Are you sick of WCE spin and BS?

Remove this Banner Ad

You have no idea how much , as a former Coach myself, this pisses me off.
sh*t like that needs at the very least a benching and a spray from Simpson .... I only recall him doing it to Schofield a few years back.

Thank you.

I thought I was the only one who expected this

Don't know why people are so obsessed with the club telling us plebs everything.

Keep it behind closed doors and show the improvement on the field in 2022, idgaf what they want to tell the public.

Yeah Im more with this line of thinking but I also get annoyed when they do try to offer something like the now famous "Letter from the CEO" we get on Monday mornings. Keep it behind closed doors as we don't need to know the nitty gritty of each performance or lack thereof but in general it feels like we're being sold something by a used car salesman when they do open up.
But happy to have a laugh at it anyway as I know they are trying to placate the now upset fans who vent on Facebook.

The club doesn’t play out dramas via the media. It never has and probably never will.

You want to follow a club sacking coaches mid season, announcing ‘internal reviews’ that completely undermine the coach and make him look incompetent, completely shitting the bed on a succession plan? - maybe chuck in a Board spill?

Seriously, go follow another club (take your pick, there is plenty), because you won’t get that stuff from WCE.
People just like drama under the pretence of 'improving the club'.

Rarely do those things people suggest actually result in a club improving. I mean, just look at Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood, etc, over the past 30 years and you'll see fine examples of how a club gets destroyed by sacking coaches constantly fails to improve a club.

The only example I can think of when it's improved a club was the ousting of Grant Thomas for Ross Lyon.

I'm not saying Simmo shouldn't be held accountable for this year, but wanting to sack the coach every time a season doesn't go your way is pretty ridiculous.

As he's a proven performer (grand final in his second year and premiership in his 5th) there's not many others with his experience who would actually be better than him.

Ross? Hell no

Clarko? Maybe. Must say I've changed my opinion of him over the past 4 weeks but there's no way he'd stab a former assistant, and mate, in the back for a coaching gig.

Buckley? Pass

Brad Scott? Lol

Don Pyke? Maybe. Ruined the Adelaide club culture with his stubbornness over the Collective Minds camps but you'd presume he'd learnt from that debacle.

You can make all the off-kilter suggestions you want but they need to be realistic. Being realistic is acceptance that Simmo won't be sacked this off season and giving a proven premiership coach the opportunity to rebound.

If he goes down the route of pushing for a flag again, then anything other than a top 4 finish next season is a failure and his position should be reviewed.

If it's to develop a new game plan and bring through youth then as long as we see a complete change in style that is competitive and we blood some more players in actual positions they played in juniors then I'll consider that a pass.

Trading out your stable, older wife, for the hot but crazy younger woman isn't usually the smartest of decisions, as appealing as it can be sometimes.

sh*t like that needs at the very least a benching and a spray from Simpson .... I only recall him doing it to Schofield a few years back.
I wonder if the reduction in rotations would have an impact on this, especially in the last quarter.

Still, sometimes you've just got to make an example of someone and Cole should've been benched and given a bake, regardless of the massive flop from Berry.

The only coach in the league I see do it is Fagan at Brisbane, it’s almost as if it’s just acceptable these days to make big errors and not have to answer for it. Like you said mate, straight to the bench and go through it with them not just the mistake but the consequences which came from it.

To try to cover some of the issues raised here. As to the 'review'. Successful businesses do them regularly. (And hopefully not like the Carlton fiasco.) They can just be a part of every season's finale. And they don't have to be done via the media (indeed shouldn't be). However, at the conclusion of the review it would be nice to see problems had been identified, possible solutions canvassed and a summary of this put out for the benefit of the fans.

As to suggesting 'following another club', I've been following this one since Rd1 1987 when I went to Subi (and you?) I ain't changing clubs. But I do feel like every 'investor' I have a right to ask what is happening when a talented team is underperforming.

And 'benching for a spray'? (It used to be a runner could be sent out.) But agree it could be done. Similarly, with dropping an underperforming senior player - and straight up say 'omitted' not 'injured'. In both cases, with the media across every little thing, it is this public questioning of the player that hopefully will get a proud player responding.

If you are happy watching and not examining every "Simpson boo boo", well good for you. Enjoy your viewing. But kinda strange that such an apparent level of detachment brings involvement on this BB. Similarly, for the comment "have had enough of the emotional and illinformed drivvel on this site'. By all means feel free to move on then.

"If it's to develop a new game plan and bring through youth then as long as we see a complete change in style that is competitive and we blood some more players in actual positions they played in juniors then I'll consider that a pass." Yep that's about all I'm asking for. Totally agree that sacking the coach is extreme and - as yet - unjustified. But that doesn't mean his tactics, player mgt, choice of assistants etc etc shouldn't be analysed.

Three failing seasons In a row since 2019. You'd think 5 years of that would mean trouble for Simmo.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

My concern is not so much what happens to the coach (altho' impt) but I'm hopeful of more success from this very talented group. You only get such lists maybe every decade at best. As it is exceptionally hard to get a great list together you want to 'make hay while the sun is shining'. We ain't. Simple.

Sick of the BS and spin? Yeah maybe but I'm definitely sick of the constant emails for commercial details and Member specials. Feel like more focus on making dollars than winning games.

Sick of the BS and spin? Yeah maybe but I'm definitely sick of the constant emails for commercial details and Member specials. Feel like more focus on making dollars than winning games.
The people responsible for one aren’t responsible for the other.

The people responsible for those emails aren’t footy dept staff either so the club can spend what they like there free of AFL interference. Not liking the optics of it I understand, I wouldn’t want to be offered great club deals again and again as a perennial spoon team, but the practical link between the two is absolutely nil.

The people responsible for one aren’t responsible for the other.

The people responsible for those emails aren’t footy dept staff either so the club can spend what they like there free of AFL interference. Not liking the optics of it I understand, I wouldn’t want to be offered great club deals again and again as a perennial spoon team, but the practical link between the two is absolutely nil.

Exactly and you can unsubscribe at any time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. Now the only time you get sent to the bench is immediately after kicking a goal.

The club doesn’t play out dramas via the media. It never has and probably never will.

You want to follow a club sacking coaches mid season, announcing ‘internal reviews’ that completely undermine the coach and make him look incompetent, completely shitting the bed on a succession plan? - maybe chuck in a Board spill?

Seriously, go follow another club (take your pick, there is plenty), because you won’t get that stuff from WCE.
One of the pillars that has kept the club so strong for so long is because we don't s**t the bed at the first sign of adversity.

We almost always make the right appointments then we back them in and take advantage of our significant resources to give us the best chances on the field.

Clubs that play musical chairs with their footy departments (whether that's the head coach, assistant coaches or the players themselves) spend a lot more time in the bottom half of the ladder than the top half, and this isn't just clubs that struggle for resources for whom you can understand why this happens. That includes clubs that have no business in being consistently down the ladder like Essendon and Carlton.

I can see why it gives people the shits when they see the club always so composed externally even when it's obvious things aren't going to plan on the field. But I don't doubt for a second the conversations taking place inside the club walls are far different to what is being exposed to the general public.

We've been doing it this way for 35 years. Can't see it changing any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back