Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

We beat ourselves, this is year where basically all the finalists have realistic chances….Port in the absolute drivers seat.

I don't rate Bell but we can go over shoulda coulda wouldas in terms of moments where players got things wrong in that game, including some of our much more fancied players who fumbled their lines.

Parker and Hewett did their usual. Cannot fault their effort. Did not think this was Hewett's best game and lacked his usual composure, though the moment where he spun out of a tackle with his shorts around his arse and still found a target was an exemplary moment of class. Parker's marking was a highlight in a game where we seemed to just have butter on our fingers.

Of the young brigade I thought McCartin and Rowbottom were not only very good but led by example in moments. Especially McCartin, who had at one point had me saying, "Alexa, play I Am a Rock by Simon and Garfunkel."

Buddy had a quality game. Always good for a miss a game, shouldn't be hung for that miss happening in a crucial moment on this occasion. It's like hanging Heeney for his miss earlier in the game despite him getting us back into it.

Papley was BOG for me. Just set the tone with his intensity and the standard with his skill. Felt like a bit of a coming of age moment for him on the back of an All Australian blazer.

Some of those guys in that age bracket where they should be asserting themselves - Melican, Florent, Hayward - need to take a good look at themselves over the summer. Good players, but the disparity between their best and worst is just glaring.

Finally, I felt underwhelmed that despite the younger guys being talked up as the ones who would step up in this game, Horse never really gave them that chance. I still did not get my Rowbottom-Warner double at a centre bounce, and both were virtually kept out of centre bounces the entire second half. Felt like we needed to try and make the absence of JPK & Mills something of a blessing for us. But instead we just kinda ran with the same olds and I felt it was an opportunity kinda squandered.

Unbelievably proud of this group, and the whole club. No shame in losing a final by 1 point when we were doing a lot right, and did a lot right for the whole season. Great launching pad for something bigger next year.

PS. Lucky no one got ahead of themselves and said we'd win the flag this year ;)

Understand why they backed Melican as we had no other KPD option, but why they backed Bell is a complete mystery to me. Fox, Taylor, Clarke, Grey would have all been better options.

In fairness, the only one on that list that should have been ahead of bell was fox, but I guess they made fox the medi sub as he was a better cover. In hindsight though, it was the wrong call.

You live and you learn.

Bell is done imo

I don't rate Bell but we can go over shoulda coulda wouldas in terms of moments where players got things wrong in that game, including some of our much more fancied players who fumbled their lines.

Parker and Hewett did their usual. Cannot fault their effort. Did not think this was Hewett's best game and lacked his usual composure, though the moment where he spun out of a tackle with his shorts around his arse and still found a tackle was an exemplary moment of class. Parker's marking was a highlight in a game where we seemed to just have butter on our fingers.

Of the young brigade I thought McCartin and Rowbottom were not only very good but led by example in moments. Especially McCartin, who had at one point had me saying, "Alexa, play I Am a Rock by Simon and Garfunkel."

Buddy had a quality game. Always good for a miss a game, shouldn't be hung for that miss happening in a crucial moment on this occasion. It's like hanging Heeney for his miss earlier in the game despite him getting us back into it.

Papley was BOG for me. Just set the tone with his intensity and the standard with his skill. Felt like a bit of a coming of age moment for him on the back of an All Australian blazer.

Some of those guys in that age bracket where they should be asserting themselves - Melican, Florent, Hayward - need to take a good look at themselves over the summer. Good players, but the disparity between their best and worst is just glaring.

Finally, I felt underwhelmed that despite the younger guys being talked up as the ones who would step up in this game, Horse never really gave them that chance. I still did not get my Rowbottom-Warner double at a centre bounce, and both were virtually kept out of centre bounces the entire second half. Felt like we needed to try and make the absence of JPK & Mills something of a blessing for us. But instead we just kinda ran with the same olds and I felt it was an opportunity kinda squandered.

Unbelievably proud of this group, and the whole club. No shame in losing a final by 1 point when we were doing a lot right, and did a lot right for the whole season. Great launching pad for something bigger next year.

PS. Lucky no one got ahead of themselves and said we'd win the flag this year ;)

Ur predictions about winning the flag were totally inane hopefully noone fell for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But to be honest, I thought we would slip away from the 8 like the Crows did when we had the hot start. Looked cooked approaching the bye. How we got our second wind in the season after the bye, I don't know.

Bell Harrison Barnes'd it for us. Just that kick from 20 would have done it. Don't know if the ghosts of that kick will ever leave him.

I know others missed shots as well (wide open Wicks for goal, Hayward dribbler that hit the post, Buddy missing it in the same spot he kicked his 2007 EF goal), but for a prospect that wants to be in the main game, I dont know.

That he should have ****ing handballed.

Gutted to say the least, we could’ve won that but just did not take our opportunities.
One we will rue IMO with buddy, hickey, rampe another year older next season
a pretty shakey geelong in Perth to look forward to as well

If ever a game had mixed emotions then that was it.
Proud of the effort by the team after things looked like getting away from them in the Second quarter, but on the other hand frustrating that the forward entries were abysmal, and the forward 50 too congested.
Likewise in the final quarter proud of the fight in the team, but frustrated some inaccuracy at crucial times proved fatal.
All in all when no one rated the Swans as finals contenders (and some had the Swans finishing last) , proud of the effort and look forward to 2022 when hopefully we can have a normal h&a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back