Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know what kind of grade (%) the hill is? There's an evil trail run called the Rollercoaster in the Dandenongs that has some ridiculous bits in it that barely anyone can run. The worst one is around 40%, which might not sound like much but is hard enough to walk up. I've never even tried to run it.
Not sure it's as bad as the one you speak of, I'll have to harden up and at least walk it in the next few weeks and see what elevation and gradient info my garmin gives, me. Won't be attempting to run it, my knees don't appreciate it these days. :'(

View attachment 1199646
Didn't realise the splits I put up yesterday were from when I turn around after an hour. Ran the full length this morning and took 11 minutes off my previous best time which was satisfying.
Beautiful run, although the tip was a bit whiffier than usual. Running through low cloud on the way out so no views, but the eucalypt forests in fog with the winter sun weakly shining through was eerily beautiful. Saw a robin redbreast I've never seen in that area before too.
On the way back the cloud lifted and there were magnificent views of the Victorian Alps. So much snow, which of course is a bit of a slap in the face for the businesses there, but makes for a great scene from here.

Elite. So good. Great run

I ran a little 5k TT for myself not long ago. Broke a PB by going under 20:50 for the first time

Fell apart in terms of cadence and mechanics in the last few hundred metres

Screenshot_20210819-232619~2.png

and I won’t disagree with what your saying. I guess why sessions like those are labeled as ‘Fartlek’ are because its continuous running even with the slow recovery jog, which doesn’t allow your HR to get back down.

my goal is a better 2km time as my s&c coach knows. the first rep I did was way to fast 🤣 and on Garmin you just see my splits get longer. Honestly because it was my first session I always strive to be better all feedback is good feedback.

im not afraid to say, I was mentally ******* weak, I’m getting better but I always tell myself “one more set, one more”

my usual interval sessions are 200m sprint 200m walk, where I can get quality reps in with the walk recovery
Fartlek used to be something completely random. You might run 800m at a jog then sprint for 150, then jog for another 100, run at a brisk pace for 500, sprint for 50 jog for a couple minutes then run 400m in a minute then jog 400 to recover then run for 800 at about 75% 800m pace run 100 flat out, then slow, then flat out again then slow then run for about a km to finish off at whatever pace you like. Or some other random mix. if there were hills you might make some sprints on the way up. Its all random.

Its a Swedish word meaning fart at your training mates then leg it.

One of the reasons it might be good to not walk recovery is if you're training to play footy you are training your mind as well as your body and its alot easier to get to the next contest if you are still running after your last sprint effort. its part of developing the mental strength you will need to keep pushing yourself.

Been doing 1 interval class a week for the last 4 weeks. 1st time I've stepped inside a gym in my life.

17 stations. 20 second effort, 10 break, 40 effort. 25 second break to the next station.

I'm ****ed at the end of it, little bit stiff the next day and then can't move the following day.

I've actually enjoyed it, except burpees, they suck.

Poop. The trail running event I was aiming at (Wonderland) has been cancelled (for the second year straight). Need to find something else to train for.

Poop. The trail running event I was aiming at (Wonderland) has been cancelled (for the second year straight). Need to find something else to train for.

I've been missing the Rapid Ascent events. COVID has really been a blessing and a curse

You guys are machines.

Was going to see if anyone used fitness social apps like Strava etc. but think the weekly Parkrun (outside lockdown) was disheartening enough haha.

I’d highly recommend everyone get one of these journals! It’s made especially for athletic performance and it’s a great gift for your kid. Lucky enough I was able to get one for free and it’s the best thing I have gotten
B00E7D33-31D5-4238-BD21-55B7D377A91F.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too high?

My area is mainly all hills.
Seems very high, particularly if you aren't in your teens or twenties. It's very hilly where I live but my HR probably wouldn't get to 173 even when murdering myself up one of them, let alone 201.

I have a Garmin with a chest strap HRM and it was regularly giving silly readings that were 30 to 60 beats too high. (It would start off normally and then jump up for no apparent reason.) I read that it might be due to too much salt buildup. Apparently you're meant to wash them in clean water every week or two and mine hadn't been washed in um... several years. Soaked mine. It started working properly again.

