeserved?

Can you provide the breakdown by year? I think we’d all agree that if, for example, Geelong had 10 weeks of suspensions 10 years ago it is not quite as relevant as however many weeks Geelong has had in the past year or two.

Looking forward to your numbers. Thanks in advance.

Got any breakdowns? It’s very impressive throwing out a big number, but less impressive without context.

For example, how many charges have been laid against Geelong and the 17 other teams?

How many fines for Geelong, particularly fines that may have been suspensions?

How many of the suspended weeks were inarguable and how many do you think were undeserved?

Can you provide the breakdown by year? I think we’d all agree that if, for example, Geelong had 10 weeks of suspensions 10 years ago it is not quite as relevant as however many weeks Geelong has had in the past year or two.

Looking forward to your numbers. Thanks in advance.
I was going off the article below which as you already appear to know covers the period 2010-2020

MOST MATCHES MISSED THROUGH SUSPENSION SINCE 2010
62 Geelong
57 Richmond
56 Hawthorn
53 West Coast
52 St Kilda
51 Essendon
50 Melbourne
46 Fremantle
43 North Melbourne
40 Brisbane, Port Adelaide
36 Carlton
35 Gold Coast
29 Greater Western Sydney
28 Collingwood
26 Western Bulldogs
22 Adelaide
18 Sydney

If you want to research 2021 to prove a point that we are not still up there go for it. I CBF!

I was going off the article below which as you already appear to know covers the period 2010-2020

MOST MATCHES MISSED THROUGH SUSPENSION SINCE 2010
62 Geelong
57 Richmond
56 Hawthorn
53 West Coast
52 St Kilda
51 Essendon
50 Melbourne
46 Fremantle
43 North Melbourne
40 Brisbane, Port Adelaide
36 Carlton
35 Gold Coast
29 Greater Western Sydney
28 Collingwood
26 Western Bulldogs
22 Adelaide
18 Sydney

If you want to research 2021 to prove a point that we are not still up there go for it. I CBF!

A table with numbers and no context. Interesting.

A table with numbers and no context. Interesting.
Is ‘context’ your word of the week? What will it be next week? Obtuse?

If you want context you go find it. I posted that Geelong is No.1 on the suspension ladder, and I provided the evidence. But you want.....context

Is ‘context’ your word of the week? What will it be next week? Obtuse?

If you want context you go find it. I posted that Geelong is No.1 on the suspension ladder, and I provided the evidence. But you want.....context
I’m just saying your “data” is useless to most people. In fact, I reckon it’s only Cats fans who think it’s worth anything.

I don’t blame you, I blame the lazy “journalist”. You’re just the numpty who places too much stock in it. That said, I now look forward to you claiming Richmond are the best team still, because even after this season we’ve won three of the last five flags… and context doesn’t matter to you.

I’m just saying your “data” is useless to most people. In fact, I reckon it’s only Cats fans who think it’s worth anything.

I don’t blame you, I blame the lazy “journalist”. You’re just the numpty who places too much stock in it. That said, I now look forward to you claiming Richmond are the best team still, because even after this season we’ve won three of the last five flags… and context doesn’t matter to you.
Ha. You won't hear me admit that. But I must say I was amused to hear Jack Riewoldt attribute Richmond's abysmal form in 2021 to "fatigue", you know, having to play up to four extra week's football in successive years. Hello Jack. Geelong has done that for the best part of 14 years!

Ha. You won't hear me admit that. But I must say I was amused to hear Jack Riewoldt attribute Richmond's abysmal form in 2021 to "fatigue", you know, having to play up to four extra week's football in successive years. Hello Jack. Geelong has done that for the best part of 14 years!
Relevance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins - off
Selwood - off

Two incidents that clearly should have been suspensions.

I am not saying they shouldn't have been suspended, I am just pointing out that its conspiracy theory to think that they didn't because the AFL is looking after Geelong. If that was the case, you would have thought they would have done their best for Hawkins to play in the Prelim in 2019.

