Portfolio 2023 AFL Premiership Season

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Hmmmmm where?

Well, perhaps the portfolio that I did, which I have since noticed that you had an early post acknowledging that you took "inspiration" from me.

Personally I think you need to be careful not to take too much inspiration, and make sure what you put together is still primarily your own thoughts and ideas. I can't help but feel that you've just copied the exact look, feel and general design language of my presentation. Add in the fact your Ballarat home jumper is more or less my Canberra home jumper, as well as a few other smaller things throughout the folio, and it feels less like you took inspiration and more like you just wanted to blatantly copy it. If I can be brutal for a moment, looking at it this morning I thought it was the Wish version of my folio.

Just to be clear, the concept of your own version of the league is fine. Pretty much everyone on this board has done something along those lines at some point. But everybody puts their own spin on it, and its important to make sure all elements of your designing - not just the jumpers themselves - is your own work.

Well, perhaps the portfolio that I did, which I have since noticed that you had an early post acknowledging that you took "inspiration" from me.

Personally I think you need to be careful not to take too much inspiration, and make sure what you put together is still primarily your own thoughts and ideas. I can't help but feel that you've just copied the exact look, feel and general design language of my presentation. Add in the fact your Ballarat home jumper is more or less my Canberra home jumper, as well as a few other smaller things throughout the folio, and it feels less like you took inspiration and more like you just wanted to blatantly copy it. If I can be brutal for a moment, looking at it this morning I thought it was the Wish version of my folio.

Just to be clear, the concept of your own version of the league is fine. Pretty much everyone on this board has done something along those lines at some point. But everybody puts their own spin on it, and its important to make sure all elements of your designing - not just the jumpers themselves - is your own work.

I completely understand what you are saying, and yes I did 'copy' a lot of features from blueprint. I was just making a project for lockdown cause it seemed really fun. I've browsed bigfooty consistently for around 3 weeks now loving all the stuff people have made and I just wanted to make the same things cause they were amazing. Although, I didn't want to take the shine off your blueprint and am sorry for making this mistake. I will be changing copied things from here on out and again am sorry for this.

Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Chill out, mate. These designs are great to see, and it's awesome to see others being supportive. There's no need for petty gatekeeping on a footy blog, where it's just a bit of fun and people can share their creativity. A comment like this will turn this website into an echo chamber, and dissuade new people from contributing. I'm sure no one but you picked up on similarities within these these posts, so this was unnecessarily harsh. Even if you feel that it's too close, there's better ways of informing a new contributor of the processes of this site than the way you did. As a moderator since '06, we should expect better.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Chill out, mate. These designs are great to see, and it's awesome to see others being supportive. There's no need for petty gatekeeping on a footy blog, where it's just a bit of fun and people can share their creativity. A comment like this will turn this website into an echo chamber, and dissuade new people from contributing. I'm sure no one but you picked up on similarities within these these posts, so this was unnecessarily harsh. Even if you feel that it's too close, there's better ways of informing a new contributor of the processes of this site than the way you did. As a moderator since '06, we should expect better.

Sorry but as a long time member of this board, I have to strongly disagree with you.

When it comes to designs and peoples intellectual property is very much something we all like to protect and will usually come in strongly with our comments. It is fine for people to take a small amount of inspiration from designs as this does happen all the time, design would not progress without inspiration, but there is a very fine line that needs to be respected, and the original designer (no matter who they are or what level of power they have on the board) is fully in their right to call someone out on it if they find that their designs are being copied (even if credit is given).

It may be harsh, but we all have seen examples of this in the past and it needs to be said that there is an unwritten rule that you do not just use someone's designs even for inspiration and claim them as your own, other wise it becomes a major issue as others feel that if someone has done it, then it will be fine for them to do it as well.

Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry but as a long time member of this board, I have to strongly disagree with you.

When it comes to designs and peoples intellectual property is very much something we all like to protect and will usually come in strongly with our comments. It is fine for people to take a small amount of inspiration from designs as this does happen all the time, design would not progress without inspiration, but there is a very fine line that needs to be respected, and the original designer (no matter who they are or what level of power they have on the board) is fully in their right to call someone out on it if they find that their designs are being copied.

It may be harsh, but we all have seen examples of this in the past and it needs to be said that there is an unwritten rule that you do not just use someone's designs even for inspiration and claim them as your own, other wise it becomes a major issue as others feel that if someone has done it, then it will be fine for them to do it as well.