I'm also a bit suspicious of the ones with wrist based HRMs. I've read that they're not meant to be accurate during high intensity sessions and have seen some strange numbers from friends' ones.

Seems very high, particularly if you aren't in your teens or twenties. It's very hilly where I live but my HR probably wouldn't get to 173 even when murdering myself up one of them, let alone 201.

I have a Garmin with a chest strap HRM and it was regularly giving silly readings that were 30 to 60 beats too high. (It would start off normally and then jump up for no apparent reason.) I read that it might be due to too much salt buildup. Apparently you're meant to wash them in clean water every week or two and mine hadn't been washed in um... several years. Soaked mine. It started working properly again.

I'm also a bit suspicious of the ones with wrist based HRMs. I've read that they're not meant to be accurate during high intensity sessions and have seen some strange numbers from friends' ones.
Yeah, doesn't help with my weight. I have a Polar heart rate watch and HR belt but only had the belt on yesterday. I might switch the watch on again on my next ride.

There is a bigfooty Strava group that I've been part of for a while. https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/running-thread-join-our-strava-club.976706/

Avid runner here - 5k pb 18:32 and Marathon 2:51. Have also run NYC, Boston, Tokyo and Paris Marathons. Great way to see the world. Good to see you guys getting stuck in.

Breaking three hours is a fair effort, I've only done the Canberra marathon, which was a few years ago, I did that in 3.02. Although my lead up to it was not ideal, but that's another story.

One good thing about lockdown is actually focusing on running as opposed to weights, my splits have dropped appreciably this year because of it. It's also nice to see my abs again, like being reintroduced to an old friend.

Elite. So good. Great run

I ran a little 5k TT for myself not long ago. Broke a PB by going under 20:50 for the first time

Fell apart in terms of cadence and mechanics in the last few hundred metres

View attachment 1210955

Great run, my goal is to always run the last 1k fastest, this also helps with pacing and maintaining a lower heart rate .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You guys are machines.

Was going to see if anyone used fitness social apps like Strava etc. but think the weekly Parkrun (outside lockdown) was disheartening enough haha.
I only joined Strava recently, despite friends having been on it for years. Quite like it. I only follow a few people but when you see them put in a lot of sessions it makes you think you ought get out and do something. Still haven't managed to do a Parkrun. There wasn't one near me until fairly recently.

Breaking three hours is a fair effort, I've only done the Canberra marathon, which was a few years ago, I did that in 3.02. Although my lead up to it was not ideal, but that's another story.

One good thing about lockdown is actually focusing on running as opposed to weights, my splits have dropped appreciably this year because of it. It's also nice to see my abs again, like being reintroduced to an old friend.

If you're running 3:02 at Canberra then a sub 3 is inevitable. Pretty hilly course. Melbourne is actually quite flat, the first 32kms are fine, a bit hilly up around The Tan, but if you grit the teeth and get through it, it's not that bad.

If you're running 3:02 at Canberra then a sub 3 is inevitable. Pretty hilly course. Melbourne is actually quite flat, the first 32kms are fine, a bit hilly up around The Tan, but if you grit the teeth and get through it, it's not that bad.

Interesting, I had thought Canberra was one of the faster Marathons in Australia, but I'm not at the level of fitness at the moment, my longest run this month was only about 9km with around 3.50 splits, so a long way to go to get back there.
Maybe I'll use the Melbourne Marathon as a training goal for my 40th next year.

Plenty of us are just happy to see our toes again!

Interesting, I had thought Canberra was one of the faster Marathons in Australia, but I'm not at the level of fitness at the moment, my longest run this month was only about 9km with around 3.50 splits, so a long way to go to get back there.
Maybe I'll use the Melbourne Marathon as a training goal for my 40th next year.
Melbourne is a fast course and there are pace groups. Just lock onto the 3 hour group and you'll be in business. The only problem is what to aim for after that if you like round numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back