Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I now know Dogs 13 GetDimmaBack and (I suspect) dogwatch are senior to me on here. This forum needs a "playing list" breakdown by age group!

Speaking of senior citizens, has anyone heard from King Harold recently - hasn't been on a here for a while, hope you're ok King!

Was just meandering around the board and found this old thread too, lots of names in there, some who still post and some who haven't been around for a while. Hope you're allok, wherever you are, in these times. :largeredcircle: :mwcirlce: :largebluecircle: :bulldogs:

King Harold was born in 1022 so he will be 1000 years old next year (exact date uncertain). Hope we can have a little celebration for him.

🎂

And kids, don't try this at home...

🏹 👁

:eek:

EDIT: Not sure why I said 800yo. He'll be 1000. So there's your answer footscray1973 - he's a millennial!

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow. Would have killed to see some of these bands in their hey-day. Blodwyn Pig, the original Fleetwood Mac, what an era!
One of my favourite gigs and bands was seeing the Beach Boys at the Birmingham Odeon in 1969. I had a Messerschmitt bubble car and drove up from Harwell with my mate. When we got to the outskirts of Brum, the Schmitt lost a few gears. We struggled to the Odeon and sat through a fantastic gig. Opening act was Joe Hicks, a soul singer who had been with Count Basie. Next act was Paul Revere and the Raiders, followed by the Beach Boys (minus Brian Wilson). Amazing concert and it only cost one pound.

Our plan was to continue to Leeds for the weekend but the Schmitt was not going to make it.

I had only 3rd gear, so we would push start to get some speed and clunk into 3rd gear. When we got to Sutton Coldfield we stopped at the police station and asked for a little help on where to stay. The desk sergeant said we could sleep in the cells but had to be out by 6:00AM.

The following day we made it back to Harwell after travelling in 3rd gear all the way. Happy days.

One of my favourite gigs and bands was seeing the Beach Boys at the Birmingham Odeon in 1969. I had a Messerschmitt bubble car and drove up from Harwell with my mate. When we got to the outskirts of Brum, the Schmitt lost a few gears. We struggled to the Odeon and sat through a fantastic gig. Opening act was Joe Hicks, a soul singer who had been with Count Basie. Next act was Paul Revere and the Raiders, followed by the Beach Boys (minus Brian Wilson). Amazing concert and it only cost one pound.

Our plan was to continue to Leeds for the weekend but the Schmitt was not going to make it.

I had only 3rd gear, so we would push start to get some speed and clunk into 3rd gear. When we got to Sutton Coldfield we stopped at the police station and asked for a little help on where to stay. The desk sergeant said we could sleep in the cells but had to be out by 6:00AM.

The following day we made it back to Harwell after travelling in 3rd gear all the way. Happy days.

Great story! I guess the Messerschmitt didn't accompany you to Aus? Those things are worth a bit these days. I used to see a lot of bands live around Melb and Vic back in the day, sadly my kids won't experience much of that, even with the festivals that have proliferated pre-COVID, not quite the same as jumping around a theatre/pub/hall in close proximity to other sweaty punters.

That's the only tour I missed, we were away fruit picking and travelling to WA.

The memories of buying tickets at MSD Tivoli Arcade are the same as mine. I could have almost written the paras below.

"The Rolling Stones were the first band that I ever saw in concert. Not a bad start. That was in 1966 at The Palais, St Kilda. I was a callow schoolboy, only allowed to go because a much older friend from the local cricket club got tickets and drove us in his Fiat 500.

My first major concert, too.

Interestingly - for me - I didn't actually pay for my ticket.

I wasn't intending to go. However, one of my mates had bought tickets for a group of our mutual friends a few months earlier. Unfortunately (for him) he was leaving for Europe on the (Sat) morning of the concert. He offered his ticket to me, saying, "pay me for it when I get back". The cost? A whole $3 :D

Even in those days, it wasn't a lot of money, but he was away for about 5 years in the end. By the time he got back, inflation had made such an amount almost negligible. I offered the $3 to him, but he just laughed and said, "Nah, just buy me a beer".

On a side note, the Stones in concert had a fairly powerful affect on the young ladies of the time...

Last edited:
Great story! I guess the Messerschmitt didn't accompany you to Aus? Those things are worth a bit these days. I used to see a lot of bands live around Melb and Vic back in the day, sadly my kids won't experience much of that, even with the festivals that have proliferated pre-COVID, not quite the same as jumping around a theatre/pub/hall in close proximity to other sweaty punters.
No, the Schmitt was eventually scrapped. The gearbox was repaired but failed again after I left my job in Berkshire and went back home to live in Leeds. I had pulled out the engine and gearbox and didn't do anything with it over the winter. I woke up one spring morning to see it it being grabbed by a cherry picker and taken to the tip. My Mum got sick of seeing in the yard and called the council to get rid of it. Many years later I showed her pictures of restored Messerschmitts command $20,000-$50,000 :)

I don't know if you remember Paul and Barry Ryan? They had a couple of hits in the late 60's. One degree of separation. Their cousin Lesley who was a very attractive girl (think Elizabeth Taylor). She was my girlfriend for a while and rode in the back seat of the Schmitt. At the time I had lost the plexiglass roof from the Schmitt after it blew off on the Oxford bypass on a trip home and was destroyed by a truck that was following me.

