Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Talia is 31 next year why do we want him
Don't pretend that we'd sign Talia to a 10 year contract your highness.
Proven defender at the level, but has had injuries ..can't we at least ask.

31..how old is Buddy? On a 10 year contract..

Has Hickey had any injuries?

Don't pretend that we'd sign Talia to a 10 year contract your highness.
Proven defender at the level, but has had injuries ..can't we at least ask.

31..how old is Buddy? On a 10 year contract..

Has Hickey had any injuries?

But buddy isn’t on 10 years from now , he has 1

He was all Australian squad this year , what was talia

Look I guess if he was cheap as chips minimum for a year you go for it

Seems unlikely

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Leo Barry was almost 20 years ago now.
Fwds have got taller. King twins, Dixon, Ben Brown all 200cm +.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't care how old Talia is. He has the turning circle of the Queen Mary.
He's cooked.
Might as well recruit Phil Davis.

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
Disappointed with the result, but not with the way we played.

Considering we were missing Mills, JPK and Blakely and we had an inexperienced midfield (and underdone Warner) that broke even against a GWS midfield mostly still in their prime, I am happy with that.

We had our chances to win but 2.7 doesn’t cut it unfortunately.

At the start of the year, i thought that we would be in the 9-13th range so it was never going to be our year but Im very happy with the year we had.

To be honest, it’s a
Melbourne v Port GF, the rest are making up the numbers.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
199cm,, 102kg,, 21yo next month.. - fits the profile.
Never seen him play, was delisted by the Cats, but is getting some very good write ups. If hes as good as the journos are saying then there'll be a few clubs into him.
Would likely be cheap - picks and $$, maybe theres a reason he'd be cheap?

I don’t know anything about him but it’s the one are we need to improve on.

Mccartin surprised me this year at his rate of improvement, but even he is a little to short to play on those giant forwards.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't be immature Bruce. Keep the talk to his footy ability. No need to bring his appearance into it. I think he'd fill a need for us right away. Sign him up and get this party started.

Nothing immature about it. It's about taking yourself seriously. There's a strong correlation in my observation between players cutting out the hairdo rubbish and making their mark on the game.

Interestingly, that ridiculous do appears to have been before his delisting by the Cats.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
But if anyone could find a cure for the goalkicking yips they'd be a billionaire.
Hours and hours of training. Running at the target rather than going off to the side and trying to hook the ball back. This would help.
Tell the sports scientists to GAGF. We don't care what their time on the training track is. Learning how to kick accurately is more important than anything else.

Last edited:
We need a defender to take on the new age 200cm forward
They way these run and jump forward play, we need a defender with the kahunas to stand in the space.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
They way these run and jump forward play, we need a defender with the kahunas to stand in the space.

It’s not an easy solution to find. Generally these guys are athletic freaks, more often than not these freaks are played in attacking roles because of the advantages they have. We just need to find the athletic freak that’s happy to be played as a lockdown defender

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
To be honest, it’s a
Melbourne v Port GF, the rest are making up the numbers.
Recent history (and further back for Port) says these two are quite capable of fluffing their lines in a Prelim. Finals are not always cut and dried, except that it's pretty much always Top 4 sides that make GFs and win it. Port beat the Cats in a QF last year, but couldn't get past Richmond in a home Prelim, Richmond having lost to the Lions in the QF, who were then taken out by the Cats, who Richmond went on to beat in the GF.

It’s not an easy solution to find. Generally these guys are athletic freaks, more often than not these freaks are played in attacking roles because of the advantages they have. We just need to find the athletic freak that’s happy to be played as a lockdown defender
If we could only figure out how the other teams get away with all the holding and scragging in the forward line we might have a chance. In the fair dinkum department, I think the best defenders for these tall forwards are the ones who love the body on body stuff, the tall lanky types generally don't respond too well with the close defender, even if they are giving away a little bit of height. Otherwise its the Darcy Moore type. He would be a very welcome addition. As you say, they are not easy to find.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If we could only figure out how the other teams get away with all the holding and scragging in the forward line we might have a chance. In the fair dinkum department, I think the best defenders for these tall forwards are the ones who love the body on body stuff, the tall lanky types generally don't respond too well with the close defender, even if they are giving away a little bit of height. Otherwise its the Darcy Moore type. He would be a very welcome addition. As you say, they are not easy to find.

Other teams get away with it because they don’t have buddy Franklin in their forward line, plus the AFL love uncovering new stars, not that they would ever instruct umpires to umpire any players different to others .

Buddy does try to do too much sometimes, but pay attention to how fast they call him holding the ball, they nearly choke on the whistle getting it to their mouth

Melican has been a frustrating player to me

But I thought he was actually not bad on Saturday

Bit surprised he’s copped a bit , when he has gotten a pass for worse efforts

If the balls flying in not much he can do

He was excellent in the last , made a dumb decision late I guess

Look is he going to be a star? No, but there’s something workable there imo , in a difficult to fill spot which helps

It's a shame that there are no further games as I believe a game like he had was signs of improvement. He had that game against Collingwood back a while where he made a few errors late in the game, most notably a quick quick out that went wrong. He copped his whack but actually played great footy after that match until another injury setback. He needs a good block of injury free footy to see his best. Agree that he wasn't bad on Saturday and if anything was just needing a match up change with McCartin as Hogan can show up any defender when he's on.

I still picture buddy marking it off Hickey 2 :30 ish left and thinking game over we win

I was the other way, After seeing so many missed opportunities I knew he was going to miss. Was in full glass half empty mode by that stage. Maybe preparing myself for the worst as I'm a miserable sod after a finals loss.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
It's a shame that there are no further games as I believe a game like he had was signs of improvement. He had that game against Collingwood back a while where he made a few errors late in the game, most notably a quick quick out that went wrong. He copped his whack but actually played great footy after that match until another injury setback. He needs a good block of injury free footy to see his best. Agree that he wasn't bad on Saturday and if anything was just needing a match up change with McCartin as Hogan can show up any defender when he's on.
DID ANYONE NOTICE THE BLOCKING , THE MAGGOTS DIDN'T

DID ANYONE NOTICE THE BLOCKING , THE MAGGOTS DIDN'T

I have noticed you pulling your hair out over it with frustration. I guess the one that really needed to notice was the forward coach and get some action around not allowing that to happen so easily with our own blocking or go nuts at the ump after one of them so they are put on notice (I feel like Stevic only paid the free to Green at the end because Green bumped him at the end of the quarter and wanted to show he doesn't hold grudges against players).

As much as the maggots (And I voiced my concern over that trio before the match) were ignoring the tactic we had to try and address that as a group somehow. Not an easy thing to do when the umps aren't doing their job with three of them watching.

Back