Discussion Jumper decisions that have been influenced by on-field results

The 2016-17 gold jumper was an interesting one. Seemed to be either loved or despised by large parts of our supporter base. The hate was not so much due to losing because it didn't actually get much of a run and we ended up with a 3-2 record in it. It was more because many people had gotten used to a white jumper (after nearly everyone being dead against it when it was first introduced in 2010) and just didn't like the brighter base. Its usage in the infamous game against North in Hobart where they scored 10 goals to our no score in the first quarter certainly didn't help people warm to it either. Whats interesting is that despite the hate for that one, I feel like the current gold clash has actually had a lot more support. Maybe the design being closer to the home jumper is all that they needed to feel better about it.
Never really understood the hate on the gold clash back in 16-17. Certainly was good to see a club wear a non-white clash, and even though I think the white one was better (love seeing all three club colours used in equal proportions) the yellow wasn't necessarily bad. BLK definitely didn't do it justice though with how their yellow turned out.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Lions moved back to the post-merge Lion in an attempt to refresh the brand, thankfully the silly paddlepop design had only lasted about 6 years. The paddlepop left more ceremoniously than it arrived, fans voted it out.

Edit: I should add that we were current Suns-level placing like 5 years in a row.

I don't think on-field results had that much to do with the change, it was just a s**t design. Not to mention it pissed off the remaining Fitzroy supporters

Orange Paradox

Debutant
Oct 7, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Glenelg, Cardinals (NFL), Kings (NBA)
Surely we can throw North's "Pinstripes" design into this category once they change jumpers in a few months time?
1629975122857.png

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"What jumper decisions lol"

There can always be subtle adjustments, even if the design stays mostly the same. I seem to recall this change to a straighter sash was influenced by wanting it to look more like it did for most of the 20th century. Could be wrong though.

1629991879206.png

(thanks mero)

1629991966044.png

neogh

Senior List
Apr 17, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dolphins, MVFC
There can always be subtle adjustments, even if the design stays mostly the same. I seem to recall this change to a straighter sash was influenced by wanting it to look more like it did for most of the 20th century. Could be wrong though.

View attachment 1218037
(thanks mero)

View attachment 1218038

We have a decent record in that fat sash. But in the end not a special jumper.

Personally, as a big giants fan, I think they will keep the same home jumper as this year. It looks nicer then the old one no reason to change it. BUT, the clash jumpers is where things happen. Cause if our colours are Orange, Charcoal, and white, we should have a mainly orange home, a charcoal away (never surrender guernsey) and a white third (like the indigenous but maybe a full orange G).

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally, as a big giants fan, I think they will keep the same home jumper as this year. It looks nicer then the old one no reason to change it. BUT, the clash jumpers is where things happen. Cause if our colours are Orange, Charcoal, and white, we should have a mainly orange home, a charcoal away (never surrender guernsey) and a white third (like the indigenous but maybe a full orange G).
Maybe the GF scared the Giants away from a White Clash as a superstition? i mean they won a really close final in it against Brisbane but the GF was a horror show

Maybe the GF scared the Giants away from a White Clash as a superstition? i mean they won a really close final in it against Brisbane but the GF was a horror show
Your right but the white indigenous just looks so good, needs to be white and orange, not white and grey

I think the jumper it was based off looked better tbh, was weird that they announced it as "here is what you've been asking for" only for it to not be that. Maybe with thicker lines it'd be perfect. There already is an orange equivalent but I'm struggling to pull up a good quality picture.
1630150305890.png

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
It can't be that hard for the Giants, just take the back, cuffs, and collar of the "Never Surrender" guernsey, and have the front of the home (or better the old home). We have been saying it on here for years. The kit will be dark enough to not clash with most teams they clash with now, and have either an orange or white alternate (even both) for when needed.

I wouldn't go with the "Never Surrender" kit as a main home kit as the front looks blank from a distance, so it either needs a solid orange G or the above suggestion to make it look better.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Was so much better, 2016 varient the best by far since it didnt have the stupid charcole side panels that made a weird point with the orange
Would be perfect with an charcoal back on the home.

Then you could swap the charcoal and orange parts on a clash jumper.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Was so much better, 2016 varient the best by far since it didnt have the stupid charcole side panels that made a weird point with the orange
Would be perfect with an charcoal back on the home.

Then you could swap the charcoal and orange parts on a clash jumper.
Exactly right, no charcoal side panels and if they did a Brisbane/Melbourne and made the back of the shoulders orange, then with the rest charcoal they would still have this guernsey today.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Exactly right, no charcoal side panels and if they did a Brisbane/Melbourne and made the back of the shoulders orange, then with the rest charcoal they would still have this guernsey today.
gws-kits-v3.png

Last edited:
Back