U18 Champs WA v SA U19's Championship game, Saturday 1PM (AWST), Game being broadcast on AFL Youtube

Remove this Banner Ad

How tall is he ? ......agree, he looked excellent in the ruck, but depends on his height re his future

Matthew Roberts will slide to late teens in the Draft ....emphasis by clubs is on midfield speed, and he's not good enough to compensate for his ave athleticism

Burgoyne's class ....will be a good pickup, and good AFL footballer

Horne Smith looked to be in safety mode ....and Draper is also, like Roberts, a late teens Draft pick
Lukac is 196cm but you're not drafting him as a ruck, he's a forward and has been good all season playing forward mostly with only squirts in the ruck for WWT. He'd be a development project but one I'd be keen to take on.

Is JHF a bit like Cam Rayner in his draft year? Lacking the endurance to get to enough contests and get enough uncontested possessions?
Might take a few pre seasons to build has capacity in that area

Not that I’m much chop compared to the likes of eDPS PMBangers & Davo-27, but I shared my views below on JHF’s game today on the North board. See below…

Tried to watch today as objectively as I could. Have loved what I’ve seen of JHF this year but also don’t want to be married to a selection…

- As a whole, I’d say all the SA kids were disappointing. Not one had a good game, bar maybe Wanganeen, who I thought (like JHF) showed glimpses rather then having a good game.
- In terms of JHF, he is clearly a high impact player over accumulator. Unsure of whether he will ever be an accumulator, his midfield craft looked a bit rusty, just wasn’t running to the right spots. That being said, it was the case with all the SA mids, they were dominated and the WA ruckman was pretty influential in giving them silver service. Had a couple clearances & unlike his teammates, always takes the best option.
- Played 50/50 mid forward and then played entire 4th quarter as full forward where surprisingly I thought he was most influential. Kicked one goal, gave off one that he could have kicked but gave it to his team mate running into the goal square. His ball use is elite, did not waste a possession. His marking is elite.
- Biggest concern is he looked a little lost at stoppages. That being said, so did Roberts & Draper at times who are two of the other best prospects in the country, which tells me that there is a clear breakdown in what they were doing.
- His transitional running didn’t look as bad as some had mentioned (IMO) and think he would have got quite a bit more touches in a decent side, but they were just a mess, burning each other all the time, not playing for each other.

I’m not reading too much into that game in regards to any of the SA prospects tbh. They were completely dominated and we know that there are some serious prospects in that side, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt

Probably comes down to what you're looking for and rated other performances as well, would be interested in peoples WA top 6's as well tbh
Was at the ground

M.Johnson
Sheldrick
Bazzo
Van Rooyen
Browne

J.Amiss next up after that. Reckon Woewodin won a truckload of it aswell and used it fine.

I didnt think much of Drapers game either although the stat sheet probably looks ok. Hes got upside but your picking him based more on potential rather than output but thats drafting. I must admit i didnt go this guys got something special, i said he looks skinny, shy and easily pushed around.

Wanganeen and Burgoyne saw plenty of it across half back and close to best 2 for me from SA. Roberts played in patches and his decision making is similar. Horne was no where until the game was over it seemed WA put a bit of work into him (Without tagging). Liddy got a tonne of it but again mainly when game was over.

But then again it seems i completely missed Rayson. I thought Listher got a bit of it again was down there alot and at times found himself on Amiss

Not that I’m much chop compared to the likes of eDPS PMBangers & Davo-27, but I shared my views below on JHF’s game today on the North board. See below…

Tried to watch today as objectively as I could. Have loved what I’ve seen of JHF this year but also don’t want to be married to a selection…

- As a whole, I’d say all the SA kids were disappointing. Not one had a good game, bar maybe Wanganeen, who I thought (like JHF) showed glimpses rather then having a good game.
- In terms of JHF, he is clearly a high impact player over accumulator. Unsure of whether he will ever be an accumulator, his midfield craft looked a bit rusty, just wasn’t running to the right spots. That being said, it was the case with all the SA mids, they were dominated and the WA ruckman was pretty influential in giving them silver service. Had a couple clearances & unlike his teammates, always takes the best option.
- Played 50/50 mid forward and then played entire 4th quarter as full forward where surprisingly I thought he was most influential. Kicked one goal, gave off one that he could have kicked but gave it to his team mate running into the goal square. His ball use is elite, did not waste a possession. His marking is elite.
- Biggest concern is he looked a little lost at stoppages. That being said, so did Roberts & Draper at times who are two of the other best prospects in the country, which tells me that there is a clear breakdown in what they were doing.
- His transitional running didn’t look as bad as some had mentioned (IMO) and think he would have got quite a bit more touches in a decent side, but they were just a mess, burning each other all the time, not playing for each other.

I’m not reading too much into that game in regards to any of the SA prospects tbh. They were completely dominated and we know that there are some serious prospects in that side, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt
Lack of practise runs for SA hurt, as well as having poor tall stocks so they lost most ruck contests, makes it hard for Draper and Horne in particular to impact in the guts as those guys that usually are the target to win the clearances. SA rotated a lot as well so was rare the Horne was in there with other guys you'd typically consider in their best starting 3

Horne Smith looked to be in safety mode ....

Safety mode?

I thought his midfield performance was a carbon copy of the performances I’ve watched at SANFL level this year.

Struggled to find clear space, or get involved in chains of play.

His forward work today was an obvious highlight. That contested mark was not too dissimilar to one against Port last week. He has a real ability to protect the ball drop and buffer his opponent.

I think it’s a no brainer he’ll start as a half forward at AFL level.

So, is that good or bad .......does Horne-Francis get enough possessions, or more just what he does is very good ?

Take it however you want I guess.

Personally I just think it is a bit disingenuous to say the performance was because he was in ‘safety mode’.

Particularly since it’s similar to his performances the whole season.

Last edited:
Would be nice to get a Tas vs SA and WA games up whilst they can especially in say Adelaide next weekend

I dont believe anythings been organised but get games done whilst theirs a window

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice to get a Tas vs SA and WA games up whilst they can especially in say Adelaide next weekend

I dont believe anythings been organised but get games done whilst theirs a window
With no disrespect meant for Tasmania, I can't see that benefitting anyone

I thought Draper was good when he got his hands on the ball but when he didn’t he was just a spectator and my biggest pet peeve for the game was watching him watch wa mids around contests walk the ball out. A cardboard cutout would have been more useful.

Whoever gets their hands on him in the draft might have a bit of work to do on him defensively

I thought Draper was good when he got his hands on the ball but when he didn’t he was just a spectator and my biggest pet peeve for the game was watching him watch wa mids around contests walk the ball out. A cardboard cutout would have been more useful.

Whoever gets their hands on him in the draft might have a bit of work to do on him defensively
Yep - this was very noticeable in the 3rd quarter when he went into the midfield and WA had a picnic out of the centre.

I know they might not be great but games are better than none.

I suppose it impacts finals for WAFL and SANFL next weekend although it does this weekend aswell
The players would get more from a training session than coming up against Tassie, it'd be a non-contest

Not talking from a player perspective all from a recruiting perspective

You dont think Tassy could kick 4 goals against SA? Are they that bad now?
Tassie couldnt manage a win over the GWS academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back