Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
The theory on this works ok, but if Darcy is going to go at Pick 3 as expected, then that trade will probably still leave them around 300 points short and still push them back in the draft. So it will likely depend on if anyone else offers more.
Only other club that could offer more from what i can remember is Geelong who have 3 picks in the 30's
would they be prepared to lose all 3 picks for a 14/15 spot upgrade ?

The doggies also have a few player to off load this year Lipinski , West , Hayes im sure they will get some points to cover Darcy

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
There is a reason why Adelaide delisted Talia, he is not the player he was. He is slow and football is getting faster. If he was a gun still he would still be at Adelaide.

If we get Talia, then Miller goes back to being backup and is most likely going to look elsewhere. That is the problem with getting older players unless they have not lost their pace especially , i.e Geelong with Smith, there is very short term gain, but it takes away from a player who may turn out to be just what we are after. A tall, fast defensive back who has the attributes can play on the King Bros, etc. Ability, time will tell.

I would rather back Miller and Biggy to come on, go to the draft, it is not like we are going back to scratch, Grimes and Broad are still there to organise things.

Not advocating to recruit Talia, but I think the most obvious reason the Crows are unloading him is that Jordon Butts has come on. Butts has had an excellent year, is 21yo and has stood up remarkably well v the best tall forwards all year. Like Talia, he doesn’t provide great drive from defence, so you are not playing both of them and at this stage you are clearly giving priority to the younger player.

We are in no position to know the chances of Talia coming back near his best, but even if he did, I don’t think he’d be wanting to play for a paltry wage. I presume that would be our stumbling block regarding him.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Not advocating to recruit Talia, but I think the most obvious reason the Crows are unloading him is that Jordon Butts has come on. Butts has had an excellent year, is 21yo and has stood up remarkably well v the best tall forwards all year. Like Talia, he doesn’t provide great drive from defence, so you are not playing both of them and at this stage you are clearly giving priority to the younger player.

We are in no position to know the chances of Talia coming back near his best, but even if he did, I don’t think he’d be wanting to play for a paltry wage. I presume that would be our stumbling block regarding him.
Perhaps like Adelaide we should also back our young players. Miller may do a Butts for all we know. He has been injured or has played very little VFL footy in the last few years but did pretty well in the few games he played this year. 24 possessions one game. He should have played earlier than he did when Astbury went down but the match committee were too cautious.

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Perhaps like Adelaide we should also back our young players. Miller may do a Butts for all we know. He has been injured or has played very little VFL footy in the last few years but did pretty well in the few games he played this year. 24 possessions one game. He should have played earlier than he did when Astbury went down but the match committee were too cautious.

we had plenty of opportunity to play miller when he was doing okay in the vfl and even listed as emergency a few times. Not surprised match committee selection stuff this up as well considering they took all year until it was over to drop aarts and Castagna

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
we had plenty of opportunity to play miller when he was doing okay in the vfl and even listed as emergency a few times. Not surprised match committee selection stuff this up as well considering they took all year until it was over to drop aarts and Castagna
They were reticent at times to back the youth, in and out of the side, I guess ladder position dictated a bit. Reckon missing the finals might be a good thing, come back clean slate and a bit hungrier, especially the young players who might fight a bit harder to retain their spots. The older players might not feel as entitled either which won't hurt.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Tarrant hates us... he's openly said beating us in a final is his fondest memory, they won a final the following week....
He's not coming to Richmond
Robbie Tarrant has one contract left in him I reckon. He’s not winning a flag at North, but he might win one at Richmond (or somewhere else). So does he want the chance at a flag, or to be a one-club player?

Likewise Talia… could go to a lot of clubs. Richmond would offer the chance of a flag, and he’d be moving back to his home state. I expect he’d be pretty cheap too.

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Article "Big Ben grasps his opportunity" on Richmond website yesterday pretty much telegraphs Miller is staying. Don't think they'd pump his tyres up that much and turf him out. It reminded me of every second game Cyril Rioli played. He might be only had 6 touches but wowee what touches lol. Bring in Talia best man gets Astbury's spot.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Article "Big Ben grasps his opportunity" on Richmond website yesterday pretty much telegraphs Miller is staying. Don't think they'd pump his tyres up that much and turf him out. It reminded me of every second game Cyril Rioli played. He might be only had 6 touches but wowee what touches lol. Bring in Talia best man gets Astbury's spot.
Talia will get the spot, they always do. (Established players)

