Autopsy AFL 2021 Finals Week 1 - EF1 Dogs v Bombers Sun August 29th 3:30pm EST (Uni of Tas)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I dislike Essendon as much as anyone else, but some of the vicarious gloating from opposition supporters is a bit rich.

Most predicted Dons to be bottom 4-6 this year. Getting bundled out of finals is disappointing, but I think most would have to agree they performed better than expected in 2021.

It how we bundled out that’s made me furious if we lost by 2-3 goal ls I would be fine

Haven’t read the thread, but presumably a 49 point win with your opponents scoring no goals in the second half was solely down to umpiring.

Anyway, just came here to say that was an impressive season from Essendon and if the game had been dry it’s very possible the result would’ve been different.

Not sure how much we’ve improved since the last few weeks but worked hard and ground out a good win there. Bring on the lions.

Umps did their best to keep Essendon in it.

I'm amazed a forward line of Schache, English and Naughton beat a top 8 side.
Let alone a side with Lewis Young rucking.
Won’t hold up against a decent side. McInerny will have give the worst ruckman in history a bath next week.

Who was the last team to scrape into 8th spot on 11 wins, pre-Covid?

Wonder how the Bombers are going to back up now the honeymoon period is over and they still don’t have a capable forwardline.

Interesting times ahead.

Let's say the shoe was on the other foot and Waterman from Ess got 4 cheap frees that lead to 4 free goals, would Dogs be able to peg back the lead? Highly unlikely as the momentum of the game would've completely shifted. Thats what happened in this game.

I'm glad Melbourne chose Pickett over Weightman in the draft. Pickett gets 4's from the diving judges. Weightman is straight 10's.

Its is just me or is Cody Weightman trying to become the most disliked player in the AFL?
More like top 5 small forwards in the comp. Future is bright with him, marra, naughty and #2 pick Sam Darcy roaming the forward line getting fed by the best midfield in the comp

You're correct. The most damaging aspect is coming out of the back half is a bit harder without McStay & Hipwood roaming up to the wing for the contested footy in the air. We saw it last night without McStay, everytime we went to the boundary we had no contests in the air.

Once we get it into the forward line we still have Charlie, Linc & Joe to do damage. So as long as our midfield can get on top, I'm still confident we can kick a winning score.
If you can win the midfield and just keep the ball coming in it will be much harder for the Dogs but some of their big names stood up especially in the second half.

Bont got amongst it in the second qtr today and Treloar came out in the second half. The other noticeable thing was the Dogs played much more like their earlier form in the year as the game went on. That was missing last week against Port despite being in front all day. The Dogs might be getting the Hulk Hogan shakes after looking down and out.

Shaping up to be a cracker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the last team to scrape into 8th spot on 11 wins, pre-Covid?

Wonder how the Bombers are going to back up now the honeymoon period is over and they still don’t have a capable forwardline.

Interesting times ahead.

Harrison Jones and Tippa didn't play.
Have a bit to work with and few prospects plus draft picks so our fwd line should be okay.

Won’t hold up against a decent side. McInerny will have give the worst ruckman in history a bath next week.
1. As usual, thanks for the Melbourne concern. Nothing surer.

2. McInerney is a spud himself

3. No guarantee we go in with the same players

4. Worry about your own side

Good win for the Bulldogs, looking a good chance against the Lions next week. Good luck!

Disappointing for Essendon, and the umpiring was crap, but I think there is a lot of upside to their year all in all. Notable improvement and something to build on.
I'll leave it to the Dons fans to say what they need going forward.

Let's say the shoe was on the other foot and Waterman from Ess got 4 cheap frees that lead to 4 free goals, would Dogs be able to peg back the lead? Highly unlikely as the momentum of the game would've completely shifted. Thats what happened in this game.

I'm glad Melbourne chose Pickett over Weightman in the draft. Pickett gets 4's from the diving judges. Weightman is straight 10's.
Hopefully we will get to see them both
On the big day in Perth

More like top 5 small forwards in the comp. Future is bright with him, marra, naughty and #2 pick Sam Darcy roaming the forward line getting fed by the best midfield in the comp
If you had the best midfield in the comp you’s would of been playing the Dees in Adelaide this weekend gone. On paper they are the best but in reality they aren’t it at the moment.

Back