Rumour Dew gone

Remove this Banner Ad

So this was the Suns' 11th season. Their highest finish was 12th in 2014. This will be their 8th season in the bottom four.

Imagine the AFL had a crystal ball back in 2008 or whenever they gave the Suns the green light. Imagine they could have foreseen the ways the Suns would struggle for more than a decade and counting. Would they still have brought the Suns in?

It would be fascinating to know how the Giants succeeded where the Suns failed.
They brought in Sheedy, we had McKenna.
They brought in Ward,Cornes, Brogan,MacDonald, all leaders.
We brought in Ablett a complete non leader. Screwed ourselves from the start

They brought in Sheedy, we had McKenna.
I'm not sure that tells us much.

Sheedy was long gone by the time the Giants made finals in 2016. And if you look at McKenna's record, he was harshly treated. In 2014, he had the Suns 7-2 after 10 rounds and sitting in the top 8 at the end of R16. Ablett got injured and the wheels fell off. GC slumped to 12th and then sacked McKenna. Who's fault was that?

They brought in Ward,Cornes, Brogan,MacDonald, all leaders.
We brought in Ablett a complete non leader. Screwed ourselves from the start
Again, Ward is the only A-grade recruit of that GWS bunch. The others were old blokes at the end of their careers. Ablett won a Brownlow at the Suns. I'm not sure you can blame him for 11 years of mediocrity.

Sheedy was long gone by the time the Giants made finals in 2016. And if you look at McKenna's record, he was harshly treated. In 2014, he had the Suns 7-2 after 10 rounds and sitting in the top 8 at the end of R16. Ablett got injured and the wheels fell off. GC slumped to 12th and then sacked McKenna. Who's fault was that?

Again, Ward is the only A-grade recruit of that GWS bunch. The others were old blokes at the end of their careers. Ablett won a Brownlow at the Suns. I'm not sure you can blame him for 11 years of mediocrity.
Im talking about leaders, blokes who create training habits and drive on field and off field culture. Instead we got Ablett as captain who split the playing group in half between the party boys and the prayer squad. It ****ed us

Im talking about leaders, blokes who create training habits and drive on field and off field culture. Instead we got Ablett as captain who split the playing group in half between the party boys and the prayer squad. It f’ed us
If you had more players with Ablett's standards you'd probably have been better off.

Im talking about leaders, blokes who create training habits and drive on field and off field culture. Instead we got Ablett as captain who split the playing group in half between the party boys and the prayer squad. It f’ed us

Good point.
Seems like the Suns are or were divided between hard core Christians and bad boys.

As posted above, I know reasons and rules were different but it seemed GWS tried to add experienced pieces and coaching from the start. Gold Coast seemed to slap a coaching group together and drafted differently. Seems that GWS seemed to always move on players that would get them good draft capital and rinse and repeat. Carlton and Essendon in particular keep giving them good picks 😝

So this was the Suns' 11th season. Their highest finish was 12th in 2014. This will be their 8th season in the bottom four.

Imagine the AFL had a crystal ball back in 2008 or whenever they gave the Suns the green light. Imagine they could have foreseen the ways the Suns would struggle for more than a decade and counting. Would they still have brought the Suns in?

Look at AFL participation among kids and adults in QLD, and you'd arrive at an answer of yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at AFL participation among kids and adults in QLD, and you'd arrive at an answer of yes.
That's the only argument we ever here for the Suns. Ozkick.

Absolutely no evidence this can't have been the same result via the Lions or via Southport Sharks.

People make out like the Suns are driving Ozkick participants. More likely it's the overall demographics of the GC and would have happened anyway.

Last edited:
That's the only argument we ever here for the Suns. Ozkick.

Absolutely no evidence this can't have been the same result via the Lions or via Southport Sharks.

People make out like the Suns are driving Ozkick participants. More likely it's the demographics of the GC and would have happened anyway.
Or just by attracting more little girls because of AFLW.

The point re Cornes, Brogan and McDonald isn't about how much juice they had left in the tank, the draft was always going to provide that in terms of future finals tilts. It's that they were uncompromising players and set cultural standards. Suns didn't go down that path and it's cost them.

Last edited:
Can't believe we actually asked Sydney to release him so he could be the next coach after Paul Roos

Dodged a bullet
Easy to say now 12 months on with Melbourne on top. A change of tune for many Dees fans who wanted Goody gone last year.

It would be fascinating to know how the Giants succeeded where the Suns failed.

very different approach to list management in a first few years.GWS brought in a lot of old guys who were cooked on the field but could at least help set a high standard off the field. GC didn’t do this and you’re seeing the result of it now. GWS built their list in a far superior way, comparatively, in my opinion.

They also brought in Campbell Brown what a success he was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back