Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I'm at a loss as to what to take away from the game.

I get it was a farewell game but damn we basically decided to sacrifice picks 2 and 3 so Mackay and Lynch can smile. Last time I checked, that doesn't win us a premiership.

That win hurt and im not sure it was worth it at all.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You cannot buy what we built in this game. A total belief of playing FOR each other. So, so important as we move forward as a group.

Fyfe not a great kick, either is Dangerfoeld, or Oliver

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They are all far better kicks than keays and wines though..

Seriously.. 9 times out of 10 keays just dump kicks a a helicopter to absolutely no one. Sometimes, by some divine miracle, they drop into the lap of a team mate.

Then there’s his handballing.. calling them erratic is an understatement. That one he did to straunie yesterday.. * me…. Just ran straight at the bigfella and fired of a handball at a million miles an hour towards his head.. no wonder the big fella had trouble controlling it.

He tries harder than everyone on the ground does Ben.. but his skills are terrible.

As for Wines.. his kicks could go anywhere.

Seriously.. 9 times out of 10 keays just dump kicks a a helicopter to absolutely no one. Sometimes, by some divine miracle, they drop into the lap of a team mate.

Then there’s his handballing.. calling them erratic is an understatement. That one he did to straunie yesterday.. fu** me…. Just ran straight at the bigfella and fired of a handball at a million miles an hour towards his head.. no wonder the big fella had trouble controlling it.

He tries harder than everyone on the ground does Ben.. but his skills are terrible.

84% DE in this game. Hardly hack status.

Fyfe not a great kick, either is Dangerfoeld, or Oliver

I see Keays as a slightly better version of Taranto

Both naturally attacking players, both by gaining as many metres as they can, by kicking more than handballing, and by pushing forward and kicking goals. Both turnover prone by foot. Both aggressive tacklers. Keays gains more metres and is a better clearance winner, but Taranto probably better overhead

Most importantly, both are absolutely effective players. I will never understand the Keays hate

Both naturally attacking players, both by gaining as many metres as they can, by kicking more than handballing, and by pushing forward and kicking goals. Both turnover prone by foot. Both aggressive tacklers. Keays gains more metres and is a better clearance winner, but Taranto probably better overhead

Most importantly, both are absolutely effective players. I will never understand the Keays hate
Keays work rate and effort is off the charts

People that judge his kicking need to understand how hard he works to either win the footy, or to recieve the footy

There is a reason why some of the absolute elite mids don't have high DE, they are either always winning the ball under pressure, or they have work extremely hard to recieve the ball

Totally agree with the value he brings to our team, and club

Strange season from McAdam. Overall lost ground on 2020 though a couple of times still showed has has weapons at this level.

McPherson also a strange season. Promising 2020, patchy to poor largely in 2021, finished with a very good month or so of footy.
Both players had real extremes in their form

McAdam showed now energy or enthusiasm earlier in the year, put yesterday's effort needs to be his new baseline.

McPherson, who by the end of last year was Mr Reliable, however the first part of this year was making so many horrible errors.....his last month has seen him get back to the reliable type of footy

Then there’s his handballing.. calling them erratic is an understatement. That one he did to straunie yesterday.. fu** me…. Just ran straight at the bigfella and fired of a handball at a million miles an hour towards his head.. no wonder the big fella had trouble controlling it.

Agree on Keays. If Keays could kick properly he would be elite. He lacks composure at times and only has one gear. Manic. Wines has had a good year. If he doesn't stand up in the finals they won't go very far.

Hates a bit of a stretch..

I love keays.. love his endevour, love how much effort he puts in.. and seems a bloody great team man.

Just think hes a very limited footballer with poor skills.

Just think once guys like Berry, pedlar, shoenberg, our 1st rounder this year and a couple others hit their straps I think with his limited skills he’ll get quickly overtaken.

Be very happy to have him go back to the sanfl to lead the youth though.. as I said the other day.. if ben keays’s endevour and effort rubbed off onto your youth it could only be a good thing.