I agree, but there was such a better way of going about it. It's just a footy blog, and new members need to be supported. If they go too far, then it is the moderator's responsibility to guide them, and point them in the right direction. This is his first ever contribution, and it looks like he has put some real effort into it. I'm not saying we just let it go as a free-for-all, but perhaps we can message them privately, or show them examples. That comment was disgusting, and it will turn the entire website into only a few contributors who have built up enough capital, acting as gate keepers. It will turn newcomers off, and make them not want to contribute.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I agree, but there was such a better way of going about it. It's just a footy blog, and new members need to be supported. If they go too far, then it is the moderator's responsibility to guide them, and point them in the right direction. This is his first ever contribution, and it looks like he has put some real effort into it. I'm not saying we just let it go as a free-for-all, but perhaps we can message them privately, or show them examples. That comment was disgusting, and it will turn the entire website into only a few contributors who have built up enough capital, acting as gate keepers. It will turn newcomers off, and make them not want to contribute.

The whole moderator thing does not come into it in this case. It is purely the designer calling someone out about using their designs, their role on this board means nothing.

We have had many newbies come on here, make mistakes and get called out for it (some for far worse things). The majority have learned from their mistakes and have become better for the experience. It may seem harsh, but really in the design world, this is actually pretty tame.

Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

When it comes to designs and peoples intellectual property is very much something we all like to protect and will usually come in strongly with our comments. It is fine for people to take a small amount of inspiration from designs as this does happen all the time, design would not progress without inspiration, but there is a very fine line that needs to be respected, and the original designer (no matter who they are or what level of power they have on the board) is fully in their right to call someone out on it if they find that their designs are being copied (even if credit is given).

The whole moderator thing does not come into it in this case. It is purely the designer calling someone out about using their designs, their role on this board means nothing.

We have had many newbies come on here, make mistakes and get called out for it (some for far worse things). The majority have learned from their mistakes and have become better for the experience. It may seem harsh, but really in the design world, this is actually pretty tame.

I completely understand that people want to protect their ideas, I feel sorry for the guy. I felt the posts were of a high quality, and there's been a lot of effort put into it. I wouldn't think that he purposely went out to steal designs, so as a community, Big Footy needs to be more supportive. I've seen plenty of forums where original members become tyrants, and jump down the neck of anyone trying to join. In this way, I disagree with you that the positions mean nothing. If I posted something for the first time, and the moderator berated me and said that my posts "were Wish versions" of his, I'd be pretty upset and not want to contribute anymore. Is that what we want?

I don't feel that you can own a way of showing content such as the expansion idea, which seems to be the main issue of the OP. As he said, "most people have done this idea". So the only real issue is the Canberra jersey, which is merely a navy jersey with a blue yoke. To me, the response seemed incredibly over the top.

To add to this, i've realised my mistakes and I'm working on making this better, and different.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I completely understand that people want to protect their ideas, I feel sorry for the guy. I felt the posts were of a high quality, and there's been a lot of effort put into it. I wouldn't think that he purposely went out to steal designs, so as a community, Big Footy needs to be more supportive. I've seen plenty of forums where original members become tyrants, and jump down the neck of anyone trying to join. In this way, I disagree with you that the positions mean nothing. If I posted something for the first time, and the moderator berated me and said that my posts "were Wish versions" of his, I'd be pretty upset and not want to contribute anymore. Is that what we want?

I don't feel that you can own a way of showing content such as the expansion idea, which seems to be the main issue of the OP. As he said, "most people have done this idea". So the only real issue is the Canberra jersey, which is merely a navy jersey with a blue yoke. To me, the response seemed incredibly over the top.

Well I can understand where he was coming from though. Seeing designs that are basically yours being presented by someone else as theirs is something at creates an anger and to voice it is only human. Wording comes from that mindset and it is just something that happens.

There is no issue with anyone doing an expansion or what if style project, many of us have done them, and some have done multiple (myself included), and inspiration is always taken in these projects. But the main issue that arose with this one (which is now being corrected) is that unlike many where the inspiration is taken from the real world, this one used inspiration from others on the board and pushed the line of original and plagiarised which is a very tricky thing to do especially early on. Which is why it is usually best to not take inspiration from designers on the same board as it is far more obvious when designs end up looking similar (and sometimes it can be even more offensive to a person if they feel that their design has been copied but to a poor standard compared to their own - of course this is totally a personal experience).

