Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Lock gone to soon, one of the funniest men I've ever seen. I never get tired of endless repeats of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

Last edited:

Cam1967

Team Captain
Oct 3, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
QPR, Bengals
Sean Lock gone to soon, one of the funniest men I've ever seen. I never get tired of endless repeats of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

Damn, I'm shattered. That show is pure gold. You watch the re runs and pick up something new everytime. :'(:'(

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What would you do?

My wife's best friend is getting married on Saturday the 18th of September. That's Prelim Final Saturday. Ceremony begins at 4.30pm with the reception to follow.

My wife is in the bridal party so this is obviously a huge deal for her.

Given there is a chance we may be playing on the Saturday night, I am unsettled by this. I couldn't possibly imagine being anywhere other than at the game.

The obvious issue is having to RSVP by August so the hosts can confirm numbers for the reception.

My wife understands how die hard I am, and she knows how the date of the wedding has been playing on my mind. However, her position is friends and family come before footy. I know that's also true.

One thing I have considered is going to the ceremony, then going to the footy (if it's on) then going back to the wedding after the match. The wedding is in South Yarra and finishes at midnight so I'll have time.

That still makes me feel uncomfortable tho. I feel I should be going to the wedding.

The groom likes his footy too but not as much as me. I get along well with all his footy mates so I know there will be others in my position. A couple of them support the Bulldogs and a couple support Geelong. I can only imagine they're having similar thoughts to me.

Another thing I've thought of is confirming my attendance and attending no matter what. If we're playing, I'll be watching it at the very least on my phone. I feel this is a good compromise, especially because I am almost certain other guests will be doing the same.

Before you comment, "Who gets married in September", this is the third time they have had to reschedule cause of Covid. They had been messed around and this was the only available Saturday in the near future.
Happy wife Happy life Go to the wedding and watch Prelim on the phone.

Charlie you brought me so much pleasure :disrelieved:

My first concert.

1629843511641.png

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

My first concert.

View attachment 1216108

Charlie was a legend, mainly for maintaining stability in the band and keeping them together. If he wasn't there, they would have split years ago.
Some amazing online tributes to him today, from across the musical spectrum, amazing.
(Btw, I thought I was old Dogs 13 , but you've trumped me by a few years - unless you attended that concert as a toddler?! :) )

Charlie was a legend, mainly for maintaining stability in the band and keeping them together. If he wasn't there, they would have split years ago.
Some amazing online tributes to him today, from across the musical spectrum, amazing.
(Btw, I thought I was old Dogs 13 , but you've trumped me by a few years - unless you attended that concert as a toddler?! :) )

I was 13, we got 8 songs 🤣 The Searchers and The Twilights supported. Of course they did two shows a night back then.

I ordered this months ago but they keep delaying the release.
1629852175221.png

How amazing to find the exact concert I went to all those years ago.

A few years back at a Simple Minds concert at the Palais I met Brian Nankervis the host of RocKwiz and as we chatted I said I always wanted him to ask me the classic question on that show, what was your first concert ?

He stood up tall and took on his host persona and asked and I said The Rolling Stones here. He was taken aback (he's a Stone's tragic). He said the show with Roy Orbison ? I said no, the year after with The Searchers. Well I finally got my RocKwiz moment 😆

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I was 13, we got 8 songs 🤣 The Searchers and The Twilights supported. Of course they did two shows a night back then.

I ordered this months ago and but they keep delaying the release.
View attachment 1216191

How amazing to find the exact concert I went to all those years ago.

A few years back at a Simple Minds concert at the Palais I met Brian Nankervis the host of RocKwiz and as we chatted I said I always wanted him to ask me the classic question on that show, what was your first concert ?

He stood up tall and took on his host persona and asked and I said The Rolling Stones here. He was taken aback (he's a Stone's tragic). He said the show with Roy Orbison ? I said no, the year after with The Searchers. Well I finally got my RocKwiz moment 😆

Great story, love it. As a child of the 60s and 70s, I only managed to see the Stones once sadly, in March 1995 at the MCG on the Voodoo Lounge tour, although as a member of a priority booking service I ended up only about 20-25 rows from the stage. Mrs 1973 came along under sufferance, but thoroughly enjoyed the show. Funnily enough, they seemed so old even then!

I had an interaction with Brian many years ago at the Dick Whittington Tavern in East St Kilda, but in his alter ego as Raymond J Bartholomew. A few mates and I had enjoyed a few sherbets, and gave all the stand ups on the night some good natured banter, which to their credit they took in their stride. One of my mates was celebrating his birthday, and Raymond/Brian composed a poem on the spot! If there is one show I would like to appear on, and confident I have the skill set/knowledge for, it's RockWiz.

