Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be stoked with Goater or Erasmus at our first pick.

Think Judson Clarke (despite that first name) would be worth a look with one of our picks in the early 20's. Zac Taylor also. We need players that offer a point of difference and I think all of these boys would.

i agree with most of your thoughts, the only difference would be i would like someone else other than Zac Taylor, if you want to know my thoughts on this years talent and what we may be looking for with our picks in the 20's heres a convenient range list i have prepared earlier, the players are listed, the ranges are underlined as you can see Ranges 15-31 are where our 2nd rounders sit, so 2 of them and i also like Erasmus and Goater for us, but if we think we want to go inside mid then Hobbs, Roberts and Johnson are worthy options too imo.

Elite Tier: Horne, Daicos, Darcy (Callaghan) Ranges:1-3 (4th)

Top Tier: Erasmus, Goater, Hobbs, Fahey, Johnson, Roberts (Sinn, Rachele, Ward, Long) Ranges:5-10 (11-14) for me there seems to be a clear top 10 from my PoV atm

2nd Tier: Amiss, Van Rooyen, Browne, Knevitt, Sonsie, MacDonald, Conway, Draper, Jackson, Wanganeen-Milera, Gibcus, Soligo, Chesser, Banks, Molan, Wilmot, Andrew (Clarke, Brown, Curtis, Williams, Burgoyne, C.Hamilton, Owens) Ranges:15-31 (32-38)

38 all up, was thinking maybe Lohmann or Warner and Dittmar - WA could work their way in or Uwland from GC-A?, work in progress, but this is how i see it atm...

i agree with most of your thoughts, the only difference would be i would like someone else other than Zac Taylor, if you want to know my thoughts on this years talent and what we may be looking for with our picks in the 20's heres a convenient range list i have prepared earlier, the players are listed, the ranges are underlined as you can see Ranges 15-31 are where our 2nd rounders sit, so 2 of them and i also like Erasmus and Goater for us, but if we think we want to go inside mid then Hobbs, Roberts and Johnson are worthy options too imo.

Elite Tier: Horne, Daicos, Darcy (Callaghan) Ranges:1-3 (4th)

Top Tier: Erasmus, Goater, Hobbs, Fahey, Johnson, Roberts (Sinn, Rachele, Ward, Long) Ranges:5-10 (11-14) for me there seems to be a clear top 10 from my PoV atm

2nd Tier: Amiss, Van Rooyen, Browne, Knevitt, Sonsie, MacDonald, Conway, Draper, Jackson, Wanganeen-Milera, Gibcus, Soligo, Chesser, Banks, Molan, Wilmot, Andrew (Clarke, Brown, Curtis, Williams, Burgoyne, C.Hamilton, Owens) Ranges:15-31 (32-38)

38 all up, was thinking maybe Lohmann or Warner and Dittmar - WA could work their way in or Uwland from GC-A?, work in progress, but this is how i see it atm...

I would be stunned if we selected another inside mid in all honesty. Even if they were considered to be 'best available' at that selection.

Thoughts on some WA Talent
just some thoughts on some WA Talent

Jye Amiss scoring 49.12 from 12 games, only kicked 2 goals this weekend, i also like how he plays, he is a tall skinny kid at the moment but he has a long reach and looks quite quick when in motion, looks like he has decent athleticism but i would like combine results or to see more game footage for a better understanding of how he plays

Jacob Van Rooyen scoring 21.9 from 5 games Colts, 3.3 from 5 games at League level earlier in the year when he was diagnosed with glandular fever, very athletic leading forward/defender, finding form now and looking good for the champs/finals

Jack Williams scoring 29.19 from 10 games Colts, strong bodied tall forw, also finding form now that we're leading into possible champs/finals to put his best foot forward.

