We need to talk about Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think we need to talk about Oscar.

We need more to talk about a support ruck for Oscar. Oscar can be either first ruck or support ruck, but we need a competitive partner. Ideally Oscar is better suited to the support role given his capability to mark and kick a goal up forward, but with good backup he can handle the main role.

Fullerton may be the answer but probably not just yet; like many ex basketballers he needs to get stronger and get comfortable with the physical side of football/rucking.

A mature ruckman with a year or two left in him would be ideal. Steff would have been good but it looks like we made the right call on him given his injuries this year.

I think our forwardline is much better without Oscar. He was a very average forward

beardancer

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So Big O is our 1st ruck....I guess that's a given. With Fullarton looking ok but not great, Kalin Lane looking super impressive but a way off yet, How about a left field choice for next year.

Jack Payne.

Just think about it. The guy is super strong and he's only going to get bigger and stronger. Strong leap and good with the ball on the ground. Just think of him as a new version of Steph Martin.

So Big O is our 1st ruck....I guess that's a given. With Fullarton looking ok but not great, Kalin Lane looking super impressive but a way off yet, How about a left field choice for next year.

Jack Payne.

Just think about it. The guy is super strong and he's only going to get bigger and stronger. Strong leap and good with the ball on the ground. Just think of him as a new version of Steph Martin.

Steph started as a CHB at the Demons, IIRC.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Payne could look to move forward or ruck or something.

Although Adams not been on the park all the time
Dizzy shoulder has problems
Payne himself been on and off the track.

Not sure we had many weeks with all the above three available. Even Lester been out injured as well.
I seen good things in Lane.. really depends what we do with Archie.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope NicNats knee doesnt break him in half. Luv the Big O. Cant believe he had that shocker against Tiges......only human I guess.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
2 big scalps in the last couple of weeks against clear top 5 ruckman. Darcy and Grundy are no mugs, so very proud of our big man. Massive test coming up this week against Nic Nat who can make the competitions best look second rate when he is on. Really looking forward to watching this matchup.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank fu** we won’t play Natanui in the finals

Not the first ruck Naitanui has schooled and won't be the last. Goddamn, he was a problem all game though. Didn't run out of gas as he usually does either. 73% game time all in the ruck. What a gun.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not the first ruck Naitanui has schooled and won't be the last. Goddamn, he was a problem all game though. Didn't run out of gas as he usually does either. 73% game time all in the ruck. What a gun.

Supports the idea behind the thread. Oscar getting belted in the ruck like he is very capable of being really hurts us. Coming up against Gawn next week could be a worry

Supports the idea behind the thread. Oscar getting belted in the ruck like he is very capable of being really hurts us. Coming up against Gawn next week could be a worry

When we played Dees last year Gawn won the hitouts by a huge margin but we were walking it out with ease. Symbiotic relationship. Oscar struggles in the hit outs against the elite ruckman, mids need to lift in that instance and shark the ball and we know historically that they can.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When we played Dees last year Gawn won the hitouts by a huge margin but we were walking it out with ease. Symbiotic relationship. Oscar struggles in the hit outs against the elite ruckman, mids need to lift in that instance and shark the ball and we know historically that they can.

In the first half we did.

We had 82 tackles today. A huge amount but we needed Oscar to stop Natanui getting the ball himself or giving silver service to Yeo and Shuey

It’s a lot tougher winning the ball back against top teams. We can’t rely on that

In the first half we did.

We had 82 tackles today. A huge amount but we needed Oscar to stop Natanui getting the ball himself or giving silver service to Yeo and Shuey

It’s a lot tougher winning the ball back against top teams. We can’t rely on that

True, there were times where NicNat just opted to take the ball out of the ruck and Oscar gave nothing in terms of mitigating it. He needs to work on it. Some of his taps there's legit nothing you can do though on Yeo I did note there was a lot of times he could have been stopped after receiving it but he was simply too strong and the tackles were either shrugged or didn't stop him disposing the ball.

Beats getting him in a prelim

For a big guy nic nat endurance was incredible tonight, oscar was clearly beaten but he did some good things def contributed
He knew it was all or nothing and put his team on his back. Amazing effort.

When Naitanui is in the mood there's no one in the game that can stop him. I always watch the ruck closely because NN is such a joy to watch.

I don't think that spells danger signs for the finals because there isn't another ruckman in the comp that dominates on the ground and in the air like he does. He's fourth(!!) in the comp for clearances and first for hitouts to advantage. Gawn could dominate the air but if you shark the tap and block well its not unbeatable.

Back