Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If they do another build, KG5 makes the most sense anyway (at least for footy) IMO. The parking is there, even if shuttle buses are used where needed from the showgrounds, Elwick and DEC parking. Access from the rest of the state is easier. Maybe, eventually the chance of a tram line to/from the city.
That definitely sounds like the ideal plan and I would love to come to Hobart from Scottsdale once a month to see our own AFL team at a New Stadium.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Always come in here to see how many want my club to fold, strong numbers today.
I don’t want you to fold. If anyone should fold it’s St Kilda for monetary purposes. Got a question though, do Gold Coast sell a game to say any of Rockhampton, Townsville and Cairns every year? If not, why not? I think if that was permanent thing and your other 8 games at Metricon give it a while and the Suns are more appealing to new fans in QLD than Broncos lite Lions. You already seem more appealing up North but really solidify it

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Push comes to shove the government would do it if it meant the difference between getting a team or not . they forked out 80 million to redevelopment the entertainment centre for nbl . Being a liberal state and federal government I couldn’t see funding being a problem
They would want the money back in rental i would have thought though or an expensive long term lease

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
Yeah, as I recall Hobart gets a lot of days with light drizzle. Usually very light, and not long lasting. So, a "rainy day" or at least "day with rain" but barely a millimetre on many of those.
An enclosed stadium would be for wind-proofing more than rain-proofing, if anywhere near the river.
Yup. It often drizzles here. Heavy rain is rare. I lived in Victoria and felt as though it rained just as often and it was much heavier. No doubt the Hobart wind is an issue for the AFL.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yup. It often drizzles here. Heavy rain is rare. I lived in Victoria and felt as though it rained just as often and it was much heavier. No doubt the Hobart wind is an issue for the AFL.
Blundstone is located right next to the Derwent so it's no surprise it gets windy regularly but I can tell you after spending time in both Wellington and Hobart the former is definitely a lot windier city.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
In regards to stadiums for a Tasmanian team, specifically in regards to York Park. It would be beneficial to turn it 90 degrees so it would be a good venue to host BBL and other cricket events.

This early report (2007) into the development of Perth Stadium explains the benefits of turning York Park by 90 degrees.

IMG_6006.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I personally would look at ways of making Bellerive oval work before building a new ground. Building a ferry service/ jetty right outside makes perfect sense and would be far cheaper. A thought I've had is that Hobart should bid to host a Commonwealth Games. This would definitely require a new stadium and would be a great catalyst to do so.
I also have trepidation around building to big a stadium for Hobart. I grew up going to football in Perth and I know that Melbourne (obviously) and SA have that 'attendance culture' which I'm not totally convinced exists in Hobart. Since I've lived here attendances have been good but not great. No sport is ever sold out, be it international cricket/AFL/whatever. Just some of my rambling thoughts.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I personally would look at ways of making Bellerive oval work before building a new ground. Building a ferry service/ jetty right outside makes perfect sense and would be far cheaper. A thought I've had is that Hobart should bid to host a Commonwealth Games. This would definitely require a new stadium and would be a great catalyst to do so.
I also have trepidation around building to big a stadium for Hobart. I grew up going to football in Perth and I know that Melbourne (obviously) and SA have that 'attendance culture' which I'm not totally convinced exists in Hobart. Since I've lived here attendances have been good but not great. No sport is ever sold out, be it international cricket/AFL/whatever. Just some of my rambling thoughts.
A lot of the big bash matches were sell outs in Hobart and Hobart has also had a fair few AFL games that have sold out.

Oct 23, 2006
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chi Bulls, LV Raiders
Bicco - I don't think you can develop around Bellerive to be big enough thanks to the housing and lack of parking etc.

Church street doesn't help and the houses across the road (unless you could buy them all up), the other side being the park to the beach is too close to the water etc.

Give Tassie their own side (not a recast North) and the fans will attend.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Definitely not saying they haven't been, but I've been here 6 years and I don't recall too many sellouts.
Has been a few in the last six years but the big bash crowds have declined nationally and Tassie's interest in the FIFO teams has definitely declined,I think most people just want their own AFL team to support.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bicco - I don't think you can develop around Bellerive to be big enough thanks to the housing and lack of parking etc.

Church street doesn't help and the houses across the road (unless you could buy them all up), the other side being the park to the beach is too close to the water etc.

