Coach Grumpy

It shows how much teams live in a controlled bubble. You could argue these little things add up but seriously, if microphones are that much of a distraction and the big screen highlights (lowlights) off putting, I have concerns for the resilience in Australian cricket. Bodyline series players would be laughing.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It shows how much teams live in a controlled bubble. You could argue these little things add up but seriously, if microphones are that much of a distraction and the big screen highlights (lowlights) off putting, I have concerns for the resilience in Australian cricket. Bodyline series players would be laughing.

Seems like all issues for Langer more than anybody else

Malcolm Conn only wants to caress the connection between Langer's moodswings and the fact he's been hit on the head more times than a rusty nail, presumably because the writer knows he's not in the position to diagnose CTE. Thus it begs the question: why bother writing the article at all?

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Malcolm Conn only wants to caress the connection between Langer's moodswings and the fact he's been hit on the head more times than a rusty nail, presumably because the writer knows he's not in the position to diagnose CTE. Thus it begs the question: why bother writing the article at all?

Impression I got is Langer's a micromanager. Conn's worked with him so he has better insight than us

Impression I got is Langer's a micromanager. Conn's worked with him so he has better insight than us
The impression I got is he's bringing up an incident from Langer's Test debut to allude to a broader point (and clearly it isn't just to say "I admire him").

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The impression I got is he's bringing up an incident from Langer's Test debut to allude to a broader point (and clearly it isn't just to say "I admire him").

Would you like to work with someone like that?!

Would you like to work with someone like that?!
You're never going to be a detective. We all know Langer sucks as a coach.

An article about his "erratic" and "volatile" behaviour in the role is fine. But if that is all the article is supposed to be about, I wouldn't have thought there's a need to bring up memories of him "wearing a blow on the helmet".

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
You're never going to be a detective. We all know Langer sucks as a coach.

An article about his "erratic" and "volatile" behaviour in the role is fine. But if that is all the article is supposed to be about, I wouldn't have thought there's a need to bring up memories of him "wearing a blow on the helmet".

I think you're just looking for something to be outraged by

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

this is odd take. Langer getting hit in the head on his debut is part of Langer's cricketing narrative. It's never far away from a mention where Langer's full career is being discussed - it's the opening line to the second paragraph on his cricinfo bio. Conn is referencing his debut to simply make known how long he has covered Langer, and admired the way he went about it as a player.

The article has been written because again Langer has done something silly and is facing pressure, and Conn, in his new job as chief cricket writer, has a story that relates. The only thing I can say against the article is perhaps Conn should have kept it in his back-pocket, ready to fire, for a little longer...

this is odd take. Langer getting hit in the head on his debut is part of Langer's cricketing narrative. It's never far away from a mention where Langer's full career is being discussed
It's part of his cricketing narrative... i.e. everybody already knows about it. So why the need for a reminder?

Is the article supposed to be about Langer's full career or his behaviour as a coach?

Conn is referencing his debut to simply make known how long he has covered Langer, and admired the way he went about it as a player.
this is naive take.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
It's part of his cricketing narrative... i.e. everybody already knows about it. So why the need for a reminder?

Is the article supposed to be about Langer's full career or his behaviour as a coach?

this is naive take.
The article literally starts with Conn saying how much he admires Langer based on his playing career. It's not at all surprising that Conn would note he was there on Langer's debut, and reference the thing that is always referenced. It's no surprise that an article outlying issues he had with Langer in one part of Langer's career, Conn is going to lengths to praise other parts of Langer's career.

If you're going to take abridge with a health aspect of this article, I would have thought the reference to Langer's actual health issue would have been it, not drawing a long straw to suggest Conn wants to say Langer has CTE or something

The article literally starts with Conn saying how much he admires Langer based on his playing career.
Why? I thought the article was supposed to be about Langer's behaviour as a coach.

If you're going to take abridge with a health aspect of this article, I would have thought the reference to Langer's actual health issue would have been it, not drawing a long straw to suggest Conn wants to say Langer has CTE or something
The health aspect of the article referring to his inner ear issue that manifested in debilitating migraines? Yeah I wonder what the implication is there.

But I would hate to draw a long "straw".

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
It's obviously time to move on after his contract runs up. It wouldn't be that much of a problem if some of the playing group didn't like him if we were seeing some progress but we aren't really seeing that so there's no point going on.

As for the next coach, there is no reason it shouldn't be a wide world search. England and to a lesser extent India have had great success with foreign coaches the last few decades. No reason to limit ourselves just because Mickey Arthur didn't work out.

That said it will 100% be McDonald, putting effort into a coaching search would be a bit much for CA.

Lehmann was too lax, Langer too intense.

Somewhere in the middle would be ideal. Create a likeable side the nation can get around, but who plays hard on field. Somebody like a Gillespie?

At the moment they're neither.

Lehmann was too lax, Langer too intense.

Somewhere in the middle would be ideal. Create a likeable side the nation can get around, but who plays hard on field. Somebody like a Gillespie?

At the moment they're neither.
I would like to see Ponting get it but will not happen

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Loved Langer as a player, and mostly remained a fan over the years, but he's clearly an issue now.

Cricket Australia are an absolute shambles.

It's like they're actively trying to destroy the love of the game for Australians - no Test cricket, moronic selection policies and scheduling; wtf is their goal?

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
''Likeable'' is pretty subjectable. The team has barely had any incidence since the sandpaper debacle, but there are still people who consider the team "unlikeable" for whatever reason. They clearly have tried to change their image.

There are just some people who just love to whinge and will always find fault no matter what the team does. Just worry about the Ws, everything else will fall into place and more people will get around the team.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
''Likeable'' is pretty subjectable. The team has barely had any incidence since the sandpaper debacle, but there are still people who consider the team "unlikeable" for whatever reason. They clearly have tried to change their image.

There are just some people who just love to whinge and will always find fault no matter what the team does. Just worry about the Ws, everything else will fall into place and more people will get around the team.

I’d say the majority of people who didn’t like the team when they were a bit worse behaved accepted it still because they were winning. They could begrudgingly cop the poor attitude or behaviour because they were getting results more often than not. But australia loves winners in sports that we are traditionally ‘supposed’ to win and as soon as that stops it becomes a more important factor in what people think about that team than the team’s image or behaviour.

we also have an attitude of backing up your words and aggression with performance. I think Australian sports fans are smart enough to see that carrying on when your results aren’t enough to give you that ‘right’ is a bad look.

those factors combined mean that any Aussie cricket team that:
- behaves like idiots without results
- behaves well but without results
Is not going to see a spike in popularity

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
New Zealanders are used to their team being ordinary because they have been for so so long.
so I think they were able to look at their underperforming but generally genial and ‘nice’ side and still have an affinity for them. It just comes as a bit of a bonus now that their actual results are good too

Back