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
He's looked very safe on debut, composed, can't recall him beaten. Very good size for a KPD.
Would be pretty happy to see our defence line up with Balta at CHB and Miller at FB with Grimes the 3rd tall in round 1 2022.
Been calling for it for a good while now.
Still dont know if he is going to make it but he and Balta as far as KPD goes is all we have who are ready. Still think a player like Talia as cover for a season or two would be a wise move just in case neither he nor Nyuon come on and of course injury to Balta or Miller.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Been calling for it for a good while now.
Still dont know if he is going to make it but he and Balta as far as KPD goes is all we have who are ready. Still think a player like Talia as cover for a season or two would be a wise move just in case neither he nor Nyuon come on and of course injury to Balta or Miller.
I'm on the fence with Talia. For one, wouldn't want to pay him a big salary and would be worried about a 2 year deal, given he didn't play at all in 2021.

I'm also unsure if it's better for us to develop the kids like Miller and Biggy, or load up for another crack in 2022 with someone like Talia

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm on the fence with Talia. For one, wouldn't want to pay him a big salary and would be worried about a 2 year deal, given he didn't play at all in 2021.

I'm also unsure if it's better for us to develop the kids like Miller and Biggy, or load up for another crack in 2022 with someone like Talia
Dont think getting someone like Talia is loading up for a crack in 2022. Its Pretty clear we have a real lack of depth with our Kpd's. What happens if Balta goes down again there is no old head like Dave Astbury to come in and fill the void it will be down to 1 game Miller and no game Nyuon. What happens if Miller gets hurt theres only Nyuon.

Pesonally id go for Schenslog from S/F he has been great this year in the WAFL and he is versatile as well. Still only 21 maybe 22 next year. It sort of reminds me of the Harry Taylor situation. And as cover and a mature head id take Talia.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Dont think getting someone like Talia is loading up for a crack in 2022. Its Pretty clear we have a real lack of depth with our Kpd's. What happens if Balta goes down again there is no old head like Dave Astbury to come in and fill the void it will be down to 1 game Miller and no game Nyuon. What happens if Miller gets hurt theres only Nyuon.

Pesonally id go for Schenslog from S/F he has been great this year in the WAFL and he is versatile as well. Still only 21 maybe 22 next year. It sort of reminds me of the Harry Taylor situation. And as cover and a mature head id take Talia.
Talia would be safer, but would probably get games in front of Miller, back to square one. SA, WA semi mature players are not as safe, but agree we need backup so might be the cover we need.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Just on Miller and Nyuon how many 198cm + gun backs are there??

Not many I would have thought.

Harris Andrews, is a freak but now Nick Riewoldt would even thinking of moving him forward in the finals ahead.

Darcy Moore is a freak in the sense his old man was a genuine superstar so he has the IQ in the genes.

Blicavs is a freak athlete for his height. Not to many have his CV on athletic achievements..

How many more truely gun defenders at that height and more??

Who knows with Miller and Nyuon especially Nyoun who has freakish attributes but it will not be easy and their development would not be a given given how difficult it is for them to achieve what is needed

Harris Andrews, is a freak but now Nick Riewoldt would even thinking of moving him forward in the finals ahead.

Darcy Moore is a freak in the sense his old man was a superstar so he has the IQ in the genes.

Blicavs is a freak athlete for his height. Not to many have his CV on athletic achievements..

Anymore truely gun defenders at that height and more??

Who knows with Miller and Nyuon especially Nyoun who has freakish attributes but it will not be easy and their development would not be a given given how difficult it is for them to achieve what is needed
Why do you always get so caught up on heights as if once a player is over a specific cm they can’t play a certain role or no longer viable because there aren’t others around the comp

Just judge each player on their own merits

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do you always get so caught up on heights as if once a player is over a specific cm they can’t play a certain role or no longer viable because there aren’t others around the comp

Just judge each player on their own merits

Every play is diffferent and unique but height and other attributes are a factor that has to be overcome. Why do they have weight divisions in boxing and weightlighting? Why do they have the paralympics??

Some are more advantaged than others and that is identified to increase the chances of winning and competing.

Its hard for Bolton to ruck against NN, its just a fact and even if he could how long would his body stand up?

Remember historically players with such heights where never present so the sample size is small and the frontier is still under investigation like a mutating virus

Every play is diffferent but height and other attributes are a factor that has to be overcome. Why do they have weight divisions in boxing and weightlighting? Why do they have the paralympics??

Some are more advantaged than others and that is identified to increase the chances of winning and competing.