I asked Lesley what she thought of my wheels. Her reply, "Well you don't get that closed in feeling". Classic.

Geelong has a lively scene when it's on.

At the Barwon Club there's a tribute band play a few gigs there, they are called the Glitter Gang. Basically a send-up of the early 70's glam rock bands like The Sweet and Gary Glitter. A couple of the band used to work for me and I have an autographed copy of their demo LP (which sold about 1 copy).

I can barely get the missus out of the house these days, so live gigs and open mike are something to dream about.

No, the Schmitt was eventually scrapped. The gearbox was repaired but failed again after I left my job in Berkshire and went back home to live in Leeds. I had pulled out the engine and gearbox and didn't do anything with it over the winter. I woke up one spring morning to see it it being grabbed by a cherry picker and taken to the tip. My Mum got sick of seeing in the yard and called the council to get rid of it. Many years later I showed her pictures of restored Messerschmitts command $20,000-$50,000 :)

I don't know if you remember Paul and Barry Ryan? They had a couple of hits in the late 60's. One degree of separation. Their cousin Lesley who was a very attractive girl (think Elizabeth Taylor). She was my girlfriend for a while and rode in the back seat of the Schmitt. At the time I had lost the plexiglass roof from the Schmitt after it blew off on the Oxford bypass on a trip home and was destroyed by a truck that was following me.

I asked Lesley what she thought of my wheels. Her reply, "Well you don't get that closed in feeling". Classic.
Barry Ryan as in Eloise? Ok, I'm old too.;)

That were noothin’…
We used to watch all day festival wi’t’ Beatles, Rollin’ Stones, The Band, get pissed wi’ Joe Cocker, sing Kumbaya wi’ Joan Baez, share a noomber wi’ Jimi Hendrix, shag The Singin’ Nun … and start all over again in t’evenin’.

But yer tell the young people today and they won’t believe yer!

I saw him with his twin Paul at Festival Hall in 1967, but it was pre Eloise. They supported Eric Burdon & the New Animals, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich 🤪

That's him. His real name is Barry Sapherson. His Mum was Marion Ryan, a band singer in the 1950's she married Frank Sapherson. Lesley is the daughter of Frank's brother.

That were noothin’…
We used to watch all day festival wi’t’ Beatles, Rollin’ Stones, The Band, get pissed wi’ Joe Cocker, sing Kumbaya wi’ Joan Baez, share a noomber wi’ Jimi Hendrix, shag The Singin’ Nun … and start all over again in t’evenin’.

But yer tell the young people today and they won’t believe yer!
LOL. Saw Joan Baez in Melbourne a few years ago. One of my favourite female folk singers. I lived a few Kms from her when I moved to Palo Alto in 2004. Must have ridden near her place a few times because we used to meet at Alices in Woodside and Joan still lives in Woodside. Now in the hermit kingdom of Australia, not meeting anyone. Our politicians are gaining some fame, however. Maybe Dan can give us a few bars of "Springtime for Hitler".

California nearly as crazy as the hermit kingdom:

Alices...

BAR HOURS
SUNDAY – closed
MONDAYclosed
TUESDAYclosed
WEDNESDAYclosed
THURSDAYclosed
FRIDAYclosed
SATURDAY – closed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sean Lock gone to soon, one of the funniest men I've ever seen. I never get tired of endless repeats of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

Very sad news, this. Have you seen any of his stand-up? He’s fantastic.

I’m ashamed to admit I’m only just getting round to watching 15 Storeys High. Episode 1 gave me a few proper belly laughs…rare for a sitcom.

Reminds me of this Fugs' number:

That's too funny. I should send it to my brother-in-law. A few weeks ago I sent some money to my sister to help her out. Her kids and grandkids are in strife. No jobs, poor health. It's like something out of Shameless.

A few days later I received a letter from the brother-in-law. He obviously sent this without my sister knowing. It was a 17 page rant, written in block print, like a 6 year old. He was moaning about my sister having a holiday in Australia with my Mum etc. etc. Each page detailed all the jollies my sister had partaken with and me NOTHING at the bottom.

So my sister is off to Blackpool with the twins and he gets NOTHING.

I can hardly wait for his next letter. If my sister found out, goodness knows....

Firstly not that often am i able to watch our doggies up close, due to home location and o/s work.
I have always had a lot of time for all our youngsters looking for the next 200 gamer.
Lewis Young is no exception, however, he does not seem capable of being able to hold down a permanent position in our backline.
No way in hell is he a ruckman.
He is not a forward either in my opinion.
Should we leave him down back and hope he makes a position his own. Probably needs some additional bulk as well. Keep in mind he is still a young man on our list
Cheers
Stephen

Firstly not that often am i able to watch our doggies up close, due to home location and o/s work.
I have always had a lot of time for all our youngsters looking for the next 200 gamer.
Lewis Young is no exception, however, he does not seem capable of being able to hold down a permanent position in our backline.
No way in hell is he a ruckman.
He is not a forward either in my opinion.
Should we leave him down back and hope he makes a position his own. Probably needs some additional bulk as well. Keep in mind he is still a young man on our list
Cheers
Stephen
Backline I would say, he has shown some good signs there and would be great for us to have a player of his height skill and athleticism if he comes good. Prob doesn't help that he has had to be shifted around so much.

Thought - Alex Keath for vice captain 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back