Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Today is a day of reflection .....a day to savor, after being lambasted for being visionairies .....and as you know visionairies are often misunderstood and ostrasized for their non-group thinking

Yes Laird won a AA as a DEF ..... but Stiffy_18 and myself were calling for a move to the midfield way back in 2015/16

Laird was better than Brouch when playing at West Adelaide .....a natural ball finder in the Matt Crouch mould

A huge congratulations to lairdy ....and I can see Laird as part of the Crows next premiership, as a Midfielder

Also a huge result for Ned McHenry :whitecheck:.....fantastic fillip for the lads career

Last edited:

We do seem to reward team first actions in the BNF under Nicks. Kelly certainly does this to a good degree.

Just a shame he's a pretty mediocre footballer.

Nicks brought with him a different voting system. Playing your role is now purely aligned with impact on the game. So a wildly unlikely hypothetical. If Fog's role was to lead to the pocket at every opportunity and he did that to an elite level, then the voting system deems him to have had an elite impact on team performance. Even if not a single lead was honoured. So he gets maximum votes.

I always thought, when Simon Goodwin was club captain he was boring to listen to, but Rory Sloane is 10 times worse. He can not string a sentence together without stopping.

His speech tonight was massively cringeworthy. I stopped listening as I lost interest in what he was saying. I’m not sure I even believed a single word he said.

Great player, but he should not speak on behalf of the club ever again.

Did he tell us again that Chappy was the protector and godfather of the footy club? Or has he moved on to other demented ramblings?

Excellent year as an inside mid. Underrated on here imo.

I don't think he is. Apart from Cummings recent rankings, almost all posters rate each of our 3 primary mids quite fairly. 4 including Crouch. The issue is what they become as a group. If you ranked them out of 10 individually they would accumulate say 32 points. But if you ranked a midfield group out of 40, that would be a smaller number. There's only 1 (Keays) that runs hard with the ball but he then reduces that impact with average decision making and inability to hit up targets. So we have 3 inside mids and a hybrid that can only clock efficient disposals by kicking to contests.

Individually they'd get a gig in most other midfields. As a group they suck balls.

Nicks brought with him a different voting system. Playing your role is now purely aligned with impact on the game. So a wildly unlikely hypothetical. If Fog's role was to lead to the pocket at every opportunity and he did that to an elite level, then the voting system deems him to have had an elite impact on team performance. Even if not a single lead was honoured. So he gets maximum votes.
So you're telling me Charlie Dixon would get 10s if he had zero touch games and just brought it to the ground for the smalls, while might get 7s if he actually clunks a mark and kicks a couple of goals

So you're telling me Charlie Dixon would get 10s if he had zero touch games and just brought it to the ground for the smalls, while might get 7s if he actually clunks a mark and kicks a couple of goals

Depends the task assigned. But, if his role is to create a target and he does that to an elite level, there's no extra votes for slotting 6 as compared to 0 or executing 10 forward 50 tackles. Our previous system gave 2 for doing your job and then added for further impact on the game, defensively and/or offensively. Now there's pure alignment regardless of game impact. Argument as to right or wrong is up for grabs, that it's vastly different since Nicks' arrival is not. They made a point of it last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by Rory . Very close in the voting. Three of vote getters in the top 10 surprised me. Smith, Sloane and Kelly mainly on how high the votes were. Seedsman and Keays thoroughly deserved their posits. Anyone know how MacKay polled?

Did he tell us again that Chappy was the protector and godfather of the footy club? Or has he moved on to other demented ramblings?
Far out… remind me again why you support Adelaide? Because surely there’s not one single thing you like about us.

Far out… remind me again why you support Adelaide? Because surely there’s not one single thing you like about us.

Chapman hasn't been gone 12 months yet but we already seem like a better club.

Fagan gone, Smart gone, baseball team gone, decent football department appointments, etc.

Liked seeing the AFLW club champions presented with their gold jackets also. It's things like that that add to our authenticity as a club.

No idea.

Stopped listening to his speech after he started discussing his 4th idea in about 30 seconds. Just random rambling became cringeworthy.

Great player. Horrible public speaker

Laird shows how important it is even for good, established players to be challenged.

He was a very good half back but was stagnating there. His last season or so down back was poor. A fresh challenge in the midfield has motivated him to go to another level and he's responded.

Compare that to other long term players who have been left in the one position / one role for too long. Smith for example has stagnated, Sloane certainly has.

It doesn't even need to be a change of position. Simply a challenge to widen their circle of influence.

Eg Luke Brown, very solid lockdown defender. Could he have been challenged to get more of the ball, increase No of intercepts, increase I50 entries, hit scoreboard, tag a midfielder?

"I'm just trying to play my role" is a career death knell in terms of improvement, development and progress. It's been our catch cry but hopefully after seeing Laird add strings to his bow mid-career we're open to more player growth opportunities.

"I'm just trying to play my role" is a career death knell in terms of improvement, development and progress. It's been our catch cry but hopefully after seeing Laird add strings to his bow mid-career we're open to more player growth opportunities.

I mean you say that but let's be honest, we just voted career "I'm just playing my role" Jake Kelly into the top 10 at the B&F so we still highly value it

I mean you say that but let's be honest, we just voted career "I'm just playing my role" Jake Kelly into the top 10 at the B&F so we still highly value it
Kelly this year is an example of us doing things right

He's gone from playing on the opposition's youngest, least dangerous, most fringe 22 forward and being gifted an easy, useless passenger role to this season playing on the likes of Petracca, Martin, Greene.

I still want him traded mind you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back