Your "I Don't Get It" Band

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The band didn't. Didn't play any songs from it live once Frusciante rejoined the band. Almost pretended it didn't exist for a while. Still played early songs from before Frusciante joined the band.

Yeah I know and I don’t really get it. I totally understand why bands don’t play songs or from albums that got too popular or got overplayed etc but that sort of thing I just don’t get.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Metallica.

Lacked the aggression of Slayer, the humour of S.O.D., the hooks of Suicidal Tendencies, the brutality of Morbid Angel, the originality of Venom etc., ... I just don't get it. Rob Trujillo is sooo wasted in Metallica it's not funny, and Suicidal Tendencies no longer play a lot of their back catalogue which Rob recorded on. There are sooo many bands that are better... better drummers than Lars, better singers than James... they just seem tepid compared to so many peers.
Cause ...songs.
none of which any of those other bands will be remembered for.

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
Pearl Jam. I like Soundgarden and i listen to Alice in Chains sometimes and enjoy what they do but i find Pearl Jam to be pretty bland. Nirvana is probably number 2, i know why they are significant and influential and i dont mind their music but ive never really held them in really high esteem.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pearl Jam. I like Soundgarden and i listen to Alice in Chains sometimes and enjoy what they do but i find Pearl Jam to be pretty bland. Nirvana is probably number 2, i know why they are significant and influential and i dont mind their music but ive never really held them in really high esteem.

It’s important to remember with Nirvana that they didn’t get the chance to be mediocre.
Bleach - first album, free hit, raw and pretty good.
Nevermind - needs no explaining.
In Utero - More polished but still very good
Unplugged - even before i actually became a proper nirvana fan I thought this was one of the most amazing unplugged albums of all time. Freakishly good
Muddy Banks - live album and critically acclaimed
Incesticide - B sides, had some excellent songs on it.

So realistically 3 studio albums, still enough leftover for a B sides album, and two iconic and contrasting live albums, all in 6-7 years. Had they been around as long as Pearl Jam I’m sure their strike rate would have dropped a bit and their quality diluted more. It was just that in a very short time they did everything right and kurt’s death meant they didn’t get the chance to suck. Like a cricketer retiring after 20 tests with an average of 60.

the Foo Fighters ironically are a great example of what Nirvana never had the chance to do - the first two FF albums were utterly brilliant, the third was pretty good, the fourth was very good, and since then they’ve slowly but surely diluted further with each album

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s important to remember with Nirvana that they didn’t get the chance to be mediocre.
Unplugged - even before i actually became a proper nirvana fan I thought this was one of the most amazing unplugged albums of all time. Freakishly good

So realistically 3 studio albums, still enough leftover for a B sides album, and two iconic and contrasting live albums, all in 6-7 years. Had they been around as long as Pearl Jam I’m sure their strike rate would have dropped a bit and their quality diluted more. It was just that in a very short time they did everything right and kurt’s death meant they didn’t get the chance to suck. Like a cricketer retiring after 20 tests with an average of 60.

the Foo Fighters ironically are a great example of what Nirvana never had the chance to do - the first two FF albums were utterly brilliant, the third was pretty good, the fourth was very good, and since then they’ve slowly but surely diluted further with each album
I like both Nirvana and FF and what you’ve said is exactly spot on. Foos have fallen away terribly.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I like both Nirvana and FF and what you’ve said is exactly spot on. Foos have fallen away terribly.

I love the FF too, I love Dave Grohl and everything about him but it’s almost like he’s spread himself too thin - nirvana, FF, Them Crooked Vultures, Probot, QOTSA, relentless touring almost non stop for 30 years, learning and playing covers with guest artists, doing acoustic versions of hard rock songs on Howard Stern’s radio show - he just does not stop and I think his creativity on the last handful of albums has just dried up. It’s been a long time since he’s written a memorable song.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
True. OK Computer shits all over it.

DSOTM is overrated as hell in my opinion. There’s like two stand out songs max.

Pink Floyd fans will tell you it’s an ‘album album’ and has to be enjoyed as a whole, but the songs fall kind of flat when I isolated. As an entire piece of work I just don’t think it is that great - feels like a bunch of reprisals stacked on top of each other.

Us & Them and Time are great though.

Meddle and WYWH are far superior.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They are good but nothing more, the comparisons of OK computer to Dark Side of the Moon are way off.

They were never that revolutionary and their experimental stuff wasn't as out there as their hardcore fans suggest.

I’m not a hardcore fan and I’d suggest their experimental stuff was incredibly out there. Any band who you can’t really define with a genre is a bit out there.

DSOTM is overrated as hell in my opinion. There’s like two stand out songs max.

Pink Floyd fans will tell you it’s an ‘album album’ and has to be enjoyed as a whole, but the songs fall kind of flat when I isolated. As an entire piece of work I just don’t think it is that great - feels like a bunch of reprisals stacked on top of each other.

Us & Them and Time are great though.

Meddle and WYWH are far superior.

Yep, I never got into DSOTM as much as some of their others. Even prefer The Wall, a great album.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Post-Freakshow Silverchair.

More artistic and thoughtful doesn’t mean it sounds better.

Across The Night is one of the most pointlessly complex songs I’ve heard.

I don’t get it

How very dare you

Across The Night is like a Disney soundrack come to life.

Diorama is an absolute masterpiece

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats

Basically agree with your FF assessment, except that In Your Honour is overrated and Wasting Light has to be up there with the very best.

Your Nirvana is on point too

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
How very dare you

Across The Night is like a Disney soundrack come to life.

Diorama is an absolute masterpiece

The Greatest View was a fantastic song and when I heard it I thought ‘you beauty he’s found melody again.’

The rest of it I wasn’t thrilled with. My stomach also churns when I see him/the band performing with Paul ‘Yoko’ Mac

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
The Greatest View was a fantastic song and when I heard it I thought ‘you beauty he’s found melody again.’

The rest of it I wasn’t thrilled with. My stomach also churns when I see him/the band performing with Paul ‘Yoko’ Mac

Interesting you should say that, as I would describe Diorama as their most sunshiny, melodic album. Neon Ballroom was actually pretty melodic too now I think about it, but a dark, brooding type of melodic.

I don't mind Pauly Mac haha

Back