Every team has players that were lucky to get off, and every team has players that were unlucky to escape suspension. Greene got suspended for something Fristch did, I suppose AFL is also looking after Melbourne? Franklin clobbered someone in the head. s**t, they must be looking after Sydney as well. Etc etc etc. You can find a heap of examples throughout the season. The real correct answer is that the MRO is inconsistent and it is creating a lot of confusion which results in us questioning these dubious decisions.

I am not saying they shouldn't have been suspended, I am just pointing out that its conspiracy theory to think that they didn't because the AFL is looking after Geelong. If that was the case, you would have thought they would have done their best for Hawkins to play in the Prelim in 2019.

Every team has players that were lucky to get off, and every team has players that were unlucky to escape suspension. Greene got suspended for something Fristch did, I suppose AFL is also looking after Melbourne? Franklin clobbered someone in the head. sh*t, they must be looking after Sydney as well. Etc etc etc. You can find a heap of examples throughout the season. The real correct answer is that the MRO is inconsistent and it is creating a lot of confusion which results in us questioning these dubious decisions.
The AFL always look after Sydney. That one is obvious

But yes the MRO is inconsistent which can cause issues that it can be accused of bias

Every team has players that were lucky to get off, and every team has players that were unlucky to escape suspension. Greene got suspended for something Fristch did, I suppose AFL is also looking after Melbourne? Franklin clobbered someone in the head. sh*t, they must be looking after Sydney as well. Etc etc etc. You can find a heap of examples throughout the season. The real correct answer is that the MRO is inconsistent and it is creating a lot of confusion which results in us questioning these dubious decisions.

I said before its not about clubs its about individuals.

Bont wouldnt have been cited either. 22 year old with 40 games played in a team not in finals would have been cited.

We all know it.

Worpel got a week in the same game a Swans player did the exact same tackle... to Worpel, and wasnt even cited.

Buddy was given careless and medium rather than intentional and low, because the AFL knew it would come down to caress and low on appeal.

They spend far more time thinking about what is the best outcome for the AFL rather than what is the right thing to do.

Player welfare to this day still is a long way down the list.

I’ll give some context.
Selwood gets suspended for a push -LOL are you kidding? That is probably the softest in history.

Hawkins is the 1st to get suspended for new and crazy things to set a standard. That standard usually disappears. Eg jumper punches or strikes to the body that doesn’t hurt a fly.

Danger was the 1st to get suspended for a dangerous tackle despite that player being a massive bloke in Kruezer. It was hardly suspendedable, reasonable in the circumstances and it cost him a Brownlow. Now players get away with ‘dangerous tackles’
Yes if you now want to include Hawkins in that go ahead.

Rules and interpretations have changed a lot over the time but Chapman got suspended for a high bump in a final costing us a preliminary final. Low impact no concussion. Hardly anyone got done for those types of incidents 8 years ago especially low impact ones.
I’m still filthy, cost us a flag and got Hawthorn who never beat us with Chapman 1 of 3 in a row.
Major reason I think that era is over blown. Extremely lucky.

Steve Johnson got suspended numerous times for the most minor of incidents. Often made an example of. It’s weird as players including Greene last year get away with similar incidents. The AFL has not got tougher on players.
Carry over points from other ridiculous things never helped his cause in those days. So nothing incidents became suspensions.

I think a lot of this was us being in prime time. I see many incidents from the smaller clubs go unnoticed. No one is watching at certain times I guess. Little things get highlighted especially on Friday nights and Ch 7 prime time slots.

I have often been on the MRP/MRO board complaining over the years and not just when it comes to Geelong. It’s only now that we got away with an incident people are really up in arms. The dislike for Geelong is unreal.
People are extremely slow to catch on that the whole process is a shambles and no matter what changes are made, the process has always been bad.
Christian is especially really ordinary.

Joel Selwood didn’t get a week for eye-gouging earlier this year.

Joel Selwood didn’t even get looked at for eye-gouging Liam Baker in the GF last year.

Joel Selwood didn’t get a week for stomping earlier this year.

