Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - 28 possies v Freo (career high) and signs a two year extension to end of 2026.

He's a gun in the making. But does he get enough time in the guts with who we've already got in there?

Simpkin - LDU - Thomas - Cunners - Phillips - Stephenson

Pretty tough gig.
He strikes me as someone that can be useful all over the ground. I could easily see him playing wing, half-forward or half-back.

Oct 7, 2009
The Y Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's a gun in the making. But does he get enough time in the guts with who we've already got in there?

Pretty tough gig.
That's a good point you raise. With the midfield options we're putting together, it hopefully pushes players to achieve above and beyond. For me now, it's all about ouput and regardless of reputation, if the output isn't there, none of the above can be guaranteed midfield minutes.

We're working ourselves into a great a great dilemma.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pretty tough gig.
Our midfield dynamic is going to mimic that of the dogs and cats where we rotate heavily through the midfield and forward line.
Would expect us to have 6-8 guys that can easily play both roles.
Finding a spot for powelll isnt going to be a problem.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
That's a good point you raise. With the midfield options we're putting together, it hopefully pushes players to achieve above and beyond. For me now, it's all about ouput and regardless of reputation, if the output isn't there, none of the above can be guaranteed midfield minutes.

We're working ourselves into a great a great dilemma.

It's a dilemma that's usually resolved by one or two of them leaving for greater opportunity.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pretty tough gig.

Powell is the long term replacement for Cunners.

They aren't the same type of players, but they will provide the same function to the midfield.

LDU can continue to be a second receiver type around someone like Powell.

Powell's ability in traffic and creativity to release players is as good as anyone I've seen at his age.

It's easy to forget, but he looked better than any of LDU, Thomas, Simpkin, Phillips, Cunnington, Ziebell, Swallow did in their first 10 games and he's arguably the least physically developed than all of them at that age....

It's also easy to forget he was leading the side in tackles at the bye prior to our turnaround. He was the only one putting in both ways in the first 3 months of the season and his defensive side is very underrated and something along with Powell we are going to need with LDU and Simpkin both pretty unaccountable in general...

Simon Black really is a great comparison...

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Powell is the long term replacement for Cunners.

They aren't the same type of players, but they will provide the same function to the midfield.

LDU can continue to be a second receiver type around someone like Powell.

Powell's ability in traffic and creativity to release players is as good as anyone I've seen at his age.

It's easy to forget, but he looked better than any of LDU, Thomas, Simpkin, Phillips, Cunnington, Ziebell, Swallow did in their first 10 games and he's arguably the least physically developed than all of them at that age....

Simon Black really is a great comparison...

Have doubts in his ability to be as physically imposing as Cunners. His hands are as equally exquisite though.

Phillips more closely resembles Cunners as a replacement.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have doubts in his ability to be as physically imposing as Cunners. His hands are as equally exquisite though.

Phillips more closely resembles Cunners as a replacement.

I think Phillips will be something like a cross between Sam Mitchell and Tom Mitchell in time. He might not get as much of the ball as Tom, but his damage by foot is more like Sam than Tom.

Powell has a pretty big frame on him and showed encouraging physical development from pre-season. I think he's going to be a decent size.

His old man was a decent size unit as well:

ThrowbackThursday [HASH=47256]#TBT[/HASH]... - Sturt Football Club Inc. - SANFL | Facebook

Matthew Powell | Adelaide Football Club

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Phillips will be something like a cross between Sam Mitchell and Tom Mitchell in time. He might not get as much of the ball as Tom, but his damage by foot is more like Sam than Tom.

Powell has a pretty big frame on him and showed encouraging physical development from pre-season. I think he's going to be a decent size.

His old man was a decent size unit as well:

View attachment 1210306

Matthew Powell | Adelaide Football Club
Yeah, he's lean but already you can see the development in his body providing a nice base for mass. He certainly won't be another Ryan Bastinac.

No, put him in the middle a challenge the rest to take his spot.
I want him in the middle too, I was just making the point the guy appears to be pretty versatile due to his skillset.

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I want him in the middle too, I was just making the point the guy appears to be pretty versatile due to his skillset.

Think You’re right, kid could play anywhere.
It’s been so long since we’ve had a midfield beast like I think Powell will become, he’s going to AAA.

r_boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2007
Northern Territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see him playing a mix of centre square and as a defensive outlet and transition player who helps cut through the opposition zone with his vision, quick thinking and skills (as others have said before).

Better in the back half than forward half I reckon.

Needs to work on his tackling and defensive pressure and put some time in the gym.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the things that has absolutely crippled us in the past is that we’ve had no decent depth through our midfield. Prior to this year we’d have been lucky to have 4/5 guys rotating through the centre square for the entire year.

Now we have an abundance of options that’s going to allow us to lock down or be more dynamic depending on the opposition or stage of the game.

In a couple of years time (Once Cunners & Anderson are gone) I envisage our starting midfield being:

Simpkin, LDU & Phillips

then our next rotation would be Powell, Thomas & Horne.

Additionally we’ll have the likes of Stephenson & Lazzaro capable of running through there as well.

To me that’s the perfect balance of defensive pressure, tenacity, speed and flair. It’s going to hold us in good stead for the next 6-8 years at a minimum.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I see him playing a mix of centre square and as a defensive outlet and transition player who helps cut through the opposition zone with his vision, quick thinking and skills (as others have said before).

Better in the back half than forward half I reckon.

Needs to work on his tackling and defensive pressure and put some time in the gym.

Yep i think our mids will need to rotate forward, not sure that'll be his strength. But as you say cutting through zones etc should be, which has me thinking wing is his spot. Half Back we have a number of options - Perez who looked an absolute jet playing there in the few games we saw him, McDonald, Hall, Bonar, Atu.

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jy and LDU are offensive, ie Attacking mids TT seems a bit keener on tackling
Doubt Stephenson will play like that, that’s OK
Phillips not strong enough yet, last game Parker and Kennedy stomped him, he will take Cunners spot
And Powell and especially Ando could be more Defensive
Are Stoppers still a thing?

Some of these guys need to Kick Goals
Once we get goal kicking mids September will get more interesting

Has to be in the guts for mine, his vision is superb.
I agree. That’s why I said he’s a great midfielder and I don’t want to see him moved.
But I also think he has the attributes to play half back. Most of our other mids don’t. Except for TT, he could, but you’d rather him mid/forward.
In saying that, I didn’t think JZ would work across HB. So what would I know.

Back