Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

fingertip touches by the defending team, Who gives a fu**.

I forgot that one but with you 100% also. Before the video review half the goals almost would have brushed a finger. It should be treated the same way marking contests are, where no one looks at it too closely unless it's clearly been touched first.

St.Kilda remain a blight on the Comp. They and North should never have been admitted to the VFL. Port Melbourne were really the go.

St.Kilda have added near zero to the comp, beyond W's in their Oppos win column for nearly a century.

I say amalgamate the resources of Carlton, North and the Saints and take back their licenses.

Issue new licenses to a viable mob in Tassie and Port Melbourne.
I'd have favoured dogs / Roos as NW dogs.
Saint and Melbourne as Bayside demons

Tassie saintd

NT Roos

Kill Gc

Merge Hawks and Saints, they can have all of SE Melbourne. Rebrand as the Monash Hawks and have a brown gold and red tri-panel jumper.

Merge Hawks and Saints, they can have all of SE Melbourne. Rebrand as the Monash Hawks and have a brown gold and red tri-panel jumper.
dont merge the most successful team in all of our lifetimes

The AFL should have brought in a team from Tasmania before they set up a woman's competition.
The women's comp is more about PR that anything else
Yes there should be women's comp, but the Tassie team should have come before that
Just another case of AFL house saying "Look at us aren't we wonderful for having a women's comp"

The women's comp is more about PR that anything else
Yes there should be women's comp, but the Tassie team should have come before that
Just another case of AFL house saying "Look at us aren't we wonderful for having a women's comp"
It was unashamedly and intentionally designed to attract more (and a wider range of) sponsors

I prefer watching footy now than in the past. I tend to prefer wide angle shots that show more of the field, aside from action shots, to give a better sense of where the players are, over the cameras that always seemed to be moving too fast, and don't show enough. I actually tend to prefer commentators now too, sure they've many flaws and can be biased but they at least show some excitement.

Despite the fact there is another thread or two dedicated to this:

Expand the AFL to 20 teams, include Tasmania and Canberra based teams, then split the competition into two,
with a Premier and Standard league.

To determine who plays in what league initially, give all clubs three years notice to either finish on average
above 10th on the ladder and/or not rely on 'extra' financial handouts from the AFL during or by the end of this period.

Teams from both leagues play each other twice during H&A seasons with the top 4 from each league forming a top 8 for the finals
as is today.

After the first two seasons of the new format, the top and bottom two teams are either promoted or relegated across the leagues every year.

Moreover the bottom two teams in the standard league are on a rolling three year notice that if they continually under perform, at the discretion of the AFL, their operating licenses will be revoked and/or reallocated to a new team/s. No exemptions permitted for expansion or new teams, simply be competitive and value add to the sport on and/or off the field for continued existence.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but David Teague is being unfairly treated by all and sundry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree.

It’s been a 3 month farewell tour to a player who should’ve arguably retired 2 years ago.

Enough already.

It's probably not that unpopular but I'm not a fan of players being carried to milestones.

Burgoyne probably would have retired already if not for the soft cap changes meaning he can effectively play as an assistant coach. I'm glad he's retiring on 407 games rather than an even 400 given the medi sub rule saw him sit an entire game out and play 16% and 27% of two others. Marc Murphy a lot worse, limped to 300 and was the medi sub 4 times in his last 7 games.

Meanwhile Shannon Hurn just became our first 200 gamer, Dave Mundy broke the Freo games record and is playing great footy, Travis Boak has found a second wind etc. Sucks if you are a Dave McKay or Chris Mayne who finishes up just short of a milestone figure but that's footy.

Anyone else feel Rowells year this year was a worry? Averaged 13 touches a game as an inside mid. I know he is a 2nd year player but that is real plodder territory.

The knee and shoulder must still be bothering him.

Is Shaun Burgoyne going to have a personal motorcade around each finals venue this weekend in honour of his retirement? Australia Post going to release a commemorative stamp set to honour the 3 month farewell?

In case anybody didn't know, he has retired.

I too am horrified at the amount of attention a 407 game, 4x premiership, AA team player is receiving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back