Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, & the economics are far better with our own team, so investment becomes worth while.

UTas needs an upgrade no matter what. Launceston wants a lot of Gov money to do this, TasUni building. the Cultural centre, the Tamar river works, etc etc etc.

Bellerive may get some work done too, at some stage Especially to fill in the gap between the members & the little north stand, Maybe behind or over some of the hill area.

If you just want footy to be moved back to Launceston like when we had the failed political policy of footy in the North & cricket in the South, just say so. You seem to be pushing for it.

I think that policy was good for Launceston's economy but did a lot of damage in the grass roots of football in the south & cricket in the north. Think about that.
I definitely don't want AFL to just be up here in the north, having games in both sides of the state is definitely the way it needs to be and wouldn't work with Launceston being the base.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
WA3 may just result out of circumstance. Bottom line, I don't think its truly necessary, but would solidify WA/Perth as being the second largest market in the AFL.
Would provide some flexibility with the TV fixture for some Sunday night games in the west too.

Joondalup would steal a few fans from West Coast, particularly those that are old school West Perth fans, but I reckon it would take a generation before it builds a consistent following. Might have to bring out the tarps at Optus Stadium during the lean years.
There is no way a third side would survive in WA, The AFL has already killed the game in some aspects by having a player pool diluting 18 club operation, with rules mangle and changed to suit a fast but much less skillful hard sport we were used to.

We now have the SUNS a complete failure after several years, what should happen? Aaah but the "CCP" of the AFL will never let this happen = that is , the GC17 liscence to Tamania NOW!!!!

If you really want to kill teams in the AFL in WA, and will further damage the WAFL standard,it is a little City, the population like the rest of AUSTRALIA struggled with cellar dwellars with only 16 teams. 18 HAS DEGRADED THE SPORT!

The AFL needs to be over hauled at the top, we have got these 2 new things involved now I suppose we must keep them so do NOT MAKE A 19TH LISCENCE IT IS MADNESS , LIKE THE STANDARD OF AFLW WILL ROT AWAY AS THEY MAKE TOO MANY TEAMS FOR THE ELITE DIVISION. THE NUMBERS WILL NOT ADD UP, AND THE TV RIGHTS WILL DIE WITH IT, IF THEY LET THAT HAPPEN. Like what has happened to the AFL THE MENS GAME HAS BEEN FIDDLED FOR TOO LONG FOR TV MONEY TO A POINT IT IS BARELY RECOGNISABLE AND THE UMPIRING WHICH IS THE TOOL HOCKING AND THE AFL USE TO WARP IT IS THE NEW RULES!

We don't have the population in Australia to go another stretch and have 19 clubs , what is the sense in it anyway. If you ask yourself that question, seriously why have the AFL diluted the sport to such a degree that the playing skills are lost , too fast too many non handballs, too fast , too many injuries, too fast kicking skills and mindset for confidence go out the window for some! Well its for money of course, more and more and more money, while real knowledgable fans sit back frustrated, they should the AFL , be condemned!
This is what the AFL have done to Australian Rules Football, and here we go???
We see people want another AFL elite senior football team no 19, numbers and dollar signs are fine until you pollute your pool with numbers with those just under the mark, that you cannot hold standard with all teams levelling off, maybe thats why the fiddled rules have been introduced to give some who just can't make it look better.
The rolling mauls in our game the over and over events of ballups , it doesn't flow very often and the packs are an abomination on how our game used to look! If you can't see it , your blind , SEee some of the really good players today imagine every week about 12 to 16 at the most clubs would release onto the fields and imagine the standard, you who don't care or are a bit easily satisfied , I know lots who don't watch any more.

NO WAY that 19 clubs should be ok'd!

Tasmania gets GC's liscence now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The AFL leadership and dollar sign people are reviewed fully, I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT!
Just like Carlton and their devastating sacking of a blameless person, at least if the AFL hiararchy were reviewed you have genuine people there who needed SACKING!
Maybe hanging too, for the murder of Aussie Rules!

