Preview Changes for Elimination Final vs Bombers (UTAS Sun 3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked disheveled and sounded deflated. It’s pretty obvious when you listen to a coach or captain that is confident and switched on. I’ve watched hundreds of interviews of these two. One of the worst ever.
View attachment 1220160
I think the commentary around them looking flat is massively overstated. I watched it.

It's a zoom meeting in an isolated surrounding. Disregard.

Just looked disheveled and sounded deflated. It’s pretty obvious when you listen to a coach or captain that is confident and switched on. I’ve watched hundreds of interviews of these two. One of the worst ever.
View attachment 1220160
Tbf all these Zoom interviews get on my nerves and no doubt it’s the same for them.

Bob asked Woody what Shade of Bevo has he seen this week… a fierce shade or a whimsical poetic shade???”

Wood’s response: “No it certainly wasn’t fierce, he certainly doesn’t go fierce very often at all, they’re few and far between. I would say a realistic shade a buoyant shade about what’s ahead of us.”

And generally speaking, that sounds like the right approach. That is good positive sports psychology. I’m just not sure if it’s right for this group. We’ve been doing the positive anything is possible approach for a long while now. It suited the mix of hardened veterans and young talent we had back in 2015-2016.

The thing this group has lacked come finals time in the last two years is a bit of fierce. We have the cattle, just hope we have the desire. We’ll know (just like the last two years) within 5 minutes.

if it is not there, then yes, we will require a serious in depth review of the whole coaching and leadership. Generational talent on our list, the window has been open and I would say we have already wasted a couple year’s of it.

In relation to the above, listened to Hinkley and Leppitch on the radio yesterday. Clearly Hinks values Voss and Montgomery a lot and Leppitch had heaps to offer Richmond. Those sorts of senior voices are a big hole and I think would go along way to setting a broader tone beyond the positive stuff Bevo has to offer.

View attachment 1220160

To be honest, I don't read a lot into this his sort of stuff. They could have done with some better lighting, but I've seen bad body language, horrible goal kicking pre match and we've come out and won by 10 goals, so don't think it's indicative of anything. I wouldn't want to speak to Whateley either. They were probably starting to drift off during one of his long monologues.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't read a lot into this his sort of stuff. They could have done with some better lighting, but I've seen bad body language, horrible goal kicking pre match and we've come out and won by 10 goals, so don't think it's indicative of anything. I wouldn't want to speak to Whateley either. They were probably starting to drift off during one of his long monologues.
Aren’t we trying to present ourselves as a professional organization on the verge of taking the next step? If I presented myself like that on the eve of a big project at work I would almost literally take a beating from management.

it would never happen though because my professional organization would ensure those small details are nailed. I pay the bills at this joint with my families’ 6 memberships. I think it’s fair to expect better. Sponsors would too

Aren’t we trying to present ourselves as a professional organization on the verge of taking the next step? If I presented myself like that on the eve of a big project at work I would almost literally take a beating from management.

it would never happen though because my professional organization would ensure those small details are nailed. I pay the bills at this joint with my families’ 6 memberships. I think it’s fair to expect better. Sponsors would too
You're entitled to your disappointment. As one who also pays membership, I hold different view. I am in no way outraged that they dress casually in their own homes whilst on a zoom meeting to a subscriber football show. The price of petrol when lockdown comes off. Now that's an outrage.

You're entitled to your disappointment. As one who also pays membership, I hold different view. I am in no way outraged that they dress casually in their own homes whilst on a zoom meeting to a subscriber football show. The price of petrol when lockdown comes off. Now that's an outrage.
To be clear, I’m not disappointed in the presentation itself but because small details like this actually translate to performance where it counts. It’s all part of culture. Culture is what wins premierships.

Pretty sure they get told to wear the media polo. How “smart” can you make that top? It’s pretty crap.

To be clear, I’m not disappointed in the presentation itself but because small details like this actually translate to performance where it counts. It’s all part of culture. Culture is what wins premierships.
Which one of the 2 backdrops do you prefer? Bont's looks a bit spartan and sterile whereas Bevo's a bit more welcoming and homely, not too cluttered, and with just a hint of aspiration in the strategically placed "To the moon and back".

One can only imagine what background Libba may have chosen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which one of the 2 backdrops do you prefer? Bont's looks a bit spartan and sterile whereas Bevo's a bit more welcoming and homely, not too cluttered, and with just a hint of aspiration in the strategically placed "To the moon and back".

If Libba hosted all of our pre finals press conferences we would be unstoppable.

I believe he held one from his car in 2016 the week before the elimination final where he suggested we were playing a different team.

I think the commentary around them looking flat is massively overstated. I watched it.

Its pretty weird seeing people read the tea leaves and extrapolate what the want from a single interview shot on a potato in their homes and lit by a single candle.

Its pretty weird seeing people read the tea leaves and extrapolate what the want from a single interview shot on a potato and lit by candles.
No one is extrapolating like that. We’re looking at three weeks worth of poor performances and strange selection topped off with deflated pre finals interview. Looking at the whole recent picture.

No one is extrapolating like that. We’re looking at three weeks worth of poor performances and strange selection topped off with deflated pre finals interview. Looking at the whole recent picture.
That’s a way of looking at it

first week was the first poor clearance performance for a while but overall won general play. No Keath meant dysfunctional defence. Bruce injured at end of game

Next game. Solid defence but still bad clearances. Awful ruck play and no forward function with Bruce gone

Next game. Great defence. Great pressure. Solid ground ball attack but poor clearances due to another game of poor ruck. Forward function was improved but that port defence was superb.

they were three very distinct weeks in which our team had some different struggles and some similar ones.

this week we can expect similar crap rucking but the healthiest deepest mid rotation for a long time and improved forward function.

hopefully no drop off in pressure

In relation to the above, listened to Hinkley and Leppitch on the radio yesterday. Clearly Hinks values Voss and Montgomery a lot and Leppitch had heaps to offer Richmond. Those sorts of senior voices are a big hole and I think would go along way to setting a broader tone beyond the positive stuff Bevo has to offer.
Yep. Listen to Sydney talk up Pyke’s influence this year. I strongly believe we need some new voices and new insights around Bevo (this isn’t me writing us off today/this year either)

We'll see this afternoon won't we?
No we won’t. If the boys come out and kicks some ass today, it won’t be because we have managed the last three weeks well and are developing the right finals culture.

It will be because we have a super talented list who as a playing group have recognized the criticism is valid and have decided to answer it.

They will deserve a lot of credit because they will have done it handicapped by poor selection and poor team management leading into the finals.

That’s a way of looking at it

first week was the first poor clearance performance for a while but overall won general play. No Keath meant dysfunctional defence. Bruce injured at end of game

Next game. Solid defence but still bad clearances. Awful ruck play and no forward function with Bruce gone

Next game. Great defence. Great pressure. Solid ground ball attack but poor clearances due to another game of poor ruck. Forward function was improved but that port defence was superb.

they were three very distinct weeks in which our team had some different struggles and some similar ones.

this week we can expect similar crap rucking but the healthiest deepest mid rotation for a long time and improved forward function.

hopefully no drop off in pressure
What’s missing in your review is the way we responded to each of those developments, selection and structure wise. Instead of sticking with what has worked all year, we thought we would get creative and throw the whole team off balance.

Despite those injuries we had the personnel to cover them and stick to the winning formula, instead we changed everything going into a finals campaign, missed top four and lost our mojo all at the same time. Meanwhile playing a number of players who do not deserve a spot in the squad, while leaving out others that do.

Contrast it with the Truck/Heppell interview and you'll see a stark difference.

CvBLzBBUkAEwLkI.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back