Joel Selwood didn’t get a week for a deliberate head-high fully intentional bump just weeks ago.

Patrick Dangerfield had no case to answer for knocking out Nick Vlastuin in the GF last year.

Joel Selwood only got a week for pushing his brother because the base penalty (points system in place) was increased because he’d belted Brent Guerra, perforating his ear drum and earning a four week suspension the previous season.

Edit: how did I forget Gary Ablett Jr and his errant elbows? Add them to the recent list of Geelong players getting kissed on the d**k by the MRO.

Last edited:

Joel Selwood didn’t even get looked at for eye-gouging Liam Baker in the GF last year.

Joel Selwood didn’t get a week for a deliberate head-high fully intentional bump just weeks ago.

Patrick Dangerfield had no case to answer for knocking out Nick Vlastuin in the GF last year.

Joel Selwood only got a week for pushing his brother because the base penalty (points system in place) was increased because he’d belted Brent Guerra, perforating his ear drum and earning a four week suspension the previous season.

They weren’t eye gauges, so get your facts right.
Remember what Greene did to Bontempelli? Everyone reckons he is harshly treated? He got off that. Worse than Selwood’s non eye gouge. Sure don’t put your hands there but it’s not an eye gouge is it?

Danger no case to answer and fair enough unless you’re a nuffy with a hatred of Dangerfield. No smart person argued it should be a suspension at the time. His intention is to punch the ball away, I can’t help you if you think otherwise. You’re just trying to compare oranges and apples

Stomping? Gross over exaggeration to prove a point.

Anyway the point is I myself acknowledge we got away with some that others have needed to appeal this year.
The past decade has not been like that at all. So I’ve given examples. It has now frustrated people like you because Geelong players seem to have gotten away with some incidents.

It never bothered you when we were treated harshly so I suggest you take your hate goggles off and disappear.

I would’ve suspended Selwood due to intent but with bumps they often get away with it if no injury occurs and it was low impact.
I’ll acknowledge your frustration as that does not seem to also apply to tackles.
Why should Holman and Redman have to appeal when Hawkins didn’t? I get that. Still at least time was saved.

Last edited:
They weren’t eye gauges, so get your facts right.
Remember what Greene did to Bontempelli? Everyone reckons he is harshly treated? He got off that. Worse than Selwood’s non eye gouge. Sure don’t put your hands there but it’s not an eye gouge is it?

Danger no case to answer and fair enough unless you’re a nuffy with a hatred of Dangerfield. No smart person argued it should be a suspension at the time. His intention is to punch the ball away, I can’t help you if you think otherwise. You’re just trying to compare oranges and apples

Stomping? Gross over exaggeration to prove a point.

Anyway the point is I myself acknowledge we got away with some that others have needed to appeal this year.
The past decade has not been like that at all. So I’ve given examples. It has now frustrated people like you because Geelong players seem to have gotten away with some incidents.

It never bothered you when we were treated harshly so I suggest you take your hate goggles off and disappear.
Nah, they were eye gouges.

Shall we take a poll?

Edit: how did I forget Gary Ablett Jr and his errant elbows? Add them to the recent list of Geelong players getting kissed on the d**k by the MRO.

On your edit. The MRO did suspend Ablett the 1st time. Very harsh, errant and no damage so once again get your facts right. He rightfully got off on appeal as do so many others.
2nd one Christian learnt it’s not suspension worthy. Fine - sure.

To be fair... it could be his thumb or knuckle in Dale's eye-socket.

View attachment 1209840

It's years of practice paying off. Here he is eye-gouging Ben Howlett way back in 2015.

View attachment 1209843

Even though it is hand on face I think that is worthy of a suspension even if his fingers did not enter his eyes. No good.
I don’t like it as there are numerous similar incidents, he needed to be taught a lesson the 1st time like Greene with Bontempelli who followed up with an eye gouge the following week.
Got away with that one yes. If he didn’t maybe he isn’t sticking his hands on Duryea’s face either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back