Joshua Browne Averaging 32.9 disp from 10 games, scoring 8.6 and averaging 3 tackles and marks a game, liked what i have seen from him last year and this year, i have him in that 15-31 group atm

Neil Erasmus Averaging 28 disp from 4 games, 8 marks 4 tackles scoring 1.3 at Colts level in the mid, playing top tier footy in the Perth School footy(PSA) as well, very exciting talent who can play as well forward as he can midfield, should be one to watch for the champs/finals

Matthew Johnson Averaging 21.3 disp from 6 games, 4 marks, 6 tackles, scoring 3.1, had a game at reserves and 3 games in the WAFL where he was ok, but was played out of position and so was not as effective as he couldve been, but he is still young and has a slim frame.

other WA Talent to keep an eye out for Jesse Motlop, Corey Warner and Kade Dittmar

Last edited:

just some thoughts on some WA Talent

Jye Amiss 49.12 from 12 games, only kicked 2 goals this weekend, i also like how he plays, he is a tall skinny kid at the moment but he has a long reach and looks quite quick when in motion, looks like he has decent athleticism but i would like combine results or to see more game footage for a better understanding of how he plays

Jacob Van Rooyen 21.9 from 5 games Colts, 3.3 from 5 games at League level earlier in the year when he was diagnosed with glandular fever, very athletic leading forward/defender, finding form now and looking good for the champs/finals

Jack Williams 29.19 from 10 games Colts, strong bodied tall forw, also finding form now that we're leading into possible champs/finals to put his best foot forward.

Joshua Browne Averaging 32.9 disp from 10 games, scoring 8.6 and averaging 3 tackles and marks a game, liked what i have seen from him last year and this year, i have him in that 15-31 group atm

Neil Erasmus Averaging 28 disp from 4 games, 8 marks 4 tackles scoring 1.3 at Colts level in the mid, playing top tier footy in the Perth School footy(PSA) as well, very exciting talent who can play as well forward as he can midfield, should be one to watch for the champs/finals

Matthew Johnson Averaging 21.3 disp from 6 games, 4 marks, 6 tackles, scoring 3.1, had a game at reserves and 3 games in the WAFL where he was ok, but was played out of position and so was not as effective as he couldve been, but he is still young and has a slim frame.

other WA Talent to keep an eye out for Jesse Motlop, Corey Warner and Kade Dittmar
Watched three quarters of PsA game yesterday. Erasmus (Hale) V Motlop/Warner (Aquinas)

Erasmus- star of the show hands down. Composed, classy, smart and looks the goods. In a game that his team should have lost, he led from the front and dominated. At one point easily shrugged Warner off - they seemed to be two different levels of players.
Warner- interesting. Handballs it to someone in trouble and I’m sure he was wanting the old 1-2 handball back. More of an individual style of play. Not sure if I’d want him at the Eagles.
Motlop- had to remind myself he was even playing. I didn’t watch the last quarter but apparently he got a goal but I didn’t see it.
After the write up in the local rag last week of Motlop/Warner I expected this game to be of a highly contested nature. It was not at all. Aquinas lacked leadership and I’m wondering if last week was a case of flat track bullying over a very weak and young Guildford team. When up against quality, Aquinas really struggled to play as a team. Had Aquinas won that, they secured the cup but I think now they are a game behind with one week to go so there was a lot of the line and they were dismal.

Watched three quarters of PsA game yesterday. Erasmus (Hale) V Motlop/Warner (Aquinas)

Erasmus- star of the show hands down. Composed, classy, smart and looks the goods. In a game that his team should have lost, he led from the front and dominated. At one point easily shrugged Warner off - they seemed to be two different levels of players.
Warner- interesting. Handballs it to someone in trouble and I’m sure he was wanting the old 1-2 handball back. More of an individual style of play. Not sure if I’d want him at the Eagles.
Motlop- had to remind myself he was even playing. I didn’t watch the last quarter but apparently he got a goal but I didn’t see it.
After the write up in the local rag last week of Motlop/Warner I expected this game to be of a highly contested nature. It was not at all. Aquinas lacked leadership and I’m wondering if last week was a case of flat track bullying over a very weak and young Guildford team. When up against quality, Aquinas really struggled to play as a team. Had Aquinas won that, they secured the cup but I think now they are a game behind with one week to go so there was a lot of the line and they were dismal.
I took a fair bit from the younger crop from that game. Curtin, Gilbey and Condon all look like ripping prospects. Condon is looking like Luke Jackson 2.0

I took a fair bit from the younger crop from that game. Curtin, Gilbey and Condon all look like ripping prospects. Condon is looking like Luke Jackson 2.0
Agreed. Hale’s depth and overall quality was much better and I’m surprised they aren’t higher up their ladder.
Aquinas’s sole U17 member (not mentioning his name as I have been accused of being his Dad before) apparently out with injury. Might have made it slightly more interesting as I rate him.