Don't know about you, but I've been listening to a few Stones songs today while I work, currently working my way through Rolled Gold, then might give Some Girls album a listen (still got the original on vinyl!).

Great story, love it. As a child of the 60s and 70s, I only managed to see the Stones once sadly, in March 1995 at the MCG on the Voodoo Lounge tour, although as a member of a priority booking service I ended up only about 20-25 rows from the stage. Mrs 1973 came along under sufferance, but thoroughly enjoyed the show. Funnily enough, they seemed so old even then!

I had an interaction with Brian many years ago at the Dick Whittington Tavern in East St Kilda, but in his alter ego as Raymond J Bartholomew. A few mates and I had enjoyed a few sherbets, and gave all the stand ups on the night some good natured banter, which to their credit they took in their stride. One of my mates was celebrating his birthday, and Raymond/Brian composed a poem on the spot! If there is one show I would like to appear on, and confident I have the skill set/knowledge for, it's RockWiz.

Don't know about you, but I've been listening to a few Stones songs today while I work, currently working my way through Rolled Gold, then might give Some Girls album a listen (still got the original on vinyl!).

I'm watching my The Biggest Bang box set of concerts.

Even before this happened I had a big Stones day last Thursday I think it was. I kept flogging We Love You with Lennon and McCartney on backing vocals.

I bought the single (backed by Dandelion) downstairs at Coles Bourke St in 1967 for $1 :D

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I'm watching my The Biggest Bang box set of concerts.

Even before this happened I had a big Stones day last Thursday I think it was. I kept flogging We Love You with Lennon and McCartney on backing vocals.

I bought the single (backed by Dandelion) downstairs at Coles Bourke St in 1967 for $1 :D

As much as I love the Aus rock I've grown up with, I often go back to Stones/Beatles/Doors/Who/Animals/Hollies/etc era when I'm feeling nostalgic, or melancholy.

Enjoy your day, I might have a quiet toast tonight to Charlie with appropriate musical accompaniment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I love the Aus rock I've grown up with, I often go back to Stones/Beatles/Doors/Who/Animals/Hollies/etc era when I'm feeling nostalgic, or melancholy.

Enjoy your day, I might have a quiet toast tonight to Charlie with appropriate musical accompaniment.

This might not be over, they come in threes. Don Everly, Charlie Watts, ??

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
This might not be over, they come in threes. Don Everly, Charlie Watts, ??

Hope not, but given many of my (and I'm assuming your) musical influences are of a certain age, sadly it is bound to happen. Tbh it amazes me Keith is still going, but then again the drugs and alcohol consumed over the years are probably the only thing holding him together! Given the high regard Mick and Keith have always held Charlie in, and their respective social media today, I suspect this has hit them both hard. Some great posts by others too, Ringo, Brian Wilson, Jon Fogerty, cross section of 60s to current artists lining up to acknowledge a great musician, but also probably the person who managed to keep the Stones together over decades. Almost unique in his avoidance of the hedonistic lifestyle too. Someone posted this today, can't remember who, but interesting snippet:

My first concert.

View attachment 1216108

Wow!

And I thought I was old!

I saw them at Kooyong in 73,
4 concerts over 3 days in 40+ degree heat! I was at the Saturday night gig, 33 degrees at midnight 😳

Pretty good effort for a bunch of Englishmen coming out of a northern hemisphere winter.

Last edited:
Hope not, but given many of my (and I'm assuming your) musical influences are of a certain age, sadly it is bound to happen. Tbh it amazes me Keith is still going, but then again the drugs and alcohol consumed over the years are probably the only thing holding him together! Given the high regard Mick and Keith have always held Charlie in, and their respective social media today, I suspect this has hit them both hard. Some great posts by others too, Ringo, Brian Wilson, Jon Fogerty, cross section of 60s to current artists lining up to acknowledge a great musician, but also probably the person who managed to keep the Stones together over decades. Almost unique in his avoidance of the hedonistic lifestyle too. Someone posted this today, can't remember who, but interesting snippet:

He did have his own problems with drugs and alcohol for a while but got through. Married to the same woman since 1964, lived quietly in the countryside.

I saw the Stones live at Leeds University in 1971. Got in for free through the ladies toilet window because it was a sell out. It was an amazing gig.

Leeds uni had the best entertainment committee back then. Saw Deep Purple, Leonard Cohen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and any number of top bands in the day.

My first gig that I took my girlfriend (now wife of 48 years) was Rod Stewart at the same place, the refectory at Leeds Uni.

I missed out on the Who live at Leeds, it was my 18th birthday and I went to the dales for the weekend. Two weeks later was the Pink Floyd concert.

