Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Post draft there were a number of AFL recruiters kicking themselves that they didn't draft Lewis at the time. He showed a lot in the VFL early on kicking bags on a regular basis and had some genuine buzz from within the club IIRC.

His early games were really promising from debut with his now infamous end to that year sky-rocketing our expectations.

Hub life was hard for him, shoulder surgery probably more so.

He's still a genuine kid in AFL and key position terms who ideally would have someone like Patton alongside him taking the main KPD.

He's got some fantastic, developable AFL traits and clearly has the ability to play well in patches.

I'm a Supercoach nerd, and his contribution to the game is pleasingly much higher than most young KPF when they come into the system - same with Reeves to be honest! Most are cranking out 40s and 50s but he's consistently dropping 60s, 70s and 80+ which is unique at his age.

For context, he consistently has a bigger impact on games than both Max and Ben King (based on SC) up to this point. Clearly they've shown an elite ceiling and probably will shoot past him (and most likely everyone else) in the next year or two but the reality is Mitch is holding his own atm.

He may not put it all together right away but I'm excited by what he can become from games 50-100 in the brown and gold!

Yep.

Supercoach averages:

Lewis 65
Max King 61
Ben King 53
Oscar Allen 63

I feel that we have found a long term piece in our forward line in Kosi. I love his competitiveness and work rate, but I'm not expecting him to be that elite key forward (Hawkins, Kennedy, Buddy etc). He is the most bankable young key forward we have however, and he is going to bring plenty to our forward setup over the years.

Jeka, I know plenty are really high on him and his VFL form has been great, but I will reserve judgement until I see him more at AFL level. He remains and unknown for me.

But Lewis, aside from some injury and continuity concerns, its's really between the ears for him. I don't think his as bankable as Kosi, but he has the highest ceiling and potential to become a 50 goal a year forward for us.

He's still young, and I'm hopeful that he is going to have that one game next year where he announces himself by rag dolling a Andrews, May or Weitering and kicks a bag.

Last edited:

I feel that we have found a long term piece in our forward line in Kosi. I love his competitiveness and work rate, but I'm not expecting him to be that elite key forward (Hawkins, Kennedy, Buddy etc). He is the most bankable young key forward we have however, and he is going to bring plenty to our forward setup over the years.

Jeka, I know plenty are really high on him and his VFL form has been great, but I will reserve judgement until I see him more at AFL level. He remains and unknown for me.

But Lewis, aside from some injury and continuity concerns, its's really between the ears for him. I don't think his as bankable as Kosi, but he really has the highest ceiling and potential for us.

He's still young, and I'm really hopeful that he is going to have that one game next year where he ragdolls a Andrews, May or Weitering and kicks a bag.
Agree love Kosi's attitude and workrate, without sounding ridiculous a lot of his mannerisms and his gait remind me a lot of the great Peter Hudson.

Took some great strides this season. The jury is still out on whether he can become A grade, but he seems to be doing everything asked of him.

I'd love to see him become our next forward/ruck and if David Hale comes across that will help him immensely.

Mitch Lewis has shown he's an AFL quality key forward whenever he's gotten a consistent run at senior footy. Give him a proper pre-season, with no injuries and some good delivery - reckon he's a 40 goal forward at this stage of his career.

Idk, he's been pretty good when it hits the deck (when hes fit back end of 2019 and consistently this year).

Agree. His one grab pickups and quick handballs to player's chests are better than most players his size. His pressure game probably also above average for his type (although less clear cut than his ground ball game).

halfback dasher made me take a look at this.

Here's what Lewis did in 2021 with 14 interrupted games.

22 goals(1.6 av), 67 marks(4.8 av), 25 contested marks(1.7 av)

At the same age, lets see what some other big names were averaging(Green if better than Mitch, Red if worse).

Tom Hawkins(18 games) - 1.5 goals, 4.9 marks, 2.3 contested marks.
Harry McKay(13 games) - 1.6 goals, 4.4 marks, 1.7 contested marks.
Charlie Dixon (13 games) - 1.5 goals, 3.2 marks, 1.6 contested marks.

Mitch just needs continued games.

At the same age, lets see what some other big names were averaging(Green if better than Mitch, Red if worse).

He'll be a jet, mate.

If he can keep that goal tally about 1.5 whilst getting up the ground & giving us a target coming off halfback, he'll be huge for us.

I guess my point was SYL is his output has been deceptive........I’m not for one min suggesting he’s a star because imo he’s missing a vital ingredient imo BUThe is tracking well .

I guess my point was SYL is his output has been deceptive........I’m not for one min suggesting he’s a star because imo he’s missing a vital ingredient imo BUThe is tracking well .
He needs some more mongrel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Lewis' future at the club will depend on what happens with Callow.

Callow makes a good F50 target and is versatile.
If he settles as a KPD then Lewis stays.

I like Lewis a lot but he'd probably be the one to go if we're looking to trade for early second-round.
You mean ZERO AFL games & barely hanging in there, Callow?

I can see into the future.
Hang in there.

If you can see into the future, you should know how it works out.
Give us all a few tips for our Fantasy footy teams.
Give the club the intel on the draft, with the benefit of hindsight.

While you're at it, can you also tell us how long these lockdowns will last and which vaccine turns out to be better?

Cheers.

If you can see into the future, you should know how it works out.
Give us all a few tips for our Fantasy footy teams.
Give the club the intel on the draft, with the benefit of hindsight.

While you're at it, can you also tell us how long these lockdowns will last and which vaccine turns out to be better?

Cheers.

Tongue in cheek filter is switched off on your browser, it's up beside the search bar.

Oscar Allen Vs Mitchell Lewis - Lewis is 5 Months older.

1630713122387.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back