Give Tassie their own side (not a recast North) and the fans will attend.
I think we are stuck with Blundstone for a good amount of time considering recent money put in to it.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I think we are stuck with Blundstone for a good amount of time considering recent money put in to it.
$30m spent in 2013/14, $5m on lights in 2009. Not huge dollars. By 2027, the newest part of the stadium will be 13 years old, and most much older.
Cricket may remain at Bellerive for some time, as the practice setup there is excellent.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I don’t want you to fold. If anyone should fold it’s St Kilda for monetary purposes. Got a question though, do Gold Coast sell a game to say any of Rockhampton, Townsville and Cairns every year? If not, why not? I think if that was permanent thing and your other 8 games at Metricon give it a while and the Suns are more appealing to new fans in QLD than Broncos lite Lions. You already seem more appealing up North but really solidify it
GC should change their name to Queensland Suns and play games in Cairns and Sunshine Coast each year and rotate through Townsville and Mackay, who already have decent oval stadiums. Eight games @ Metricon mainly v Vic clubs.

Mar 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Why not put a team in Tasmania and Northern Territory and then all states and territories will have a team except for act but they can support gws or Sydney 20 teams is the perfect number and then it can truly be an Aussie football league

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why not put a team in Tasmania and Northern Territory ... and then it can truly be an Aussie football league
Because (for about the 100th time on BF), there's no way the NT can even remotely support a team. Their population and economy is far too small. You don't (and realistically can't) have to have a major professional team in every single part of the country.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why not put a team in Tasmania and Northern Territory and then all states and territories will have a team except for act but they can support gws or Sydney 20 teams is the perfect number and then it can truly be an Aussie football league

Canberra needs more games, and we're not going to get them as a secondary homeground. GWS already play too few games in Sydney, there's no more to take.

Canberra has already has proved we're a move viable candidate than Darwin. We have triple Darwin's population, and we already host three times as many (pre-Covid) AFL games a year, with higher average crowds. Not to mention we have three of GWS' top four AFLW crowds.

Having the national capital in the national competition makes the most sense, but Darwin would be good for more games. Could make a good secondary home for three or four North Melbourne games once their Hobart deal ends.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Because (for about the 100th time on BF), there's no way the NT can even remotely support a team. Their population and economy is far too small. You don't (and realistically can't) have to have a major professional team in every single part of the country.

this was backed by the Feasibility study AFLNT and the NT Gov released that found a 15m year gap after max gold coast level afl distributions.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Canberra needs more games, and we're not going to get them as a secondary homeground. GWS already play too few games in Sydney, there's no more to take.

Canberra has already has proved we're a move viable candidate than Darwin. We have triple Darwin's population, and we already host three times as many (pre-Covid) AFL games a year, with higher average crowds. Not to mention we have three of GWS' top four AFLW crowds.

Having the national capital in the national competition makes the most sense, but Darwin would be good for more games. Could make a good secondary home for three or four North Melbourne games once their Hobart deal ends.
I can see Hawthorn playing games there post Tassie.
Giants to rebrand Western Sydney Giants and return one game to Sydney. Giants, Hawks and Saints to play two games each. North two games Albury.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

Not to mention the fact that the climate would create ridiculous win/loss records.

Darwin would win all their home games as the other teams would not be able to cope with the heat and would then lose all their away gam,es as they would not be fit enough to run out games in colder weather due to training limitations due to heat.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
GC should change their name to Queensland Suns and play games in Cairns and Sunshine Coast each year and rotate through Townsville and Mackay, who already have decent oval stadiums. Eight games @ Metricon mainly v Vic clubs.

How is that going to help them win games? The problem the Suns have is being competitive - if they were winning the support would come. It's a different fish to the Giants, who can't really put bums on seats despite being successful on the field.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
How is that going to help them win games? The problem the Suns have is being competitive - if they were winning the support would come. It's a different fish to the Giants, who can't really put bums on seats despite being successful on the field.
It won’t have any impact on their ability to win games. This thread is fundamentally about the health/growth of the game and I believe it would be better for the Sun and footy than playing home games in China or Darwin.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
What a joke, as if Tasmania could sustain an AFL team, particularly in a post Covid world.

the media pile on on this topic is embarrassing, they’re all too politically correct to state what any normal person can plainly see
I think it's safe to say you were wrong on this.
I'm not sure why you said politically correct either, very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back