I can also understand where you are coming from, but having been here long enough to see how blatant people have been in the past with copying designs and claiming them as their own, I can also completely understand the reaction that was given, but I still do not feel that a persons role comes into play on here, if they are talking about their own work, if it had been in the act as a mod talking about another persons work then I would look at it differently.

To add to this, i've realised my mistakes and I'm working on making this better, and different.
Not just that, the way its setout as well is basically copied, which again I shouldn't have done

And that is the way that we all learn and move forward. Happy to hear this, and that you have understood your mistake and are rectifying it.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
UPDATE
After my complete screw over mess, I decided to just make everything now and release it all at once. I will repost the first few teams as well. I might just delete this and restart a new thread but i'm not sure at the moment.
I've found it's much more satisfying to finish a portfolio privately and then post it all when it's completed. On top of that it allows you to come back and change designs when a better idea comes to mind, and best of all you're not rushed, you complete the portfolio at your own pace.

But can't wait to see what you come up with, always good to have new blokes like yourself on here to bring some fresh ideas.

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
UPDATE
After my complete screw over mess, I decided to just make everything now and release it all at once. I will repost the first few teams as well. I might just delete this and restart a new thread but i'm not sure at the moment.

Looking forward to it, have loved the work so far.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Don't mean to back over this a week after the fact, but I read it while I was at work and didn't get a chance to respond, and then I forgot about it. But I still thought it important to respond.

I appreciate your point of view, but I'm still going to stand by everything I said. It is certainly not "petty gatekeeping" to protect your own ideas and designs, and whether anybody else notices or not is completely irrelevant. I actually thought I was pretty considerate in my response to be honest. I certainly didn't fly off the handle or shout abuse. I acknowledged that SCG had credited me, but also pointed out that there is a line between inspiration and plagiarism and that in this case, things crossed that line. One or two similarities would have been fine, but the whole tone of the project was the same. If I didn't say anything at all, he may have continued in other areas to (deliberately or not) use other peoples work and could find himself in a lot more trouble. One only needs to look at Port Adelaide's Indigenous jumper this year, which was a completely ripped off design, to see how deep a hole someone can find themselves in if they're not careful.

I would also have thought that as a moderator of a design forum, ensuring each posters work is actually their own is probably a key responsibility. I would do and have done the same even when it isn't my work. We're a very welcoming and supportive community here, but there are certain expectations we have of all posters and copying other peoples work is very much frowned upon. I'm thrilled to hear that SCG has taken the feedback on board and can't wait to see what he puts out moving forward. As a first folio the quality is fantastic and I'm sure that will continue.

Update 3
This is just gonna be something I edit to give everyone an idea of where I'm up to :)

Adelaide- ✅

Ballarat- ✅

Brisbane- ✅

Cairns- ✅

Canberra- ✅

Carlton- ✅

Collingwood- ✅

Essendon- ✅

Fremantle- ✅

Geelong- ✅

Gold Coast- ✅

GWS-✅

Hawthorn- ✅

Melbourne- ✅

Newcastle- ✅

North Melbourne- ✅

Northern- ✅

Port Adelaide-✅

Richmond-✅

St. Kilda- ✅

Sydney- ✅

Tasmania- ✅

West Coast- ✅

Western- ✅

Last edited:
Main Info
Tuesday January 23rd 2023

Welcome to season 2023. After a long off season, footy is finally coming back to the fans delight. Since the beginning of 2020 the world has seen a different AFL. Covid affected all of the 2020 and 2021 seasons. But as we moved into 2022 Covid started to become a thing of the past and footy would be back to normal, or so we thought.

Heading into the season Gillon McLachlan announced the removal of pre season, AFL only available on TVs in major cities and the removal of all AFL games at all home games played in Tasmania, Canberra, Ballarat and the Northern Territory. For the next 8 rounds teams and supporters weren't enjoying this new AFL and hoped for a revival. So all 18 teams took the initiative, and went on strike. They protested for months trying to remove these changes and especially remove McLachlan. Eventually the season was cancelled with no winner. McLachlan was fired on the 27th of July, bringing an end to his 8 years in power.

On the same day it was announced that young football loving businessman Super C. Giants was to take the reign of AFL Chief Executive Officer. His claim was to fix football for good. Now we sit here 224 days later, with 6 new teams, a new AFLX and Magic Round, and a happy worldwide fanbase.

In the upcoming weeks, fixture are to released, teams will unveil new kits, the 6 new team identities will be revealed and a supposed new AFL logo is set to arrive. All I can say is I would be looking forward to this season, it will be one of the best the AFL has seen in years.

Back