RIP Charlie Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes terrible loss … I woke this morning hearing the sad news … I grew up listening to the Stones and as I get older and these icons of my youth pass away … I find myself reflecting on my own life … life really is short … make the most of it while you can …RIP Charlie … Thank you to a true Gentleman

This made me so sad. There is an undefinable element of cool about Charlie that very very few other rock and roll figures have been able to harness.

Brilliant timekeeper and gave every stones song incredible feel and groove. Probably the opposite of John bonham on a technical scale but gave his band strut like bonham did

Vale

Last edited:
The stones fascinate me beyond their music. I’m more of a Beatles fan if I had to choose but beyond George’s kind of unique place in rock history as a sort of genius third wheel who was into mysticism and was even overshadowed in his second major band despite being a f***ing Beatle etc they don’t hold a lot of mystery.

The stones meanwhile have this aura about them - the unkillable one who has put his body through more torture than anyone alive but still keeps on churning out music. The heroin addict thin as a take second guitarist who paints high quality art and sells it at pop up stores in London, the tiny bit bisexual lead singer who has slept with everyone from Jerry Hall to David Bowie, the dapper drummer who was married before his was even in the band and stayed faithful to her ever since and drums with a jazz grip and wears suits and speaks with utter class and intelligence. It fascinates me and then I watch them belt out a song about a hooker in New York and I’m reminded why they’re the greatest rock band of them all

... the dapper drummer who was married before his was even in the band and stayed faithful to her ever since and drums with a jazz grip and wears suits and speaks with utter class and intelligence...
That's a great little summation of Watts - basically a jazz man, who never indulged in the rock'n'roll lifestyle of his comrades, but who played (excellently) in a rock'n'roll band because it paid much better than jazz - and he obviously enjoyed it to do it for almost 60 years.

And yeah, it seems a good time now for them to pack it in - but I suspect the lure to keep going as long as they can in their twilight years will prove too strong for 'em.

Charlie was the glue that kept the Stones together, when Mick and Keef were fighting back in the 80s it was Charlie that brought them back together.

They bounced back with this track.

Charlie Watts often gets overlooked when it comes to great rock drummers as he wasn't the typical flamboyant rock drummer who played self indulgent drum solos, he was understated and underrated as he was a jazz drummer that was turned into a rock drummer by the Stones.

He became a great rock drummer in the greatest rock band of all time so he has to be up there, early 70s Stones is the greatest rock music of all time.

Mick and Keef overshadowed him as they were larger than life rock stars, Charlie was happy to take a backseat to them and let them take the spotlight.

He was still such an integral part of their band that it's hard to see how they can go on without him.

Last edited:
The stones fascinate me beyond their music. I’m more of a Beatles fan if I had to choose but beyond George’s kind of unique place in rock history as a sort of genius third wheel who was into mysticism and was even overshadowed in his second major band despite being a f***ing Beatle etc they don’t hold a lot of mystery.

The stones meanwhile have this aura about them - the unkillable one who has put his body through more torture than anyone alive but still keeps on churning out music. The heroin addict thin as a take second guitarist who paints high quality art and sells it at pop up stores in London, the tiny bit bisexual lead singer who has slept with everyone from Jerry Hall to David Bowie, the dapper drummer who was married before his was even in the band and stayed faithful to her ever since and drums with a jazz grip and wears suits and speaks with utter class and intelligence. It fascinates me and then I watch them belt out a song about a hooker in New York and I’m reminded why they’re the greatest rock band of them all
You didn't even mention possibly the most fascinating one of them all: the guy who built the whole thing way back in 1962.
brian-jones-04.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

The greatest ******* run of albums ever!
Don't even try to argue with me!
And right in the middle of that unmatched quartet of perfection, is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded.

Charlie simply oozed class and style. The most tasteful drummer in rock 'n' roll and the most swingingest (if that is a real word). I discovered the Stones by pure accident way back in 1982, a week or so after my thirteenth birthday. They changed my life. I actually started crying when I read the sad news that Charlie had died. From what I've read and watched over the years, he was a true gentleman and one of the nicest people that you could meet. Stanley Booth, who wrote what I still consider the best book ever written about the Stones (True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones), called Charlie, "the world's most politest man".

And of course, he was simply a great, great drummer. The Stones will almost certainly go on but I wish they wouldn't. Losing Charlie will further dilute their sound as there's only two original members left now. Brian and Charlie both gone, Bill long retired and even Mick Taylor (who replaced founder Jones) no longer with the band. Pianist Ian Stewart (who was also there at the beginning) has been dead for 35 years too. Anyway, what I meant to say was...

Vale, Charlie Watts. Rest in peace.

Charlie simply oozed class and style. The most tasteful drummer in rock 'n' roll and the most swingingest (if that is a real word). I discovered the Stones by pure accident way back in 1982, a week or so after my thirteenth birthday. They changed my life. I actually started crying when I read the sad news that Charlie had died. From what I've read and watched over the years, he was a true gentleman and one of the nicest people that you could meet. Stanley Booth, who wrote what I still consider the best book ever written about the Stones (True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones), called Charlie, "the world's most politest man".

And of course, he was simply a great, great drummer. The Stones will almost certainly go on but I wish they wouldn't. Losing Charlie will further dilute their sound as there's only two original members left now. Brian and Charlie both gone, Bill long retired and even Mick Taylor (who replaced founder Jones) no longer with the band. Pianist Ian Stewart (who was also there at the beginning) has been dead for 35 years too. Anyway, what I meant to say was...

Vale, Charlie Watts. Rest in peace.

I was a kid back in the 80s and was into the pop music of the time, I used to think The Stones were overrated, I only knew a few of their big hits then.

It wasn't until I was in my late teens and started smoking bongs with some older guys that told us to listen to The Stones rather than The Doors.

Sticky Fingers what an album.

This song goes on forever when you're stoned.

I was a kid back in the 80s and was into the pop music of the time, I used to think The Stones were overrated, I only knew a few of their big hits then.

It wasn't until I was in my late teens and started smoking bongs with some older guys that told us to listen to The Stones rather than The Doors.

Sticky Fingers what an album.

This song goes on forever when you're stoned.

Best Stones! (Just) imho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back