Rumour Dew gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Recruiting Dean Brogan 100 per cent contributes to making a GF 10 years later?

I don't think so.
if dean brogan taught the gws kids to work hard and jarred brennan taught the gc kids to go to the beach, then absolutely it does.

gc have not recruited a single senior player you would describe as a training role model. just look how much of a difference it makes to a team when cotchin stopped trying to be the best player, and just became the best role model.

• Initial list built - Suns acquired players in their prime who would keep younger guys out of the team for many years vs GWS signing older/more experienced players that would naturally be overtaken by the young guys in the first two/three years

You overlooked my favourite. Giants didn't spend 4 years trying to pretend Karmichael Hunt could play footy.

so the fact that they have never recruited senior leaders to set the example to the developing kids has nothing to do with their kids never developing?

They recruited Michael Barlow. Then barely played him, and delisted him despite him dominating at NEAFL level and them having a number of spuds on their list. He had 35 disposals and 9 marks in his last game at GCS and got delisted.

Meanwhile, De Boer is an integral part of the GWS best-22, as was Chris Mayne at Collingwood.

Gold Coast had a strong history of making bizarre list management decisions, whether that's been fixed in the last couple of years, who knows.

With Carlton I agree you could probably improve them a couple of ladder positions with a top coach.

Gold Coast will not improve with a change of coach with the current list.

With Carlton I agree you could probably improve them a couple of ladder positions with a top coach.

Gold Coast will not improve with a change of coach with the current list.

I find that hard to believe.

This is going over old news, but I always wondered why the AFL didn't create the new GC team out of the Southport Sharks. Even now, they still have the chance to get Southport onboard. A quick name change is not so bad. GC Sharks. New jumper, new management and the seconds can play in the VFL as the Southport Sharks (i.e. in the same manner as Footscray)

Then they would have a social club, a history and some members.

Am I being silly?

They recruited Michael Barlow. Then barely played him, and delisted him despite him dominating at NEAFL level and them having a number of spuds on their list. He had 35 disposals and 9 marks in his last game at GCS and got delisted.

Meanwhile, De Boer is an integral part of the GWS best-22, as was Chris Mayne at Collingwood.

Gold Coast had a strong history of making bizarre list management decisions, whether that's been fixed in the last couple of years, who knows.
Lyons also not good enough to be a mighty Sun apparently..

That decision alone is enough to end Dew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually not sure 'finals appearance' is a defining factor in club success during a period of time though. You can have finals appearances (ie. Essendon) and not be anywhere near winning one of those finals or a premiership. Carlton has played finals and not looked anywhere near it for almost 20 years. Same goes with Melbourne until this year.

St Kilda still hasn't won anything since the salary cap (1987) and draft era and has won considerably more wooden spoons
Carlton's only premierships during that time were due to salary cap cheating and has also won the same amount of wooden spoons in the last 11 years.
Essendon hasn't won a final in the last 17 years of salary cap and draft either.

King or Lukosius leaving would be a disaster. But it's not happening this season with both being contracted til 2022.

Like I said, move on Dew, but to act like this is some unseen before disaster is overlooking so much AFL history it makes my mind spin. You clearly weren't a Sydney fan back when they were relocated from South Melbourne or you'd remember them being as bad if not worse than the Suns are right now.
Bullshit.

This is going over old news, but I always wondered why the AFL didn't create the new GC team out of the Southport Sharks. Even now, they still have the chance to get Southport onboard. A quick name change is not so bad. GC Sharks. New jumper, new management and the seconds can play in the VFL as the Southport Sharks (i.e. in the same manner as Footscray)

Then they would have a social club, a history and some members.

Am I being silly?

Yep. Baffling why this never happened. Sharks are a massive small club and financially secure. Could have built from their history rather than invent a new team.

Yes, the AFL wouldn't risk losing face by making such a change.

Would have made a lot more sense, would have had a supporter base and facilities from the get-go if Southport had been willing (and I've no idea if they were or weren't).
same reason Port didn't get an AFL licence straight away. They arent the most loved club on the Coast due to their success at QAFL level over many years, would alienate many local supporters who have hated them.

Lynch, may, prestia , caddy, Lyons, Dickson
McKenzie , alot of experience and talent
That left the club , granted Lyons and McKenzie
We're let go , you could say they didn't want to lose the rest

Lynch, may, prestia , caddy, Lyons, Dickson
McKenzie , alot of experience and talent
That left the club , granted Lyons and McKenzie
We're let go , you could say they didn't want to lose the rest
So the question becomes: GWS also lost players but they kept enough of the good ones to build something stable. Why the difference?

So the question becomes: GWS also lost players but they kept enough of the good ones to build something stable. Why the difference?
Yeh it's a good question where the gws players that signed on Greene, Kelly seem invested into
What the club is selling to them where suns players can't wait to get out of the joint
Suns need to adress this otherwise they will be rebuilding forever.

I can't see that they'll push Dew out over the off season. If he's contracted until 2022, I think he stays where he is for now, especially with no real clarity on who might be a viable ready made replacement sitting with their phone in one hand and pen in the other.

But with this rumour that Pendles wants a 2 year contract with options to coach it sounds like a possible fit for him to do a Hodge-to-Brisbane on-field coach type role in his final playing year, and then either transition into that coaching role or serve as an assistant.

I can't see that they'll push Dew out over the off season. If he's contracted until 2022, I think he stays where he is for now, especially with no real clarity on who might be a viable ready made replacement sitting with their phone in one hand and pen in the other.
There's no real point sacking him unless they get a genuine, proven upgrade. It's a short list of coaches who might make it worthwhile.

Clarkson would be the dream. I guess they'd consider Lyon and maybe even Pyke. Would they ask Buckley? Otherwise, what's the point?

Are they going to sack Dew a year early to hire Blake Caracella or Adem Yze?

Sure, but I don't think there's a credible argument that GWS have done better because they had more opportunity at the draft. The Suns have had ample opportunity in terms of early picks.

Again, that affects GWS as well. Look at the players they've retained.

He's not a top-liner.

So you believe GWS has been more successful than the Suns. :thumbsu: You'd always hope to do it better next time & the AFL appear to have ignored the Brisbane Bears lessons following the failed relocation of North.
I believe the AFL just pushed on regardless .....

So you believe GWS has been more successful than the Suns.
That's self-evident when you look at ladder positions.

I'm saying that drafting/recruiting and then development/retention has been the biggest factor in explaining why.

I think people going all the way back to 2011 and emphasising the fact GWS recruited Chad Cornes and Dean Brogan, or even the early involvement of Kevin Sheedy - I think that meme has been ridiculously oversold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back