Its hard for Bolton to ruck against NN, its just a fact and even if he could how long would his body stand up?
But in regards to Miller and Nyuon you ask how many 198cm backs are there.
Who cares it literally dosent make a difference For how they will develop as individuals

Of course you want a tall player to be a ruck or a key forward but you take the discussion to extremes that have absolutely zero relevance

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Who cares it literally dosent make a difference For how they will develop as individuals

Of course you want a tall player to be a ruck or a key forward but you take the discussion to extremes that have absolutely zero relevance

Because in assessing probability of success it is relevant. It is relevant in predicting the probability of players individually and their fit in teams made up of players with different attributes and achieve complimentary synergies. Every player is different and unique in terms of the overall matrix but it is a factor which influences the outcome its just a question of how much depending on the individual and the opposition and the team mates around a player and the rules at the time

For example how many 200 cm players play Eddie Betts role??? None I can think of. Even Buddy Franklin in his prime was not as good as Eddie Betts for ball on the ground and kicking goals at sharp angles.

We are talking about the extreme edges of current ranges of factors so that makes the acuteness of the factor more relevant. If the player was 194 or 195, not a factor, proven. Astbury was not a superstar but he was very good and important and critical in his role at 195.

So one does not blacklist someone because they are 198cm or above, Harris Andrews, Darcy Moore, Blicavs is evidence of that, but their rarity is a factor to consider combined with their overall effectiveness

Eddie Betts and JR where talking about Franklin on Fox before the GWS Swans match. One of them mentioned BUddy can still kick 65 metres. I bet, for all the will in the would Eddie cannot kick the ball 65 metres in the air. That does not mean Eddie cannot play. Eddie has his niche and role can be and was great but Eddie was not playing football because he could kick 65 metres in the air or not, that is a fact

Last edited:

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers

Don't get baited into it...

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Darcy Moore is a freak in the sense his old man was a genuine superstar so he has the IQ in the genes.

There is 2cm difference between our two and Allir Allir and Sam Taylor, not a lot in it. Not many 200cm forwards around in Nick Riewoldt's days either, now there are plenty, the King Bros, Cox, English, Lynch (199) and a few others. Players are getting taller all over the field. Miller is a very good athlete, fast with a good leap, Nyuon is a better athlete than Andrews, Blicavs and Moore.

We only need one of them to come on, 2 down the track would set us up and free up Balta.

PHanevski

Debutant
Jul 5, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Guns Backs, probably not a lot, but there are plenty of decent backs that height who played this year or just finished up:

Dougal Howard - 199cm, 97Kg, 25Yo, 85 games
Liam Jones - 199cm, 97KG, 30YO, 161 games
James Stewart - 199cm, 96KG, 27yo, 71 games
Harris Andrews - 202cm, 98kg, 24yo, 134 games
Alec Pearce - 201cm, 99kg, 26yo, 63 games
Jake Carlise - 201cm, 103kg, 29yo, 151 games
Jorden Rougheah - 200cm, 100kg, 30yo, 200 games
Darcy Moore - 203cm, 100kg, 25yo, 102 games

Then you have Phill Davis, Alex Keath and Daniel Talia who are all 197cm and have played plenty of footy.

Miller is 198cm, 96kg, 21yo and has played 1 game. I don't expect him to be a gun, but then neither was Astbury. What we are looking for is for him to be a part of a backline group. If he turns out better than that, then great, but if he turns out to be a solid player that does his job then that is what we need.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Guns Backs, probably not a lot, but there are plenty of decent backs that height who played this year or just finished up:

Dougal Howard - 199cm, 97Kg, 25Yo, 85 games
Liam Jones - 199cm, 97KG, 30YO, 161 games
James Stewart - 199cm, 96KG, 27yo, 71 games
Harris Andrews - 202cm, 98kg, 24yo, 134 games
Alec Pearce - 201cm, 99kg, 26yo, 63 games
Jake Carlise - 201cm, 103kg, 29yo, 151 games
Jorden Rougheah - 200cm, 100kg, 30yo, 200 games
Darcy Moore - 203cm, 100kg, 25yo, 102 games

Then you have Phill Davis, Alex Keath and Daniel Talia who are all 197cm and have played plenty of footy.

Miller is 198cm, 96kg, 21yo and has played 1 game. I don't expect him to be a gun, but then neither was Astbury. What we are looking for is for him to be a part of a backline group. If he turns out better than that, then great, but if he turns out to be a solid player that does his job then that is what we need.

Talia is 196cm from two different sources including AFC website. I will scrutinise the others. Honestly give me May, Lever, Weitering, Allir, Allir anyday. Even Sam Taylor
your making a good case for CCJ though

Last edited:
Back