AND STOP PRAISING AFL FOR RUNNING AROUND ORGANISING COVID SAFE ARENAS, THATS FINE! BUT ANY BODY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT, THEY ARE STILL ON GIANT SALARIES, & PRIVILEGED TO THE HILT. WHILE THEY LET HOCKING LOOSE ON THE GAME!
ITS A BIT LIKE THE 19TH TEAM IN WA, THEIR PREMIER OF THE MOST ISOLATED STATE IN AUSTRALIA AND PROBABLY THE WORLD RECKONS HE SAVED WA FROM COVID19 WELL A DROVERS DOG COULD HAVE ISOLATED ALREADY ISOLATED CITIES!

NO 19TH LISCENCE! ANYWHERE!

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
We now have the SUNS a complete failure after several years, what should happen? Aaah but the "CCP" of the AFL will never let this happen = that is , the GC17 liscence to Tamania NOW!!!!

It's never going to happen. I don't know why people keep arguing as if it is a realistic alternative.

We don't have the population in Australia to go another stretch and have 19 clubs , what is the sense in it anyway.

The "dilution of talent" argument to argue against a 19th team is inane.

You'd think with Australia's population projected to have an extra 14 million people by 2050 there would be surely be at least another 80 players of a talent commensurate with that of current existing AFL talent to fill two extra teams.

There would be commensurate AFL talent in 2021 to that of 1996, even though we have two extra teams. Australia's population in 1996 was about 18.3 million. By the end of 2021 Australia's population will reach approximately 26 million. That's an extra 7.7 million people...about 3.8 million males making up a larger talent pool to draw from. Adding two further teams between 1996-2020 has meant the addition of another 80-84 players from that pool into the AFL system.

50-70 million population in the second half of the 21st century will definitely mean that the talent will be commensurate to the talent now available with about 25-26 million population, if say two-four extra teams are added.

Nov 18, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Richmond
There is no way a third side would survive in WA, The AFL has already killed the game in some aspects by having a player pool diluting 18 club operation, with rules mangle and changed to suit a fast but much less skillful hard sport we were used to.

If you really want to kill teams in the AFL in WA, and will further damage the WAFL standard,it is a little City, the population like the rest of AUSTRALIA struggled with cellar dwellars with only 16 teams. 18 HAS DEGRADED THE SPORT!

The AFL needs to be over hauled at the top, we have got these 2 new things involved now I suppose we must keep them so do NOT MAKE A 19TH LISCENCE IT IS MADNESS , LIKE THE STANDARD OF AFLW WILL ROT AWAY AS THEY MAKE TOO MANY TEAMS FOR THE ELITE DIVISION. THE NUMBERS WILL NOT ADD UP, AND THE TV RIGHTS WILL DIE WITH IT, IF THEY LET THAT HAPPEN. Like what has happened to the AFL THE MENS GAME HAS BEEN FIDDLED FOR TOO LONG FOR TV MONEY TO A POINT IT IS BARELY RECOGNISABLE AND THE UMPIRING WHICH IS THE TOOL HOCKING AND THE AFL USE TO WARP IT IS THE NEW RULES!

We don't have the population in Australia to go another stretch and have 19 clubs , what is the sense in it anyway. If you ask yourself that question, seriously why have the AFL diluted the sport to such a degree that the playing skills are lost , too fast too many non handballs, too fast , too many injuries, too fast kicking skills and mindset for confidence go out the window for some! Well its for money of course, more and more and more money, while real knowledgable fans sit back frustrated, they should the AFL , be condemned!
We see people want another AFL elite senior football team no 19, numbers and dollar signs are fine until you pollute your pool with numbers with those just under the mark, that you cannot hold standard with all teams levelling off, maybe thats why the fiddled rules have been introduced to give some who just can't make it look better.
The rolling mauls in our game the over and over events of ballups , it doesn't flow very often and the packs are an abomination on how our game used to look! If you can't see it , your blind , SEee some of the really good players today imagine every week about 12 to 16 at the most clubs would release onto the fields and imagine the standard, you who don't care or are a bit easily satisfied , I know lots who don't watch any more.