On a positive for Warner and Motlop, I am not sure how closely the psa games are watched by the recruiters and they have both played wafl league so that keeps them up there.

Also, can’t see the WA V SA game happening here in Perth in 2 weeks unless WA’s border with SA is softened within that two week period. At this stage SA travellers into WA are required to quarantine for 14 days.

Agreed. Hale’s depth and overall quality was much better and I’m surprised they aren’t higher up their ladder.
Aquinas’s sole U17 member (not mentioning his name as I have been accused of being his Dad before) apparently out with injury. Might have made it slightly more interesting as I rate him.

On a positive for Warner and Motlop, I am not sure how closely the psa games are watched by the recruiters and they have both played wafl league so that keeps them up there.

Also, can’t see the WA V SA game happening here in Perth in 2 weeks unless WA’s border with SA is softened within that two week period. At this stage SA travellers into WA are required to quarantine for 14 days.
im curious, who is your son? :D

Edit: is it Jack Cleaver?

I didn’t see Curtin in this game. That said, with no commentary I was struggling at times to watch that many kids who I didn’t know who they were. Gilbey was very good off half back and Condon just gets better with each outing.

Thanks for the all work putting your thoughts together.

What separates Goater and Kvenitt - both seem bid bodied (190cm+) inside mids with athleticism.

What’s your concerns on Draper and Chesser? Is it more lack of performance rather than skills/talent?

Thanks for the all work putting your thoughts together.

What separates Goater and Kvenitt - both seem bid bodied (190cm+) inside mids with athleticism.

What’s your concerns on Draper and Chesser? Is it more lack of performance rather than skills/talent?

Goater is more your break away mid, has great acceleration to get out of contested situations to get into clear space, whereas Knevitt is more your classy user of the footy and smart handball/kick under pressure type.

Draper reminds me of Dylan Williams at Port Adelaide who had huge wraps only to drop a bit in his draft year, good mark on the lead and general forward ability with some midfield qualities as well, but when under pressure does the Tim O'Brien fall on the footy in fetal position thing, which frustrates me, definitely is a good player but i wouldnt be taking him top 10, i have him in the 15-31 group from what i have seen (imo).

Chesser is very skillful and has a lot to like about how he plays, but he went missing in his Vic Country game, also has been injury plagued which could be an issue in future as thats one of a few ways quality juniors fail to make it, one of the best users of the footy though, but i have him dropping to late first like Sinn because he doesnt perform under the pressure of state games in his draft year so far, which i think is important for potential top 10 types.

Top 30 from 2018-2020
Looking back over the last 3 drafts and who i think have impressed the most, so i decided to do a top 30 from 2018-2020 so here goes

1. Sam Walsh - Carlton
2. Ben King - Gold Coast
3. Luke Jackson - Melbourne
4. Zak Butters - Port Adel
5. Will Day - Hawthorn
6. Caleb Serong - Fremantle
7. Bailey Smith - Western
8. Connor Rozee - Port Adel
9. Max King - StKilda
10. Logan McDonald - Sydney
11. Matt Rowell - Gold Coast
12. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Western
13. Hayden Young - Fremantle
14. Nik Cox - Essendon
15. Kysaiah Pickett - Melbourne
16. Tom Powell - North Melb
17. Archie Perkins - Essendon
18. Riley Thilthorpe - Adelaide
19. Denver Grainger-Barras - Hawthorn
20. Mitch Georgiades - Port Adel
21. Oliver Henry - Collingwood
22. Tarryn Thomas - North Melb
23. Trent Rivers - Melbourne
24. Will Phillips - North Melb
25. Will Hamill - Adelaide
26. James Jordan - Melbourne
27. Harry Schoenberg - Adelaide
28. Tom Green - GWS
29. Jack Lukosius - Gold Coast
30. Lachlan Ash - GWS

others that just missed out, Finlay Macrae, Errol Gulden, Izak Rankine, Deven Robertson, Noah Anderson, Braeden Campbell, Xavier Duursma, Miles Bergman, Cody Weightman, Nick Blakey, Jordan Clark, Brodie Kemp, Jeremy Sharp, Sam Flanders, Ryan Byrnes, Trey Ruscoe, Lachie Jones, Caleb Poulter, Luke Edwards, Eddie Ford, Luke Parks, Josh Treacy, Laitham Vandermeer

