Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For people doubting Lewis, guess the other player. (Lewis on the right)

1629602477956.png

He needs to put on some upper body strength. He doesn’t really have much muscle definition just yet. I hope Lewis can develop his game so he can end up being the second ruck.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
Each game shows a little bit more improvement

Love the way he has competed at the aerial contests and also his work up to the wings to present targets in transition

Has had his injury setbacks which hasn't helped development, and as we know the taller guys take that bit longer to grow into themselves. Hopefully he can just keep building and building

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Would love Kosi, Jeka and Lewis to become our version of Daniher/Hipwood/McStay or Kennedy/Darling/Allen.

Would just love Mitchell to get a run at it. Has managed over 20 goals in two incomplete seasons. Surely at his best he can get close to 35/40 majors. I genuinely think it's possible.

Kicked a goal in every game he played this season but more importantly he improved his work defensively which was a huge knock I had on him at the start of the year. Still plenty of improvement to be had with his agility and tackling but he was no longer being stepped around like a witches hat which we saw a few times early in the year.

Fingers crossed he can have a big preseason and really work on some areas of his game to make him a more complete forward. A bit of extra size will let him crash some packs which I would love for him to bring into his game.

What is also pleasing is we have the likes of Kosi, Jeka and Callow all pushing for the forward spot which should drive all of them to improve as much as possible. Shaping up to be a very good late draft gem if he continues his trajectory upwards.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
People forget that fitness matters.
Need to give players coming back from long absences a bit more slack.
Lewis' contested marking is elite and it will only get better as he gets stronger.

Elite? Not sure if serious. He's well placed for a key forward at the current stage of his development, but 1.8 contested marks a game is a long way from being elite. As an example, for other key forwards: McKay (2.6), Dixon (2.5), King (2.4), Naughton (2.4), Darcy Cameron (2.2)... Mitch was ranked 19th for average contested marks by key forwards in 2021. Hopefully with a good pre-season and he can get over 2.0 per game in 2022 and end up top 10.

Elite? Not sure if serious. He's well placed for a key forward at the current stage of his development, but 1.8 contested marks a game is a long way from being elite. As an example, for other key forwards: McKay (2.6), Dixon (2.5), King (2.4), Naughton (2.4), Darcy Cameron (2.2)... Mitch was ranked 19th for average contested marks by key forwards in 2021. Hopefully with a good pre-season and he can get over 2.0 per game in 2022 and end up top 10.
Not in conflict to your post C-L-A as I know it's not the point you were making, but contested marking is a bit of a weird one for me.

I'd much rather he average ZERO contested marks a week, because he takes 8+ uncontested chest marks on the lead after dropping his opponent.

Any side relying on their KPF taking contested marks as a strong part of their plan is going to really struggle (outside of Supercoach).

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was actually 11th. 21st league wide.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Lewis took a step forward this year after a really poor 2020. With niggling injuries and not much consistency, his output as a strong key forward was probably about average for the comp. Plenty better and worse.

A solid B grade year for him based on where he was at heading into the season. Next season I hope he can hold the same kind of consistency that saw him kick a goal in every game but hopefully have more spikes in form where he's a difference maker.

More time developing with Kosi, Jeka, Moore and Brocky will hopefully give our forwards some much needed familiarity and chemistry. Most of the front six changed in one season so hopefully they push through the growing pains a bit more next year.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
McKay, Dixon, King, Darcy Cameron all get targeted as no1 forwards like at all times. McKay has like no one else who is performing and they go to him, every time. Dixon the same even tho they have others he's targeted alot. King the same and Darcy Cameron the same (Pies have like no key fwds) with Naughton he's just a freak but the fact is. Lewis isn't being targeted nearly as much and if he did he'd be on par. In 2019 when he broke out late in the year, his average of contested marks and goals was 3 contested marks per game with 2 goals which was a month period at the end of the season, that was when he was fit and firing, he hasn't gotten back to that 100% yet and will. He'll also improve on that. So yes what i'm trying to say is his hands are elite and contested marking is elite. Was top 3 in the comp at one stage early in the year on avg.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Not in conflict to your post C-L-A as I know it's not the point you were making, but contested marking is a bit of a weird one for me.

I'd much rather he average ZERO contested marks a week, because he takes 8+ uncontested chest marks on the lead after dropping his opponent.

Any side relying on their KPF taking contested marks as a strong part of their plan is going to really struggle (outside of Supercoach).

Agreed. Oh the days of Jason Dunstall leading from the goal square, taking a mark out in front or on his chest, turning around, going through his routine and banging it through the middle. With Lewis, Kosi, Moore and Brockers we have four bits of the jigsaw puzzle for the future. Interested to see if Jeka or Callow make it and whether Josh Morris, Hanrahan, Pepper, Seamus or Saunders put their hands up next year.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Post draft there were a number of AFL recruiters kicking themselves that they didn't draft Lewis at the time. He showed a lot in the VFL early on kicking bags on a regular basis and had some genuine buzz from within the club IIRC.

His early games were really promising from debut with his now infamous end to that year sky-rocketing our expectations.

Hub life was hard for him, shoulder surgery probably more so.

He's still a genuine kid in AFL and key position terms who ideally would have someone like Patton alongside him taking the main KPD.

He's got some fantastic, developable AFL traits and clearly has the ability to play well in patches.

I'm a Supercoach nerd, and his contribution to the game is pleasingly much higher than most young KPF when they come into the system - same with Reeves to be honest! Most are cranking out 40s and 50s but he's consistently dropping 60s, 70s and 80+ which is unique at his age.

For context, he consistently has a bigger impact on games than both Max and Ben King (based on SC) up to this point. Clearly they've shown an elite ceiling and probably will shoot past him (and most likely everyone else) in the next year or two but the reality is Mitch is holding his own atm.

He may not put it all together right away but I'm excited by what he can become from games 50-100 in the brown and gold!

Last edited:

Dragz

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Mitchy just needs the consistency of playing every week.

If he can avoid injuries and we can move the ball fast, he’s been a pretty decent forward for us all things considered.

I like the lad and see glimmers of the power swaggering forward that we probably all want. Whether he can do it or not, who knows? But I think it’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
If he can hit packs hard and lead up field he looks like a very good player as he is a big unit and a good congested mark. When he drops off intensity or ball hits the deck he looks horrible.
Simialr To Kosi he has some flaws - let’s hope it doesn’t stop him becoming a very good key forward - as we need it.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he can hit packs hard and lead up field he looks like a very good player as he is a big unit and a good congested mark. When he drops off intensity or ball hits the deck he looks horrible.
Simialr To Kosi he has some flaws - let’s hope it doesn’t stop him becoming a very good key forward - as we need it.
Idk, he's been pretty good when it hits the deck (when hes fit back end of 2019 and consistently this year).

Back