Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

His aerial work was poor, his movement and ground level stuff was silky
Yep, aerial work has been average since his return to the side. Absolutely needs to work on strength in the marking contest over pre-season. However, he is 18 and naturally will start to develop more strength over the next couple of seasons. Couldn't have asked for more in a debut season for a key forward.

Against a very bad side.

Keays can't play right side, it kills us against good teams.

I omitted him from my list because I thought he was older than 25. He is part of that list though. Just not as a prime mid.

I hope Schoenberg, Pedlar, Berry, Pick 4 and maybe even Scholl are our prime mids (from what we have now) in that 2025 plus era.

Keays after that. With better mids, a great option on wing/flank.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
84% DE today. Close to best on ground.

Yep, aerial work has been average since his return to the side. Absolutely needs to work on strength in the marking contest over pre-season. However, he is 18 and naturally will start to develop more strength over the next couple of seasons. Couldn't have asked for more in a debut season for a key forward.
It's more the reading the ball in the air he's struggling with

Just running to the wrong spot

RT had 18 touches and kicked a goal. Had a couple of iffy moments, but it wasn't a 'shocker'.

He was in the play much more than recently, but was pretty poor. The goal was a fluke, he didn't make a centre bounce, dropped an easy mark on the lead, and did not impose himself on the contest, for the most part.

However, on exactly one occasion, he actually threw his opponent out of the way! That's the first time I've seen that, and it should be the way of the future. ;)

I’m gonna give some love to Ben Davis. Hasn’t set the world on fire but has been composed the last few weeks and was good again today.
It wasn’t until seeing him in the middle for the song tonight that I realised that it was his first win since being on our list since 2016.

Not sure if it’s enough to get him a new contract, but if he doesn’t get one then at least it was a good way to go out.

Yeah, a nothing game in the end and one that should send a shiver down the spine of each of Norths 8 supporters in the league. Free hit against an equivalent opponent, potential to make a statement that they're in better shape then the ladder implies and they were completely uncompetitive, to the point we left a statement win on the table. They might be developing a soft underbelly.

On our end it's a nothing game to the point that the only thing I feel like writing is job done, and we move on to the offseason.

Last edited:
Pretty much what everyone else has said, some decent cameos from our youngsters.

Really liked Schoenberg today, looks so balanced when in traffic.
Jones continues to make great strides, never deviates off the line and his goal was a gem.
Strachan (not that young) has given the list managers a lot to think about, deserves a new contract.
Cook is class, 19 touches in his third game is a great result.
I’m a massive Ned fan, has upped his offensive game in the last few weeks to match his defensive effort, looking forward to seeing how he develops next season.
Fog did one or two nice things, as did Thilthorpe.
Gollant showed plenty, got his hands to the ball first in a few marking contests, with another 5-10kgs of muscle, he clunks those.
Butts is a rock.

And I wish we had Tarryn Thomas, he is an absolute gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, a nothing game in the end and one that should send a shiver down the spine of each of Norths 8 supporters in the league. Free hit against an equivalent opponent and they were completely uncompetitive, to the point we left a statement win on the table. They might be developing a soft underbelly.

Nothing to the point that the only thing I feel like writing is job done, and we move on to the offseason.
They were so disgusting it makes analysing the game a pointless waste of time.

You know how D Mac seems to have a heap of fans on Facebook? Well my seat tonight was next to their Queen

She was in raptures the whole game marvelling at every possession, including the easy shot he sprayed early (Ohhh!!! He kicks those 99 times out of 100)

Was my comeuppance

LOL 1.3 from four shots is the epitome of his career.

I’m gonna give some love to Ben Davis. Hasn’t set the world on fire but has been composed the last few weeks and was good again today.
It wasn’t until seeing him in the middle for the song tonight that I realised that it was his first win since being on our list since 2016.

Not sure if it’s enough to get him a new contract, but if he doesn’t get one then at least it was a good way to go out.

Davis is a difficult one and to be honest, the difficulty is on us. We should have had him in defense earlier... a sensible haircut, silky foot skills, there is a lot to like but do we run Milera through HBF next year or do we play him higher up?

Having Davis in the back half means we struggle for real defenders but...but our rebound looks very good. If we give him another year, then play him until we know, not where we kinda think he might be OK

Bad - Frampton getting slung into the hard deck outside the boundary line with a half-sling motion. Frampton landed flat on his face! Should have been called "dangerous tackle". Have seen a lot less damaging tackles been paid for in the recent weeks. Was an absolute howler of a decision.

Good - finishing on a semi-high with a solid win for our retiring champions.

So good it made me smile non-stop for 5 minutes - 3 consecutive goals in the last quarter - DMac, Gollant then Lynch. Seeing so much team spirit and camaraderie in those minutes with all the pack-hugs and hair-rubs - it was back to basics footy, in a good way! :hearteyes:

A slightly different take.

Good: nearly beating a full strength port power side when we were not just undermanned going into the game but also during the game, losing to top ranked melbourne when the umpires had a massive say in the clinches in that game in their favor and now flogging north to round out the season...all without walker being there. Bodes well for life post tex should we not see him in the tri colours again

7 wins with the least experienced side in the comp says we ARE heading in the right direction with a very important preseason and fingers crossed balme and burgess to come in..exciting times ahead

I think the current group is finals bound in a few years. But still doesn't have enough talent to push it into being a contender.

Players like Shoenberg, Thilthorpe, McHenry, Fogarty, Cook, Berry, Pedlar, Jones and Sholl will keep me eagerly watching for the next few years. But we still need more elite talent. I have my fingers and toes crossed for this draft.

So, I'm at a loss as to what to take away from the game.

I get it was a farewell game but damn we basically decided to sacrifice picks 2 and 3 so Mackay and Lynch can smile. Last time I checked, that doesn't win us a premiership.

That win hurt and im not sure it was worth it at all.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get it was a farewell game but damn we basically decided to sacrifice picks 2 and 3 so Mackay and Lynch can smile. Last time I checked, that doesn't win us a premiership.

There is nothing to take out from that game, maybe outside of we handled Mackay and Lynch departures well (and a shame we couldn't include Talia in it).

Mind you, North were that bad that the only way I could see us losing it is if we spent the whole game kicking the ball through their goals.

I wish we had lost too but North were so bad, im not convinced selecting youngsters instead of Lynch and Mackay would have made any difference.

I wish we had lost too but North were so bad, im not covinced selecting youngsters instead of Lynch and Mackay would have made any difference.
Obviously we went in with the want to win the game. But that was dumb by the club. Unless they genuinely think the player they want will be there at 4. Either way that's the story we will be spun now in the face of criticism. Yet again proves the club is poor on strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back