Preview Round 23, 2021 | North Melbourne vs Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval | Sunday, 22 August @ 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

That last question....

forward-defensive-front1.gif

Agree but in setting player expectations this Club Med was actually far crueler than harsher regimes we had under Laidley or Pagan.

Players didn't seem to announce retirements or have farewell games because they were either having their pockets pissed in all season or given no real feedback. That was until the list management function suddenly decided to make calls seemingly out of the blue each year.

Scott Thompson and Waite both voiced their confusion every year as to whether they were still wanted. List managers seemed to pin their strategy to whether a big fish would turn up and rule us in or out of contention. A flimsy strategy that come circa 2020 left Brady et al with the clean-up.

Sam Gibson, Swallow, NDS, Petrie, Boomer et al - all seemed either shocked or confused at the final call. Putting aside pride, a decent people management process shouldn't see individuals stunned at the final curtain call. NDS and Petrie weren't really firing a shot in 2016 but it didn't sound like anyone had sat them down and explained honestly where they were at. Instead they got the smack out of the blue and were thrown out by it.

Players, especially long term ones, really shouldn't be surprised when they're not renewed if it's managed properly! Gibson played in every game 2017 then was told "see ya" without seeing it coming. Why? Why play him every week then delist him yet never along the way without setting any expectations around the next season.

Even worse was Andrew Swallow. Seemed to just fade off our list unseen. A finals winning club captain limping off into the sunset without any feeling of finality. Made it look like all the "love the players" rhetoric was just a facade for falseness and emptiness.

A bit like spruiking your selfnessness and how you'll stand aside if it's best for the club... before collecting your full pay to sit in the south of France sipping some random bubbly.

Where were the farewell games for Majak, Browny, Jmac and Marley?

EVW had to wait over two months to know whether he was delisted or not.

And if you are over 30 how do you not have some self-awareness of where you are as a football player?

Where were the farewell games for Majak, Browny, Jmac and Marley?

EVW had to wait over two months to know whether he was delisted or not.

And if you are over 30 how do you not have some self-awareness of where you are as a football player?

That presumes Shaw was a great manager by some sort of inverse comparison to Scott. That's not the case.

Based on 2020 Shaw's man management was far, far inferior to Scott. I posted at the time that no matter what you say about Brad Scott, he wouldn't in a million years have treated Ben Brown so insensitively during a difficult time for him.

Agree that the delistings in 2020 suggested we have some way to go under this regime to handle this process better.

Disagree on the over 30 part. If nobody is performance managing you through the year and you're being played everytime you're available and nailing your performance criteria - then it's going to be confusing when you're suddenly called in and delisted.

That presumes Shaw was a great manager by some sort of inverse comparison to Scott. That's not the case.

Based on 2020 Shaw's man management was far, far inferior to Scott. I posted at the time that no matter what you say about Brad Scott, he wouldn't in a million years have treated Ben Brown so insensitively during a difficult time for him.

Agree that the delistings in 2020 suggested we have some way to go under this regime to handle this process better.

Disagree on the over 30 part. If nobody is performance managing you through the year and you're being played everytime you're available and nailing your performance criteria - then it's going to be confusing when you're suddenly called in and delisted.

And if you are 35 and injury prone and haven’t played more than 14 games in a season for the last 3 years?

And if you are 35 and injury prone and haven’t played more than 14 games in a season for the last 3 years?

Where are you going with this?

Did you interpret the individual player management as gold standard? Did you think there was any room for improvement from what you could tell? (ie your opinion)

Where are you going with this?

Did you interpret the individual player management as gold standard? Did you think there was any room for improvement from what you could tell? (ie your opinion)

Where am I going?

I think it’s obvious that no matter what your age is or how you think you may have performed your job is not always safe and the club shouldn’t have to sugarcoat it and dress it up with farewell games or hold your hand through the process.

Where am I going?

I think it’s obvious that no matter what your age is or how you think you may have performed your job is not always safe and the club shouldn’t have to sugarcoat it and dress it up with farewell games or hold your hand through the process.

??

Farwell games are a different discussion point.

Nick Larkey commented at the end of 2018 having no idea what his direction was. Sam Gibson was played every game in 2017 then abruptly delisted.

It was an area for improvement IMO. If you think the onus was on the player to know where they sit in the long term or to expect a randomly swinging axe to arrive, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nevertheless I think Ats will stay, I think they are giving him the wake up call of all wake up calls about actually getting a game next year

Tickets officially exhausted. Drats. Suppose it saves me an eight hour round trip.
Rest assured I will be spending Sunday afternoon prancing around the local pub in North gear and bothering the local chapter of the Crows Knitting Group.
i got mine late yesterday. It said allocation was exhausted, but thats for Crows. Our allocation is different and if you put your barcode in it comes up with availability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back