Contract Status: Out of contract 2024

My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 19, Harlequin

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
We weren’t getting Parish stringer and merrett in the side, period. Same way weitering didn’t make it because walsh and mckay we’re making it. Parish deserved a spot over Jake. Same way Sydney didn’t have a player in the team, so papley got a small forward spot, its the way they do it. And I’m not just talking about the games he missed, his first half of the year was nowhere near as good as his 2nd. The other thing they would take into consideration were most of his great games were against bottom sides, when they are splitting hairs that would be a difference maker.
Again, if that is how they select it, then the award isnt worth the paper its printed on.
Its meant to be a meritocritus award, and so if they left Stringer or Weitering out because they already had too many teammates in the team, or Papley got in cause they needed a token Sydney player, then the award is a joke and goes against everything it is meant to be. Namely the best players in each position to create the team of the year.

And your logic falls over when you claim Stringers first half the year wasnt good enough.

From round 1-14 Bontempelli was the best mid in the comp.
From round 15-23 he was the 28th ranked midfielder and 68th ranked player (AFL player ratings).

So Stringer gets penalised for having only half a good year, but the Bont is fine then? Reputation covers over the cracks?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Again, if that is how they select it, then the award isnt worth the paper its printed on.
Its meant to be a meritocritus award, and so if they left Stringer or Weitering out because they already had too many teammates in the team, or Papley got in cause they needed a token Sydney player, then the award is a joke and goes against everything it is meant to be. Namely the best players in each position to create the team of the year.

And your logic falls over when you claim Stringers first half the year wasnt good enough.
From round 1-14 Bontempelli was the best mid in the comp.
From round 15-23 he was the 28th ranked midfielder and 68th ranked player (AFL player ratings).

So Stringer gets penalised for having only half a good year, but the Bont is fine then? Reputation covers over the cracks?
Well 14 rounds is better than 9 I guess and bont still had some really big games. He had 34 and a goal against us for starters.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Well 14 rounds is better than 9 I guess and bont still had some really big games. He had 34 and a goal against us for starters.
So is being the 2nd best player in the comp over the entire year.
"Since the bye, he’s been the best player in the AFL, per the Official Player Ratings – and across the whole season, he’s second behind Nic Naitanui."

Doesnt sound like his first half was that bad to me.

But hey, midfielders rock, others are pox, and you arent allowed to miss round 1 to be an AA.

I get it now

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
"Since the bye, he’s been the best player in the AFL, per the Official Player Ratings – and across the whole season, he’s second behind Nic Naitanui."

But hey, midfielders rock, others are pox, and you arent allowed to miss round 1 to be an AA.

I get it now
Obviously the 2nd half season games are bringing up his average... looking where he was ranked at the end of round 13 would be more accurate.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I wouldnt get too upset about it all. At the end of the day, they are trying to fit players from 18 clubs into 22 spots in a comp that lauds midfielders. There will always be guys that are unlucky to miss a spot. As the 8th ranked side, it was always going to be hard to get 3 players in the team. Even harder for the Blues with their big 3. Sydney finished 5th so they needed to find a spot for one of their players, in this case Papley. Just happy that we wont risk Jake getting injured when the AA team plays...

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I wouldnt get too upset about it all. At the end of the day, they are trying to fit players from 18 clubs into 22 spots in a comp that lauds midfielders. There will always be guys that are unlucky to miss a spot. As the 8th ranked side, it was always going to be hard to get 3 players in the team. Even harder for the Blues with their big 3. Sydney finished 5th so they needed to find a spot for one of their players, in this case Papley. Just happy that we wont risk Jake getting injured when the AA team plays...
Well said. If there was anyone who was lucky to get in it was macrae only polled 60 coaches votes this year, yet got the starting on ball spot.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I guess the frustration i am trying to share is the fact Stringer was the best medium forward in the league, with the exception of maybe Toby Greene.

No1. Medium-forward for the year
No2. Players overall for the year
No1. Player overall from rounds 14-23

He is the best player in the league at his position this year, and so for him to be named at said position in the supposed team of the year is important.
And i believe more important than filling your bench with the 3 accumulating midfielders they have or logjamming two extra mids onto the flanks because the league has become obsessed with disposals and contested possession.

Ill put it this way. If our two All Australians were Stringer/Merrett or Stringer/Parish, you would have got no arguments from me. The midfield is a stacked position to get into.

I am not attempting to be parochial, but rather Stringer missing out to shoe-horn two obvious midfielders into his position and 3 mids onto the bench (yes, including Darcy) is symptomatic of my greater issue with the AA team being that isnt a true representation of what the best team of the year ought to be.
essentially using the best players in each position to recognise the excellence of said player above his positional peers.
But rather it has become an exercise of picking the best spine, then your 10 best mids and fitting them in where you can.

I hear commentators keep asking why kids always want to be midfielders coming into the system. Well if you are anything else other than a mid or a KPP, good luck getting any recognition by the league or media for it.

