Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm just old fashioned but I usually expect a defender to know how to defend. So saying his role should be no 1 to 1 is craziness. You are right though. That recent game against WB he was allowed not to be accountable. The one time he was 1 to 1 in first QTR he lost his man who was 20 metres away marking the ball before he did head turns left and right wondering where he was. I'm sorry.....that's just terrible. I for one stand squarely behind horse In his doubts on Allir. AA selection. Congratulations to him but I'm not sold.

AA but not sold, yea right...:rolleyes:

I think the biggest difference is that he has a strong side around him that allows him to only have to play his role and not stretch more than he is capable of. It is getting the best out of him which isn’t really that surprising.
Exactly. There should be no regrets from our part because he would never have been afforded the same opportunity with the state of our backline.

I think the biggest difference is that he has a strong side around him that allows him to only have to play his role and not stretch more than he is capable of. It is getting the best out of him which isn’t really that surprising.
Unfortunately for Aliir, tonight we may see his deficiencies. The Cats will seperate the Port defenders & Aliir will need to get on his bike against Cameron who will tear him to shreds if he doesn't show him respect. The game against the Cats at Port last time was one where Aliir really struggled to defend.
Port defence needs to contend with Cameron, Hawkins, Ratagolea & Rohan in the air & all are strong on the ground. Once Aliir gets beaten a few times he gets shaky & starts fumbling............badly. We all know it. We've watched it plenty of times.
Looking forward to see if Aliir can prove me wrong.

Aliir is no different to McGovern, Ryan, Howe etc. They are intercept defenders, great at playing loose and taking marks, suspect at one on one defending. Let's not pretend like we wouldn't love any of those players in our team :rolleyes:

Problem is Longmire kept moving AA around, and he is a confidence player, when he got moved to a position he didn't like he kept stuffing up and that dented his confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hickey is great dont get me wrong but surely we could of kept AA and still gotten Hickey?

Its painful to watch players we have let go for nothing starring for other teams.

Especially when it is pretty damned obvious what we did wrong with his development, it was obvious even when we had him.

I mean i consider our club competent when it comes to making decisions i just thought at the time it made no sense just giving AA to Port.

Yeah we do a lot right and best club in the comp IMO but the Aliir decision was an absolute shocker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back