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoy your insight mate, appreciate the time and effort you put into this and sharing with all of us.
North need to rebuild defence, interested to know your thoughts on defenders around the pick 21 mark? ( north 2nd pick), suspect JHF will be our first.
cheers

Really enjoy your insight mate, appreciate the time and effort you put into this and sharing with all of us.
North need to rebuild defence, interested to know your thoughts on defenders around the pick 21 mark? ( north 2nd pick), suspect JHF will be our first.
cheers

i rank Gibcus around that mark, but he has fans inside the top 10 it appears, so he would be a good pick around that mark, but a team will probably pull the trigger on selecting him prior, the only other defenders around that mark are general defenders as in Darcy Wilmot - Northern, Tom Brown - Murray, Charlie Molan - GWV and Sam Banks - Tas, the first 3 are good general defenders, who can intercept, run and carry and use the ball intelligently, Sam Banks is more a winger/hbf who can use run and carry and can possibly play midfield at a good level as well.

as for other KPD, if Gibcus is gone which is likely, you might want to try turning a forward into a KPD like Van Rooyen or Williams, or maybe look at Bazzo as an option? but it might be too early at 21 to pick Bazzo imo.

i rank Gibcus around that mark, but he has fans inside the top 10 it appears, so he would be a good pick around that mark, but a team will probably pull the trigger on selecting him prior, the only other defenders around that mark are general defenders as in Darcy Wilmot - Northern, Tom Brown - Murray, Charlie Molan - GWV and Sam Banks - Tas, the first 3 are good general defenders, who can intercept, run and carry and use the ball intelligently, Sam Banks is more a winger/hbf who can use run and carry and can possibly play midfield at a good level as well.

as for other KPD, if Gibcus is gone which is likely, you might want to try turning a forward into a KPD like Van Rooyen or Williams, or maybe look at Bazzo as an option? but it might be too early at 21 to pick Bazzo imo.
Thanks, hopefully Wilmot availabl, heard he goes ok

Looking back over the last 3 drafts and who i think have impressed the most, so i decided to do a top 30 from 2018-2020 so here goes

1. Sam Walsh - Carlton
2. Ben King - Gold Coast
5. Will Day - Hawthorn
9. Max King - StKilda
14. Nik Cox - Essendon
28. Tom Green - GWS
30. Lachlan Ash - GWS

others that just missed out, Finlay Macrae, Errol Gulden, Izak Rankine, Deven Robertson, Noah Anderson, Braeden Campbell, Xavier Duursma, Miles Bergman, Cody Weightman, Nick Blakey, Jordan Clark, Brodie Kemp, Jeremy Sharp, Sam Flanders, Ryan Byrnes, Trey Ruscoe, Lachie Jones, Caleb Poulter, Luke Edwards, Eddie Ford, Luke Parks, Josh Treacy, Laitham Vandermeer

Is this based on potential or exposed form?

Just curious as to why you've got Oli Henry and Will Phillips in the top 30 but not Cody Weightman or Xavier Duursma.

Is this based on potential or exposed form?

Just curious as to why you've got Oli Henry and Will Phillips in the top 30 but not Cody Weightman or Xavier Duursma.

i just threw it together for a bit of fun, obviously all these guys have talent

from my perspective i made a ranking list based on a mix of exposed form and potential, i dont know if you've seen Oliver Henry - Collingwood, but he has looked a special talent as a medium forw(i would stand by him being top 30, he is doing things a 200 gamer does) and Will Phillips when not played as a HFF has looked good at VFL and AFL in bursts, so its just that i like what i have seen and the potential of what could come, Cody Weightman is good also and Xavier Duursma is a solid midfielder too, (you could easily substitute both of them into the top 30) it was hard to make a top 30 as theres 50+ guys that you could switch around and different people see each player differently, but its a conversation starter or at the very least a good indication of what you can get in the draft in recent years.