I should have gone to Hyde Park in 1969 when the Stones did the free concert but I was too poor to afford the train fare.

Here's the calendar from those great years:

1969-70
Autumn term
October 4
Fleetwood Mac
October 11
Moody Blues with Spice
October 18
Family
October 30
Deep Purple
November 6
Chicken Shack
November 8
T-Rex; Idle Race
November 15
Bonzo Dog Band; Deep Purple
November 22
Christine Perfect (became Christine McVie); The Free
November 29
Graham Bond Initiation; Art Wood’s Quiet Melon

Spring term
January 17
Joe Cocker
January 24
Led Zeppelin
January 31
Ten Years After
February 2
Liverpool Scene, Killing Floor
February 7
Small Faces; Keef Hartley Band
February 14
The Who
February 21
John Hiseman’s Colosseum; Marsha Hunt
February 28
Pink Floyd
March 7
Blodwyn Pig; Yes
March 14
Mott the Hoople
March 21
Ginger Baker’s Air Force; Nice

Wow!

And I thought I was old!

I saw them at Kooyong in 73,
4 concerts over 3 days in 40+ degree heat! I was at the Saturday night gig, 33 degrees at midnight 😳

Pretty good effort for a bunch of Englishmen coming out of a northern hemisphere winter.

That's the only tour I missed, we were away fruit picking and travelling to WA.

Here's some great recollections of those shows.

The memories of buying tickets at MSD Tivoli Arcade are the same as mine. I could have almost written the paras below.

"The Rolling Stones were the first band that I ever saw in concert. Not a bad start. That was in 1966 at The Palais, St Kilda. I was a callow schoolboy, only allowed to go because a much older friend from the local cricket club got tickets and drove us in his Fiat 500.

If I had to point to one event that changed the course of my life that would be it (though I still cannot understand why I was allowed to see the Stones but shortly afterwards forbidden from seeing Dylan). Academic results dived in inverse proportion to my interest in music. My prospective career as a rocket scientist and possible Nobel Prize winner was at an end".

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
So I now know Dogs 13 GetDimmaBack and (I suspect) dogwatch are senior to me on here. This forum needs a "playing list" breakdown by age group!

Speaking of senior citizens, has anyone heard from King Harold recently - hasn't been on a here for a while, hope you're ok King!

Was just meandering around the board and found this old thread too, lots of names in there, some who still post and some who haven't been around for a while. Hope you're allok, wherever you are, in these times. :largeredcircle: :mwcirlce: :largebluecircle: :bulldogs:

So I now know Dogs 13 GetDimmaBack and (I suspect) dogwatch are senior to me on here. This forum needs a "playing list" breakdown by age group!

Speaking of senior citizens, has anyone heard from King Harold recently - hasn't been on a here for a while, hope you're ok King!

Was just meandering around the board and found this old thread too, lots of names in there, some who still post and some who haven't been around for a while. Hope you're allok, wherever you are, in these times. :largeredcircle: :mwcirlce: :largebluecircle: :bulldogs:

Read my post, you have my exact age from that...

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I saw the Stones live at Leeds University in 1971. Got in for free through the ladies toilet window because it was a sell out. It was an amazing gig.

Leeds uni had the best entertainment committee back then. Saw Deep Purple, Leonard Cohen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and any number of top bands in the day.

My first gig that I took my girlfriend (now wife of 48 years) was Rod Stewart at the same place, the refectory at Leeds Uni.

I missed out on the Who live at Leeds, it was my 18th birthday and I went to the dales for the weekend. Two weeks later was the Pink Floyd concert.

I should have gone to Hyde Park in 1969 when the Stones did the free concert but I was too poor to afford the train fare.

Here's the calendar from those great years:

1969-70
Autumn term
October 4
Fleetwood Mac
October 11
Moody Blues with Spice
October 18
Family
October 30
Deep Purple
November 6
Chicken Shack
November 8
T-Rex; Idle Race
November 15
Bonzo Dog Band; Deep Purple
November 22
Christine Perfect (became Christine McVie); The Free
November 29
Graham Bond Initiation; Art Wood’s Quiet Melon

Spring term
January 17
Joe Cocker
January 24
Led Zeppelin
January 31
Ten Years After
February 2
Liverpool Scene, Killing Floor
February 7
Small Faces; Keef Hartley Band
February 14
The Who
February 21
John Hiseman’s Colosseum; Marsha Hunt
February 28
Pink Floyd
March 7
Blodwyn Pig; Yes
March 14
Mott the Hoople
March 21
Ginger Baker’s Air Force; Nice

Wow. Just wow. Would have killed to see some of these bands in their hey-day. Blodwyn Pig, the original Fleetwood Mac, what an era!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back