The AFL leadership and dollar sign people are reviewed fully, I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT!
Just like Carlton and their devastating sacking of a blameless person, at least if the AFL hiararchy were reviewed you have genuine people there who needed SACKING!

AND STOP PRAISING AFL FOR RUNNING AROUND ORGANISING COVID SAFE ARENAS, THATS FINE! BUT ANY BODY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT, THEY ARE STILL ON GIANT SALARIES, & PRIVILEGED TO THE HILT. WHILE THEY LET HOCKING LOOSE ON THE GAME!
ITS A BIT LIKE THE 19TH TEAM IN WA, THEIR PREMIER OF THE MOST ISOLATED STATE IN AUSTRALIA AND PROBABLY THE WORLD RECKONS HE SAVED WA FROM COVID19 WELL A DROVERS DOG COULD HAVE ISOLATED ALREADY ISOLATED CITIES!

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

I think the AFL thought they were on a sure fire winner at the Gold Coast. With all those Victorian expats (refugees from Dan-istan), and the burgeoning SE QLD population/economy.
But footy is about more than population demographics and financial balance sheets. It's about heart and soul.

The Gold Coast is the graveyard of sports franchises. The question is, how many more $Millions is AFL House prepared to blow before they wake up, and admit defeat?
Those dollars should be re-invested into footy heartland, and an 18-team comp, with the 'Tassie Devils', playing in the bottle green, yellow and red.

I don't care where they're based in the state, that's for Tasmanians to decide

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the AFL thought they were on a sure fire winner at the Gold Coast. With all those Victorian expats (refugees from Dan-istan), and the burgeoning SE QLD population/economy.
But footy is about more than population demographics and financial balance sheets. It's about heart and soul.

The Gold Coast is the graveyard of sports franchises. The question is, how many more $Millions is AFL House prepared to blow before they wake up, and admit defeat?
Those dollars should be re-invested into footy heartland, and an 18-team comp, with the 'Tassie Devils', playing in the bottle green, yellow and red.

I agree with your comment that it's about heart and soul, that's why tassie will be great. I reckon they will have some of the most passionate fans in the comp which is what the comp needs to balance out the expansion sides and fans lack of care for them.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Gold Coast and GWS were both always 30-40 year investments. GC for me was always going to be the one to start stronger but struggle for support once the ex-pats got over being able to see footy again and started picking and choosing games more. GWS has the much bigger territory but starting off with no base was always going to be a gradual thing. And both highly susceptible to off field setbacks when onfield wasn't going their way. (I do think Canberra, while reducing losses for now, slows GWS growth in their actual western Sydney area and is a medium term mistake.)

I doubt anyone at AFL HQ is highly surprised with either club's off field situation, but would surely have expected GC to have more success on field with their start-up players.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tasmania gets GC's liscence NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do NOT MAKE A 19TH LISCENCE IT IS MADNESS , LIKE THE STANDARD OF AFLW WILL ROT AWAY AS THEY MAKE TOO MANY TEAMS FOR THE ELITE DIVISION. THE NUMBERS WILL NOT ADD UP, AND THE TV RIGHTS WILL DIE WITH IT, IF THEY LET THAT HAPPEN. Like what has happened to the AFL THE MENS GAME HAS BEEN FIDDLED FOR TOO LONG FOR TV MONEY TO A POINT IT IS BARELY RECOGNISABLE AND THE UMPIRING WHICH IS THE TOOL HOCKING AND THE AFL USE TO WARP IT IS THE NEW RULES!

STOP PRAISING AFL FOR RUNNING AROUND ORGANISING COVID SAFE ARENAS, THATS FINE! BUT ANY BODY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT, THEY ARE STILL ON GIANT SALARIES, & PRIVILEGED TO THE HILT. WHILE THEY LET HOCKING LOOSE ON THE GAME!

2IDKlH.gif

Always come in here to see how many want my club to fold, strong numbers today.
I'm not one of them. I don't want to see them relocated or merged either.

Having said that, I would like your chairman to focus on fixing his club rather than talking down a 19th side (ie Tassie).

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
In regards to stadiums for a Tasmanian team, specifically in regards to York Park. It would be beneficial to turn it 90 degrees so it would be a good venue to host BBL and other cricket events.