I love keays.. love his endevour, love how much effort he puts in.. and seems a bloody great team man.

Just think once guys like Berry, pedlar, shoenberg, our 1st rounder this year and a couple others hit their straps I think with his limited skills he’ll get quickly overtaken.

Be very happy to have him go back to the sanfl to lead the youth though.. as I said the other day.. if ben keays’s endevour and effort rubbed off onto your youth it could only be a good thing.
28 disposals, 6 tackles, 4 marks, half a goal, 5 1/2 clearances, 5 1/2 inside 50s and 423 metres gained per game is not what I'd call 'very limited'

More likely your analysis is "limited"....

28 disposals, 6 tackles, 4 marks, half a goal, 5 1/2 clearances, 5 1/2 inside 50s and 423 metres gained per game is not what I'd call 'very limited'
….. against the wooden spooner who, lets face it, didnt even bother turning up yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be dropping down a couple of spots in the draft, but it will be a happier group of players going for the big end of season trip to West Beach BIG4

I think the current group is finals bound in a few years. But still doesn't have enough talent to push it into being a contender.

Players like Shoenberg, Thilthorpe, McHenry, Fogarty, Cook, Berry, Pedlar, Jones and Sholl will keep me eagerly watching for the next few years. But we still need more elite talent. I have my fingers and toes crossed for this draft.
I think the phrase 'we are on the right track' fits perfectly

Good:
McHenry and Jones are getting better, huge improvement this year.
Gollant looks like he has some x factor, which is badly needed up forward
Thilthorpe is one of those players that is being eternally kissed by the football gods.
Strachan's hands are excellent and hit up a couple of shorter kicks.
Ben Keays is a gun, works so hard and his disposal has improved out of sight.
I feel like our new nucleus is taking shape, I wish Newchurch would come on or we get Stengle back in.

Bad:
Lairds disposal is shoddy
Our forward line is pretty average and we can't convert so many opportunities
Sloane shouldn't have been playing, went one handed at so many tackles.

Most of us predicted we would win 6-8 games this year and we did that.

My opinion on Keays is that he will improve exponentially. We have a few trolls on this site , same as the Tex thread. How can anyone not see how Keays has improved from his first match last year. Will poll high in the B/F. Big call but I see Dusty qualities about him (not same level atm). He is a bull with the ball.

Obviously we went in with the want to win the game. But that was dumb by the club. Unless they genuinely think the player they want will be there at 4. Either way that's the story we will be spun now in the face of criticism. Yet again proves the club is poor on strategy.

Honestly, this is complete dribble.

We played one of the youngest sides we could have put out there. And the last thing you do is put a side out deliberately to lose - FFS, how many times do people need to see how tanking ruins clubs for a decade before they realise it DOESN'T work??

This isn't the NBA, where one small difference in one draft pick can transform your team.

We're FAR better off installing a team wide culture of supporting each other and putting winning first. Play kids, absolutely - but teach them to win.

I can fix that.
He wasn't as useless as when he plays forward, but I reckon he lacks footy nous for a bloke who's been around AFL for as long as he has. Slow decision-maker.
Positions himself poorly, seems to freeze when he gets possession which makes him an easy target for a tackler, doesn't do anything that makes me react with "Oh, that was good".

I'd love to see him develop into a really good defensive player at AFL level, but I doubt it.
I disagree - he's athletic and tall, has the right mix of strength and aggro, and about as dumb as a defender should be. I think he is worth persevering with.

Obviously we went in with the want to win the game. But that was dumb by the club. Unless they genuinely think the player they want will be there at 4. Either way that's the story we will be spun now in the face of criticism. Yet again proves the club is poor on strategy.

How do you propose we actually lose that game yesterday? North were so bad they butchered a goal when they had a player 20 metres clear at the top of the goal square - and the way they played, it wasn't even a surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back