Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Gary Rohan in finals:

21 games

14 goals
9 behinds

12/21 games with 0 goals.

Average of 0.67 goals per game as a pure forward.

188 disposals at an average of 8.95 per game.

13/21 with 9 or less disposals.

I can’t recall a player that’s consistently had that many bad finals across their career.

He was like playing with one man down most of the time. I don't know what he offered. I think he might have carved out a much more modest career for himself if he was given a go on the half-back/wing area early on- but he wasn't. I never cared for him at the Swans, I wasn't fussed we let him go, I was surprised the Cats took him on though.

Leon Davis?

Remarkably inconsistent with his form for a guy who's played 160 games. His best is almost an unstoppable presence up forward, his worst is you might as well legitimately put a traffic cone forward and hope an opposition player accidentally forgets about it and trips over

Possibly. I'd probably rate Dangerfield one of the most overrrated players of all time too. If Essendon had the choice between Dusty, Danger, Fyfe or Oliver to bring in tomorrow Danger would be last choice by an absolute mile.

Dangerfield is not the worst finals player, but if you take into account he's supposed to be one of the elite players in the competition he doesn't seem to lift to what is expected of him on the big stage.
I would agree, the super high standard he sets in the regular season doesn't get matched in finals, it's why Dusty is rated higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His performances are so bad that if he did win a GF he’d probably roll his ankle on the way to the dais.
It's beyond a joke now, he's played so many shocking finals matches, that I feel, the law of averages suggests he will play an absolute blinder before the season is out. Similar to Ian Healy with the bat at Test level, eventually, you're going to come good.

17 finals
16 goals
0.94 goals per game

240 disposals
14.11 disposals per game

However Leon Davis probably is the worst Grand Final player ever having recorded a 0 disposal game.
Finlayson gave that record a crack.

It’s a tad harsh on poor Gary. He did have 12 disposals after all, which is miles above his finals average.
Scored 0.0 however…….
So he played a poor finals game which was better than his usual shocking ones.

His two best finals are clear outliers. 23 and 18 disposals in those two games. Remove them from the equation and his stats are even worse - 147 disposals in 19 games (avg. 7.7)

17 finals
16 goals
0.94 goals per game

240 disposals
14.11 disposals per game

However Leon Davis probably is the worst Grand Final player ever having recorded a 0 disposal game.
Cam Mooney had a 0 disposal game in the 99 Grand Final and 0 everything else. Leon laid 3 tackles in his. Be interesting to know how much game time either of them played as interchange numbers were low back then.

Worst I’ve seen

Dangerfield is up there from current players, obviously nowhere near as bad but his drop off from Home and Away form to finals is even bigger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back