Tigers all time team

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it doesn't matter these days when trying to pick these teams, but Deledio rarely played on a wing.

Clay was a star, one of the first very tall wing men. He was recruited as a key forward, played his early days on the wing, then ended his career as a great full back.

I think the romance of history says that Bourke Barrot Clay is the iconic centre line and I can't think of another winger since to break it up.
dick clay played in every key position and when in his younger days on the wing they called him racehorse bc of his pace, 65m drop punts no worries or a roost a 75m torp from full back. marvellous player.

Last edited:

Shai Bolton? WTF?
For your information regarding Tony Jewell...
During a Tigers preseason trip to Sydney the following year, Hart had to be rescued by the famously-fit Hafey after getting caught in a rip at a Sydney beach.

Tony Jewell was among other players who also struck trouble and later asked Hafey why he went to Hart, not him.

"Back pockets are a dime a dozen, but there's only one Royce Hart," Hafey allegedly shot back.

During a Tigers preseason trip to Sydney the following year, Hart had to be rescued by the famously-fit Hafey after getting caught in a rip at a Sydney beach.

Tony Jewell was among other players who also struck trouble and later asked Hafey why he went to Hart, not him.

"Back pockets are a dime a dozen, but there's only one Royce Hart," Hafey allegedly shot back.
I have heard that one before but what has that got to do with Bolton?

B: Kevin Sheedy - Vlastiun - Grimes

HB: Francis Bourke - McGhie -Dick Clay

C: - Bill Barrott - Cotchin Wood

HF: Riewoldt- Royce Hart -Dusty

F: Keane- Richo- S Bolton

Ruck: - Michael Green - Jewell Kevin Bartlett

I/C: Matthew Knights - Ian Stewart - Delidio S. Edwards

players I've seen

B: Dylan Grimes - Vic Thorp - Basil McCormack

HB:
Nick Vlaustin - Alex Rance -Bachar Houli

C: Francis Bourke - Bill Barrott - Dick Clay

HF: Matthew Richardson - Royce Hart -
Maurice Rioli

F:
Jack Riewoldt - Jack Titus - Dustin Martin

Ruck: Roy Wright - Jack Dyer - Kevin Bartlett

I/C: Michael Green -
Trent Cotchin - Dale Weightman - Matthew Knights

The backline has run & carry of McCormack, Houli & Vlastuin, with Rance, Grimes intercepting & the great Thorp to lockdown the key forward goal kicker, whether that be Gordon Coventry, Tony Lockett or a guy like Buddy Franklin, no one is going to get away from him, he's too smart & too quick
The centreline picks themselves, Barrott being the Dusty big game/finals player of that era with honorable mention to the great late 1920's & early 1930's centreline of Stan Judkins - Eric Zschech - Alan Geddes
The forwardline has our 3 greatest goalkickers in Titus, Richardson & Riewoldt, with Hart, Rioli & Martin being the match winners
The followers in Wright, Dyer & Bartlett are elite & give the side 1st use of the ball
The interchange has 1st change ruck Green, with Cotchin, Weightman & Knights all picking themselves

I think the romance of history says that Bourke Barrot Clay is the iconic centre line and I can't think of another winger since to break it up.
Yeah, but that's only recent history.
For example - Allan Geddes, Eric Zschech and Stan Judkins was the Richmond centreline from 1931-1934, when the Tigers played in 4 straight GFs (won2, lost2). Geddes was Richmond Captain for 3 years and finished runner-up in the Brownlow, Judkins won a Brownlow, and Zscech was centreman in the era when the centreman vied with the rover as the team's main midfielder. Just one example. Or - how about a winger? - Leo Merrett. Merret played as winger for Richmond in 3 straight GFs - 1942-44 (won1, lost2). He won the B&F in '42 and '44 (and finished 2nd in '45 and '46). That's more B&Fs than Bourke and Clay combined.

Don't get me wrong - I was a primary schoolkid when Billy Barrott was running around and he was legendary. A lair who could back it up, and a great finals player. Everybody loved him. Francis Bourke was Francis Bourke - absolute legend, but he played most of his career as a HBF (he's definitely in the team), Clay was pretty good and could be pretty good anywhere. But that centreline played for 3 seasons only (Barrot only played 120 games and was injured a lot).

Obviously I'm not criticising or saying that Bourke-Barrot-Clay were bad players - it just seems to have become a meme from the 1960s that this was the centreline. It's also a recognition that in the 1960s, with the rise of the TV panel shows and 'expert' commentators, it seems the best Richmond players all come from then on - with just a few exceptions/legends form the previous 50 years (Dyer, Wright, Titus). We won 5 flags and played in 9 other GFs in our first 37 years - that's a pretty good record (we also finished 2nd in 1924, when there was a round-robin finals series). In fact it's the 2nd best record of any team (after Collingwood) from when we started as an expansion team in 1908.

