2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
MUSE is another one for me.... Just dont / Didnt get the hype.

Interested to know what you like, as Muse are one of my all time favourites

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Interested to know what you like, as Muse are one of my all time favourites

Yeh, Different strokes for Different Folks.

My all time favourite is hard to determine, but Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin and AC/DC would be the main ones.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Yeh, Different strokes for Different Folks.

My all time favourite is hard to determine, but Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin and AC/DC would be the main ones.

You're very much a 60s, 70s and some 80s rock/metal guy it seems

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Hahah pretty much mate. No doubt there are plenty of folks that cant see the hype about those three bands ...

I think all three of those bands have earned their place in rock hall of fame

I don't tend to get the urge to listen to them much, but I do respect all of them

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Right at the moment I could add any contemporary country - particularly American - band or singer.
How the f*** do people keep listening to the same story over and over again:

‘I don’t need to be rich to be happy I’ve got my high school sweetheart wife making me pumpkin pie and my American flag and that’s all I want.
Oh, and here’s a 1-4-5-dominant minor chord progression to go with it.’

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Right at the moment I could add any contemporary country - particularly American - band or singer.

‘I don’t need to be rich to be happy I’ve got my high school sweetheart wife making me pumpkin pie and my American flag and that’s all I want.

Hahah I hear ya mate, Terrible genre of music IMO

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Yep, not a huge fan of the old 'country and western', but you can blame John Denver, Kenny Rodgers, perhaps Willie Nelson for creating this niche and lucrative predominately US market/following - however occasionally someone in this genre will get off their arse write and perform a classic, like Alan Jackson did in 2003 with 'Remember When'.
Beautifully written and produced, it was played at a mates funeral a few years ago and I still struggle to get past the first minute...

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, not a huge fan of the old 'country and western', but you can blame John Denver, Kenny Rodgers, perhaps Willie Nelson for creating this niche and lucrative predominately US market/following - however occasionally someone in this genre will get off their arse write and perform a classic, like Alan Jackson did in 2003 with 'Remember When'.
Beautifully written and produced, it was played at a mates funeral a few years ago and I still struggle to get past the first minute...

I have a soft spot for Alan Jackson due to Its 5 O’clock Somewhere’ which makes smile, and Chattahoochee which has a bit of cult status among my mates and I. I will have a listen to this one in a bit cheers mate

Good country is great!
Bad country is ******* horrible. (Like any genre really)
I must admit I didn’t like it until a bit later in life, but there is some great stuff out there.
This is an example. The first song he ever wrote apparently.
I first heard it on the tv series ‘Ozark’ and just had to find it.
Yeah, his voice sounds very ‘country’ but such dark lyrics.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It took me quite a long time to really get Prince. I went through a massive funk & soul stage during my late teens and early 20s and during that time I couldn't get with Prince at all. It was only after I moved into a different phase of musical obsession (don't get me wrong though, I still love funk and soul) that I started to really love his stuff. But there is a bunch of terrible music he made too. The posthumous album that was just released is horribly unenjoyable.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
It took me quite a long time to really get Prince. I went through a massive funk & soul stage during my late teens and early 20s and during that time I couldn't get with Prince at all. It was only after I moved into a different phase of musical obsession (don't get me wrong though, I still love funk and soul) that I started to really love his stuff. But there is a bunch of terrible music he made too. The posthumous album that was just released is horribly unenjoyable.
What album would a good starting point be?

The Drones.

I've tried. Lord knows I've tried. But they do absolutely nothing for me.
Shark Fin Blues is a great song, but otherwise I struggle with them. I appreciate that they are talented musicians and that Liddiard is a phenomenonal lyricist, but his vocals grate on me.

The Smiths as well for me. Excellent musicians, especially Johnny Marr (love the guitar in Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want) but Morrisey is a whiny campaigner who brings the band down.

Eagles just bore me.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

FMD, sounds like you needed to live in the British music scene of early 80's to get away from all the pumpkin pie stuff and get the gloomy British mood of time into your soul.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
What album would a good starting point be?
I never really listened to any Prince myself until heard Sign of the Times album. But I remember as a kid, I did like the guitar riffs on Let' Go Crazy.
But since then gone back and listened to a lot of his stuff and so many different styles he had. The stuff I listen to least of his is some of jazzy stuff , but love the deep funky stuff or heavy guitar riff stuff the most. I probably heard less than 10% of his stuff. Can just go random on youtube and find any random jamming sessions recorded and half of them are amazing in themselves.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Prince has a lot of decent albums in diverse styles that are worth owning, but yeah Sign of the Times is the only one I'd consider an all-time fave and essential.

Radiohead
Dated terribly for me,hardly listen to them anymore,need happy music and they are dark,usually listened to by the upper middle class who dress in op shop clothes.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Prince has a lot of decent albums in diverse styles that are worth owning, but yeah Sign of the Times is the only one I'd consider an all-time fave and essential.
A 'super deluxe' version got reissued last that went for 4+ hours. Was my first true foray into Prince (only listened to his hits prior) and was fantastic.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
A 'super deluxe' version got reissued last that went for 4+ hours. Was my first true foray into Prince (only listened to his hits prior) and was fantastic.

I never got into him myself but as a guitarist he was very very underated.

Back