Ultimately i hope Jake kicks 6 goals, 30 disposals and the matchwinning tackle on the weekend to win us the game, and the selectors can watch with egg on their face.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I guess the frustration i am trying to share is the fact Stringer was the best medium forward in the league, with the exception of maybe Toby Greene.

No1. Medium-forward for the year
No2. Players overall for the year
No1. Player overall from rounds 14-23

He is the best player in the league at his position this year, and so for him to be named at said position in the supposed team of the year is important.
And i believe more important than filling your bench with the 3 accumulating midfielders they have or logjamming two extra mids onto the flanks because the league has become obsessed with disposals and contested possession.

Ill put it this way. If our two All Australians were Stringer/Merrett or Stringer/Parish, you would have got no arguments from me. The midfield is a stacked position to get into.

I am not attempting to be parochial, but rather Stringer missing out to shoe-horn two obvious midfielders into his position and 3 mids onto the bench (yes, including Darcy) is symptomatic of my greater issue with the AA team being that isnt a true representation of what the best team of the year ought to be.
essentially using the best players in each position to recognise the excellence of said player above his positional peers.
But rather it has become an exercise of picking the best spine, then your 10 best mids and fitting them in where you can.

I hear commentators keep asking why kids always want to be midfielders coming into the system. Well if you are anything else other than a mid or a KPP, good luck getting any recognition by the league or media for it.

Ultimately i hope Jake kicks 6 goals, 30 disposals and the matchwinning tackle on the weekend to win us the game, and the selectors can watch with egg on their face.
You're not wrong on any of it. If he spent all his time in the forward line and therefore kicked more goals he would get in. If he played more in the midfield and just resting forward, he would get in. But, doing what he is most valuable doing by being a hybrid, he misses out. If you want to pick a team to actually play, there is no way you leave him out as he is a proven match winner and you can use him different ways. But, Bont and Trac have to get his spot so they can fit more normal mids in. Is what it is.

AA is a crock of s**t popularity contest based on the feels of a small group of people and nothing more. I'm sure Jake couldn't care less and neither do I.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffer than a statue with rigamortis. I hope he's cranky and channels it for Friday.
I’d rather he channel it for Sunday, when we’re playing

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I get it now
Yeah but this isn't too controversial though. I'd have been more upset if Parish didn't make it.

Stringer's form from round 14 onwards is elite, but he wasn't in AA calculations before that. His form brought him into the conversation so he was always going to be a fringe AA selection rather than an absolute lock.

My team would have Papley out and Stringer in, but the rest of the 22 is spot on. I see it as a minor disappointment rather than an outrageous selection.

Westlo

All Australian
Mar 29, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Everton FC
Hopefully this snub really lights a fire under the Package's ass.

Lets be real, you know Bevo swore when he saw no Stinger in the AA side lol.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
I ask you this. If you were picking a side from any players who comes in first. papley or stringer. Papley is a good player but stringer is a dead set weapon who makes his team mates walk taller. He is the epitome of a match winnng player. Maybe his norm Smith will ease his pain

I ask you this. If you were picking a side from any players who comes in first. papley or stringer. Papley is a good player but stringer is a dead set weapon who makes his team mates walk taller. He is the epitome of a match winnng player. Maybe his norm Smith will ease his pain
Papley is a dangerous goal sneak who actually plays in the forward pocket. His stats reflect that with low possessions and high offensive stats. Stringer would’ve been at HFF if selected, but they preferred to put Bont and Miller in those spots.

Complaining about Stringer not being named in the forward pocket is a bit ironic when most of this thread is complaining about players being named out of position to shoehorn as many mids in as possible.

It’s an honour squad named by a bunch of media pundits who barely remember the players names and can’t be trusted to know anything else about them. It’s more meaningful to be named in a side that actually plays… but I doubt there will be another international series for a while.

Here’s the player ratings team of the year and 2nds;

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
His main issue was only playing 18-games. That makes it really tough unless your raw statistics are just outrageous.

And yes I know that Toby Greene played 17-games but he shaded Stringer both with regards to possessions and goals - even if I think Stringer had the superior overall year. The selectors really aren't looking at this very deeply.

If you start moving players around - to create a spot in the forward line - you inevitably have to remove one of the midfielders, which means that Stringer makes the team for Parish.

My only issue is how much half forward does Bont actually play ? Same with Pretracca this year. Both can play forward extremely well but unless I missed something they did play mainly midfield this year. You could argue Fritsch should have got one of the forward spots as a medium forward giev he kicked 47 goals. It seems to be the same all the time. Midfielders in the half forward spots.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
My only issue is how much half forward does Bont actually play ? Same with Pretracca this year. Both can play forward extremely well but unless I missed something they did play mainly midfield this year. You could argue Fritsch should have got one of the forward spots as a medium forward giev he kicked 47 goals. It seems to be the same all the time. Midfielders in the half forward spots.
Yeah I don’t agree with it but it’s the way they go. Really bont should’ve been on ball but they moved him there so they could fit Macrae in. Macrae should’ve been on the bench at most, as soon as I saw he was named there I knew Jake was missing out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back