Welcome to Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell - 2018 Brownlow medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell was involved in 28.7% of hawthorns scores this year. Petracca, the leading score involvements player in the comp, was involved in 33.4% of scores for Melbourne. petracca plays forward quite often and kicks goals himself so will have the advantage of being involved in more chains close to goal that inevitably end up as scores. that is quite remarkable outcome for Mitchell considering he is primarily linking between stoppage/intercepts and general play, and we aren’t a team that is efficient with the ball going forward.

Tom gets a unnecessary criticism at times about quantity vs quality.....unjustified, lazy criticism - largely stemming from Buckley's comments the night he got 50.

Spot on.
Most coaches really, really don't want to tag - preferring to 'back their players in.'
And they get awfully shitty when someone suggests that maybe a little attention on so and so might have made a difference.
Buckley and his 'logical brain' just couldn't step away from the dogma.

Personally, I think the 'backing our mids in' mantra really went crazy in 2015, and our Sam Mitchell was the greatest beneficiary.
Must have laughed himself to sleep every night that year.

... And I love Tom Mitchell. Literally, the most consistent footballer in the AFL for me.

Thought he finished the year better than he started. He seemed to work on gaining more metres to advantage resulting in less sidewards and back chip kicks and more longer ones, which highlighted how poor he is at kicking a low flat 40 - 45 metre pass that arrives at its target very quickly. To kick over 40 his arc looks more like a 8 iron than a 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely, I think there's a clear 7 mids ahead of him. I'd be surprised if he gets a bench spot, but he's a chance.

He's been as good as any mid the past six weeks. Brilliant.

He's been back to his best since round 13. Though I agree that a few others are ahead of him this year based on the season as a whole - Oliver, Petracca, Steele for starters.

Thought he finished the year better than he started. He seemed to work on gaining more metres to advantage resulting in less sidewards and back chip kicks and more longer ones, which highlighted how poor he is at kicking a low flat 40 - 45 metre pass that arrives at its target very quickly. To kick over 40 his arc looks more like a 8 iron than a 4.
He had a kick on the weekend which is really really really good looking for the future, was an absolute bullet on the far right half forward flank and he bulleted it in, like got there in a blink of an eye and dropped off hands (our hands) to advantage. Seems he's slowly getting more penetration in his kicking prior to his broken leg.

Tom will probably miss out, but his second half of the year was as good as anyone's and was slept on by a lot of people.

Unfortunately the midfield is even more stacked this year than usual which is saying something.

Great signs going forward though that i think it is no coincidence he got better as the year went on, finally got back to his best and hopefully we can see it all year in 2022.

As far as I can tell, there is ONE legitimate knock on Tom; that he asks for and receives the ball in areas where he is not in the best position to use it well.

However, this is a) not as regular occurrence as some like to make out and b) the job of every player to create an outlet option for the man with the ball. It is up to the ball carrier, and other players, to create or choose more productive options.

As far as I can tell, there is ONE legitimate knock on Tom; that he asks for and receives the ball in areas where he is not in the best position to use it well.

However, this is a) not as regular occurrence as some like to make out and b) the job of every player to create an outlet option for the man with the ball. It is up to the ball carrier, and other players, to create or choose more productive options.
I mentioned this maybe 6-8 weeks back & I've been looking for it ever since.

I'm happy that IMO, he's been doing this heaps less the last 6 weeks - either by instruction or in conjunction with our other guys playing better, it's been far less noticeable - at least to me.

I mentioned this maybe 6-8 weeks back & I've been looking for it ever since.

I'm happy that IMO, he's been doing this heaps less the last 6 weeks - either by instruction or in conjunction with our other guys playing better, it's been far less noticeable - at least to me.
Definitely the sum of all parts rather than one - for the majority of the season we were reactive to pressure and struggled to find any space at stoppages - adding Newcombe and Nash allowed us to get on the front foot, make their midfields accountable and release our class to become proper outlets. Time is king.

Mitchell was involved in 28.7% of hawthorns scores this year. Petracca, the leading score involvements player in the comp, was involved in 33.4% of scores for Melbourne. petracca plays forward quite often and kicks goals himself so will have the advantage of being involved in more chains close to goal that inevitably end up as scores. that is quite remarkable outcome for Mitchell considering he is primarily linking between stoppage/intercepts and general play, and we aren’t a team that is efficient with the ball going forward.

If anyone's interested, Wings was involved in 36% of our scoring for the games he played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back