Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
VFL/VFLW 2021
AFL remain determined to have grand finals for both comps no later than September 26

VFLW 2022
To start in Mid January aim is everyone to play each other once I think with Grand Final in mid to late April I understand

VFL 2022
23 Rounds 21 teams starting in late March
Each team
To have a bye plus there will be a general bye as well

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
VFL/VFLW 2021
AFL remain determined to have grand finals for both comps no later than September 26

VFLW 2022
To start in Mid January aim is everyone to play each other once I think with Grand Final in mid to late April I understand

VFL 2022
Each team

I had read somewhere the VFLW is planned as 14 rounds plus finals and a slightly later (May) finish.

VFL/VFLW 2021

VFLW 2022

VFL 2022
Each team
Should be 3 byes apiece and play everyone once.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Aspley won't be the last team to leave. There need to be serious talks had in the off season to fix the glaring problems of the competition.

If they put it to a members vote, I reckon Port would leave.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Where to? WRFL I don’t think so
It would definitely be a suburban league, but I don't know that much about inner Melbourne suburban leagues, so it would have to be investigated first and we'd have to have a license or licenses on the table, along with the costs involved.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would definitely be a suburban league, but I don't know that much about inner Melbourne suburban leagues, so it would have to be investigated first and we'd have to have a license or licenses on the table, along with the costs involved.
Best thing for Port Melbourne If they left the VFL is to join a new break away competition with the old VFA clubs joining it with strong clubs from EFL,WRFL,EDFL,NFL and MPFL joining it as for old VFA clubs that now have an AFL agreement with Hawthorn , St.Kilda and Melbourne they either stay with those clubs in the VFL or try and join the new competition.
But with any new competition you need Media backing EG:Tv,Streaming Service and Radio Sponsorship and community backing.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Aspley won't be the last team to leave. There need to be serious talks had in the off season to fix the glaring problems of the competition.

If they put it to a members vote, I reckon Port would leave.
Don’t be silly Port wouldn’t leave

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Looks like Liston trophy will still be awarded for best player in the comp despite the uneven amount of games played.

AFL still holding out hope for some lead up finals but says there will be defiantly VFL and VFLW Grand Finals played

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
I know it is logistically difficult, but if they must keep so many clubs, it might help interest and build/maintain (healthy) rivalries (and crowds) if they had a division or conference structure with one of those being standalone clubs.

Southport’s travel would be unmanageable, I know, but it would be great to have the old VFA and independents against eachother most weeks.

I understand the need for a reserves league for the AFL but the definition of success for the AFL/VFL clubs are different from standalones.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Best thing for Port Melbourne If they left the VFL is to join a new break away competition with the old VFA clubs joining it with strong clubs from EFL,WRFL,EDFL,NFL and MPFL joining it as for old VFA clubs that now have an AFL agreement with Hawthorn , St.Kilda and Melbourne they either stay with those clubs in the VFL or try and join the new competition.
But with any new competition you need Media backing EG:Tv,Streaming Service and Radio Sponsorship and community backing.
The clubs in EFL, etc do not want to join a new league. Travelling all over Melbourne and killing off local rivalries is a quick way to kill of string suburban clubs.
The only possibility would be for Port, Willi, Weribee, Coburg and Port to join the top 2/3 clubs from Western and Essendon Districts in a N/W Premier League. Problems is that those current VFL clubs don’t have any reserves or Colts, so much work would need to be done off field to create proper suburban clubs.
These clubs and AFL Vic should be working on exit plans for these grand old clubs.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Looks like Liston trophy will still be awarded for best player in the comp despite the uneven amount of games played.

AFL still holding out hope for some lead up finals but says there will be defiantly VFL and VFLW Grand Finals played
Almost impossible. Demons. Cats and Dogs/Dons players will be in Perth. GWS players will all go home as soon as they are out of AFL finals, and Southport have no chance of being allowed back should they come to Victoria.
Box Hill about the only team that could field a tea anywhere near full strength.

My two cents worth.
No aligned AFL Clubs, added Casey Zebras as i unaligned both and merged them.
Geelong United is G&DFL, GFL, C&DFL and BFL it is basically their reps side.
Ballarat is BFL, CHFL, RDFL, H&DFL and MFL, same as GU
Goulburn Valley is made up from GVFL, K&DFL and P&DFL, same as GU
AW or Murray Border is made up from OMFL, OKFL, T&DFL and UMFL

Map-of-southern-Australia-showing-the-location-of-Lake-Keilambete-and-Lake-Gnotuk.png

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
I’d imagine Brisbane would want to keep their reserves sharp, so it makes sense

Yeah. I'd have expected Geelong and Melbourne to have had a scratch match in Adelaide as well. Port's side would have played SANFL, and there'd be a scratch match between Essendon/Dogs and Sydney/GWS probably

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Yeah. I'd have expected Geelong and Melbourne to have had a scratch match in Adelaide as well. Port's side would have played SANFL, and there'd be a scratch match between Essendon/Dogs and Sydney/GWS probably
Geelong and Melbourne now in quarantine in Perth, Port Adelaide had the week off in SANFL play final round next weekend.

Back