Last edited:
i just threw it together for a bit of fun, obviously all these guys have talent

from my perspective i made a ranking list based on a mix of exposed form and potential, i dont know if you've seen Oliver Henry - Collingwood, but he has looked a special talent as a medium forw(i would stand by him being top 30, he is doing things a 200 gamer does) and Will Phillips when not played as a HFF has looked good at VFL and AFL in bursts, so its just that i like what i have seen and the potential of what could come, Cody Weightman is good also and Xavier Duursma is a solid midfielder too, (you could easily substitute both of them into the top 30) it was hard to make a top 30 as theres 50+ guys that you could switch around and different people see each player differently, but its a conversation starter or at the very least a good indication of what you can get in the draft in recent years.

I have watched Oli Henry closely this season. In his first couple of games I was a little bit worried he wasn't going to make it at the top level (premature of course). Has looked a talent in recent weeks however. Ditto Will Phillips.

Was curious if you were using a players potential as part of your rankings and it makes perfect sense that you have.

Phantom Draft - 23rd August 2021

1. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (bid)
2. Western - Sam Darcy (bid)
3. North Melb - Jason Horne-Francis
4. GWS - Finn Callaghan
5. Gold Coast - Josh Gibcus
6. Adelaide - Matthew Roberts
7. Hawthorn - Neil Erasmus
8. Carlton - Ben Hobbs
9. Richmond - Josh Sinn
10. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
11. StKilda - Josh Ward
12. WCE - Jacob Van Rooyen
13. Essendon - Josh Rachele
14. GWS - Tyler Sonsie
15. GWS - Josh Fahey (bid)
16. Sydney - Matthew Johnson
17. Brisbane - Mac Andrew
18. Richmond - Ned Long
19. Port Adel - Arlo Draper
20. Brisbane - Jack Williams
21. Gold Coast - Darcy Wilmot
22. North Melb - Joshua Browne
23. Hawthorn - Josh Goater
24. Gold Coast - Campbell Chesser
25. Adelaide - Hugh Jackson
26. Hawthorn - Mitch Knevitt
27. Carlton - Connor MacDonald
28. Richmond - Charlie Molan
29. Fremantle - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
30. Richmond - Sam Banks

1. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (bid)
2. Western - Sam Darcy (bid)
3. North Melb - Jason Horne-Francis
4. GWS - Finn Callaghan
5. Gold Coast - Josh Gibcus
6. Adelaide - Matthew Roberts
7. Hawthorn - Neil Erasmus
8. Carlton - Ben Hobbs
9. Richmond - Josh Sinn
10. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
11. StKilda - Josh Ward
12. WCE - Jacob Van Rooyen
13. Essendon - Josh Rachele
14. GWS - Tyler Sonsie
15. GWS - Josh Fahey (bid)
16. Sydney - Matthew Johnson
17. Brisbane - Mac Andrew
18. Richmond - Ned Long
19. Port Adel - Arlo Draper
20. Brisbane - Jack Williams
21. Gold Coast - Darcy Wilmot
22. North Melb - Joshua Browne
23. Hawthorn - Josh Goater
24. Gold Coast - Campbell Chesser
25. Adelaide - Hugh Jackson
26. Hawthorn - Mitch Knevitt
27. Carlton - Connor MacDonald
28. Richmond - Ned Long
29. Fremantle - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
30. Richmond - Sam Banks
I would love 2 Ned Longs!

1. Sam Walsh - Carlton
2. Ben King - Gold Coast
5. Will Day - Hawthorn
9. Max King - StKilda
14. Nik Cox - Essendon
28. Tom Green - GWS
30. Lachlan Ash - GWS

Very harsh on Green (2nd in rising star), Luko (top 5 field kick in the league) and Ash whose many 20+ disposal gamers at HB in his second year. Tarryn Thomas has been Norths second best player in the second half of the year bsides Hall.

Jordon has average skills and Phillips has been ordinary. Hamil; I like but hasn't show a whole lot of improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back