York Park, unlike Bellerive is in a good location.

Cricket must have a north-south pitch. The media for footy is on the wings. But for cricket is behind the wickets. The preferred seating location for spectators is in the same location.

So you only need one media facility like at the MCG and at Optus, the footy field should run east-west with the cricket pitch running north-south. This reduces design and operating costs by not duplicating facilities.

This orientation also allows bigger stands on the wings, with spectators in the prime viewing position for both sports.

So if you keep the Gunns Stand, but turn the oval, and build a new stand for the length of the northern side, it means you can get better use out of the stadium, and make it more viable.

7af22431bd61a366535b7745ee67f7cd.jpg

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Crowd of 8765 for Sydney vs GWS in Launceston today,I was surprised because it definitely looked a lot more than three games this season in Launceston that had 9000 odd.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Former Bulldogs coach Rodney Ease has said that Hobart must get a new stadium for AFL because Blundstone Arena is in A bad location and would not work. I believe the AFL will make it an entry requirement that Hobart must get a new stadium or no team for Tasmania. I think what happens with stadiums in Tasmania will play a very big part on whether tasmania gets a team or not.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Former Bulldogs coach Rodney Ease has said that Hobart must get a new stadium for AFL because Blundstone Arena is in A bad location and would not work. I believe the AFL will make it an entry requirement that Hobart must get a new stadium or no team for Tasmania. I think what happens with stadiums in Tasmania will play a very big part on whether tasmania gets a team or not.
Push comes to shove the government would do it if it meant the difference between getting a team or not . they forked out 80 million to redevelopment the entertainment centre for nbl . Being a liberal state and federal government I couldn’t see funding being a problem

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Push comes to shove the government would do it if it meant the difference between getting a team or not . they forked out 80 million to redevelopment the entertainment centre for nbl . Being a liberal state and federal government I couldn’t see funding being a problem
What sort of money do you think would be required?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
$500 million.
Marvel cost $460 when being made so adjusting for inflation, cost of building in Tasmania and reduced capacity that would be my estimate.
Ok thankyou for that,I would love to see a new stadium down in the capital and would really enjoy my trips south if we get our own team but if that doesn't happen I'm happy to stick with Blundstone.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
$500 million.
Marvel cost $460 when being made so adjusting for inflation, cost of building in Tasmania and reduced capacity that would be my estimate.
No need for it to be that much ... Docklands has a retractable roof and an under stadium car park that made it expensive. As Hobart is Australia's second driest state capital, just behind Adelaide, no roof is required as it doesn't rain all that much (contrary to what many wrongly believe).

Last edited:
No need for it to be that much ... Docklands has a retractable roof and an under stadium car park that mad enough it expensive. As Hobart is Australia's second driest state capital, just behind Adelaide, no roof is required as it doesn't rain much (contrary to what many wrongly believe).

Is that actually true? I thought it was the case that Hobart ranks second last in terms of rainfall, but ranks quite high in terms of rainy days.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, as I recall Hobart gets a lot of days with light drizzle. Usually very light, and not long lasting. So, a "rainy day" or at least "day with rain" but barely a millimetre on many of those.
An enclosed stadium would be for wind-proofing more than rain-proofing, if anywhere near the river.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, as I recall Hobart gets a lot of days with light drizzle. Usually very light, and not long lasting. So, a "rainy day" or at least "day with rain" but barely a millimetre on many of those.
An enclosed stadium would be for wind-proofing more than rain-proofing, if anywhere near the river.
I don't think they will be building it by the river at Macquarie Point because all the plans have already been drawn up for that site and it doesn't include a stadium so it will most likely be out Glenorchy somewhere.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think they will be building it by the river at Macquarie Point because all the plans have already been drawn up for that site and it doesn't include a stadium so it will most likely be out Glenorchy somewhere.
If they do another build, KG5 makes the most sense anyway (at least for footy) IMO. The parking is there, even if shuttle buses are used where needed from the showgrounds, Elwick and DEC parking. Access from the rest of the state is easier. Maybe, eventually the chance of a tram line to/from the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back