Yes, I'm a history nerd, and love readng it. It's a big part of how I follow the club.

All time team is pretty prestigious.
The only 3 I can get in are Rance, Riewoldt and Martin who IMO are all locks for the 22.

Cotchin has been a magnificent leader, but his only absolute elite season was the Brownlow in 2012.
[Top]Stats argue otherwise...
Player​
TM#GMAve.Year
Player​
TM#GMAve.Year
Most Contested Possessions In A Season
Dustin Martin
RI
363​
25​
14.52​
Trent Cotchin
RI
261​
22​
11.86​
Shane Tuck
RI
298​
22​
13.55​
Trent Cotchin
RI
259​
22​
11.77​
Trent Cotchin
RI
294​
25​
11.76​
Trent Cotchin
RI
253​
22​
11.50​
Dion Prestia
RI
291​
25​
11.64​
Dustin Martin
RI
244​
23​
10.61​
Dustin Martin
RI
277​
22​
12.59​
Trent Cotchin
RI
243​
20​
12.15​
Trent Cotchin
RI
273​
22​
12.41​
Shane Tuck
RI
237​
22​
10.77​
Dustin Martin
RI
272​
23​
11.83​
Shane Tuck
RI
236​
22​
10.73​
Trent Cotchin
RI
271​
22​
12.32​
Mark Coughlan
RI
236​
21​
11.24​
Anthony Miles
RI
266​
23​
11.57​
Wayne Campbell
RI
236​
22​
10.73​
Trent Cotchin
RI
264​
23​
11.48​
Shane Edwards
RI
234​
24​
9.75​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players that I've seen play 1980-2021

B: Duncan Kellaway Darren Gaspar Dylan Grimes

HB: Nick Vlastuin Alex Rance Joel Bowden

C: Matthew Knights Maurice Rioli Wayne Campbell

HF: Brett Deledio Matthew Richardson Matthew Rogers

F: Robert Wiley Jack Riewoldt Kevin Barltett

R: Mark Lee Dustin Martin Dale Weightman

INT: Bachar Houli Brendon Gale Trent Cotchin Nathan Brown

Players that I've seen play 1980-2021

B: Duncan Kellaway Darren Gaspar Dylan Grimes

HB: Nick Vlastuin Alex Rance Joel Bowden

C: Matthew Knights Maurice Rioli Wayne Campbell

HF: Brett Deledio Matthew Richardson Matthew Rogers

F: Robert Wiley Jack Riewoldt Kevin Barltett

R: Mark Lee Dustin Martin Dale Weightman

INT: Bachar Houli Brendon Gale Trent Cotchin Nathan Brown
Ottens anyday over gale if those are your parameters

coupla flags not enough for you?
I wasn’t having a go at you even though it might seem like it. You are one of our posters who I generally agree with.
was just astonished that you would pick him in an all-time best team.

I wasn’t having a go at you even though it might seem like it. You are one of our posters who I generally agree with.
was just astonished that you would pick him in an all-time best team.
A couple of flags. Highlights package as long as your arm. So far. Any of the boys who won 3 flags with Dimma were in consideration. Winning flags is what it's all about as far as I'm concerned

Players that I've seen play 1970(ish) - 2021

B: Dick Clay - Alex Rance - Dylan Grimes

HB: Merv Keane - Jim Jess - Francis Bourke

C: Geoff Raines - Ian Stewart - Bryan Wood

HF: Matthew Richardson - Royce Hart - Nathan Brown

F: Dale Weightman - Jack Riewoldt - Kevin Bartlett

R: Mark Lee - Dustin Martin - Maurice Rioli

INT: Trent Cotchin - Michael Roach - Brett Deledio - Kevin Sheedy

Using the team of the century (20th century) as a base, who from the last 20ish years would make their way into the all time Tigers team, considering we've won 3 premierships in 4 years.

The original team of the century was:

B: Kevin Sheedy - Vic Thorp - Michael Green

HB: Basil McCormack - Gordon Strang - Mervyn Keane

C: Francis Bourke - Bill Barrott - Dick Clay

HF: Matthew Richardson - Royce Hart - Roger Dean

F: Dale Weightman - Jack Titus - Bill Morris

Ruck: Roy Wright - Jack Dyer - Kevin Bartlett

I/C: Matthew Knights - Ian Stewart - Des Rowe - Geoff Raines

IMO the strongest contenders are Grimes, Rance and Cotchin. Dusty is obviously a lock to come in somewhere. Then there's guys like Vlaustin who I rate incredibly highly. Also Jack?

Thoughts?
that team of the century was a ******* joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back