Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Due to a restructure of the Queensland Talent Pathways, the Gold Coast SUNS has recently conducted a review of their Academy Programs to ensure we can identify, develop, and recruit the best playing and coaching talent in our Academy zones. As an outcome of this review the club has decided to advertise all roles within the Academy program.

We are now seeking applications for the following positions:

Academy Manager
Academy Coach - U17 Boys & Coach Development
Academy Coach - U19 Boys & VFL Development Coach
Academy Coach - Female Pathways
Academy Coordinator - Gold Coast & Northern Rivers

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Due to a restructure of the Queensland Talent Pathways, the Gold Coast SUNS has recently conducted a review of their Academy Programs to ensure we can identify, develop, and recruit the best playing and coaching talent in our Academy zones. As an outcome of this review the club has decided to advertise all roles within the Academy program.

We are now seeking applications for the following positions:

Academy Manager
Academy Coach - U17 Boys & Coach Development
Academy Coach - U19 Boys & VFL Development Coach
Academy Coach - Female Pathways
Academy Coordinator - Gold Coast & Northern Rivers

Good (expected) that they are reviewing these things regularly.

Interesting that every position is up for grabs - wonder how many current members will be advised not to bother re-applying..

Was just reading that the rookie Hewago Paul Oea who came through the academy program played for Papua New Guinea as a teenager in the 2017 International Cup - thought that was pretty cool. Surely the only prospect that has claim to originating from the International Cup!

Full combine list.

Northern Territory
Andy Moniz-Wakefield – NT Thunder
Ned Stevens – NT Thunder/Gold Coast Academy

Queensland
Will Bella – Gold Coast Academy
Austin Harris – Gold Coast Academy
Bodhi Uwland – Gold Coast Academy

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Courier Mail posted an article a few days ago that suggested we're likely to draft Will Bella next month which would make Lauren and Will the first brother-sister combination to play at the same AFL/W club at the same time.

I think anyone who watched Will Bella play this year would understand the raw talent he possesses and the enormous frame he's been blessed with. I'd be more than happy to draft him to our rookie list with our automatic academy access and just give him some time to continue his development in our VFL team. There's some serious potential there with Will.

The Courier Mail posted an article a few days ago that suggested we're likely to draft Will Bella next month which would make Lauren and Will the first brother-sister combination to play at the same AFL/W club at the same time.

I think anyone who watched Will Bella play this year would understand the raw talent he possesses and the enormous frame he's been blessed with. I'd be more than happy to draft him to our rookie list with our automatic academy access and just give him some time to continue his development in our VFL team. There's some serious potential there with Will.
Wouldn't be the first. That would be the Browns. With Tarni debuting earlier this year with brothers cal and tyler playing too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
AFL absolutely frothing at the PR
Brother sister combo
Famous rugby league family
From Mackay - rugby league heartland
Both products of the academy

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was just reading that the rookie Hewago Paul Oea who came through the academy program played for Papua New Guinea as a teenager in the 2017 International Cup - thought that was pretty cool. Surely the only prospect that has claim to originating from the International Cup!

I'd actually like to see the Suns academy expanded to include PNG. PNG already has 70k Aussie Rules participants. There could be a lot of untapped talent there.

PNG and Cairns already have close ties, so it seems like a natural extension. Set up something in Port Moresby, and if it's successful expand to other regions.

PNG has 9m people, so there could be a good international supporter base if the Suns become the club of choice for footy fans in PNG.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I'd actually like to see the Suns academy expanded to include PNG. PNG already has 70k Aussie Rules participants. There could be a lot of untapped talent there.

PNG and Cairns already have close ties, so it seems like a natural extension. Set up something in Port Moresby, and if it's successful expand to other regions.

PNG has 9m people, so there could be a good international supporter base if the Suns become the club of choice for footy fans in PNG.
Yeah it has so much potential! We could even sponsor the PNG national team in a similar way to how New Zealand was sponsored by the Hawks?. We have some ties with PNG with our inaugural AFLW coach David Lake coaching their national side to back to back International Cup wins in 2014 and 2017.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah it has so much potential! We could even sponsor the PNG national team in a similar way to how New Zealand was sponsored by the Hawks?. We have some ties with PNG with our inaugural AFLW coach David Lake coaching their national side to back to back International Cup wins in 2014 and 2017.

Exactly, PNG has made the final in all six editions. They've definitely got the talent. Combine that with earlier AFL-level coaching, there'd be a good chance for quite a bit of AFL talent.

The International Cup was supposed to held on the Sunshine Coast in 2020. If it's still there in 2023, it'd be pretty cool to host the Binatangs at Metricon.

PNG has increased the female participation in the past decade, too, so there could be a few AFLW gems.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

We have a hard enough time catering for our Queensland academy programme let alone covering the enormous costs that would come with making PNG work. Plus we've just recently added Darwin to our academy zone so that obviously adds more expenses. I see what you're saying but unless the AFL want to fund it, it's simply not going to happen.

If you're interested, we did draft a PNG lad who is nicknamed 'Ace' a few years back so the connection with PNG already exists.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have a hard enough time catering for our Queensland academy programme let alone covering the enormous costs that would come with making PNG work. Plus we've just recently added Darwin to our academy zone so that obviously adds more expenses. I see what you're saying but unless the AFL want to fund it, it's simply not going to happen.

If you're interested, we did draft a PNG lad who is nicknamed 'Ace' a few years back so the connection with PNG already exists.

I see your point. It's pie in the sky stuff for now, but if the AFL were to help fund it, you'd get a lot of bang for your buck there.

I was actually at the MCG for the 2017 International Cup grand final. Got to see Ace live, knew back then he'd be a gun.

SUN OF A GUN

Senior List
Dec 1, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Qld v Tasmania. U19 and U17.
24 September at Yeronga Footy grounds, Brisbane.

9f4ae365e16ff0e850f5975abb3fed86.jpg

Plenty of our best Academy prospects playing in both games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back