Analysis Giants captaincy - where to from here?

Cogs was rusty yes, with 2 shockers with the boot.
His tackling and pressure on the other hand was great
Take disposal out of the question and he's one of the smartest players on the team.

Too many of our players handball the ball and let the person trying to tackle them run past and pressure the recipient. Cogs will almost always put the shepherd on, and I loved his "contest" of a mark in a way that took Hogan's opponent out of the play without giving away a free kick.

Kane is very anti-cogs so it’s not too surprising to hear this from him, Cogs was clearly rusty and still working his way back. Would like to see him play on the ball more next week.
Cogs made 2 very important tackles late

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Willing to chalk up his ball usage as first game back rust, tackling was great however. Think he has to play more midfield next week, at times especially in the last quarter we missed his cleareance work around the contest
I watched the last quarter again this morning. Much easier to digest what happened, but I was still strangely nervous.
Cogs won or neutralised several contests. It looked like he was running with Florent.
We aren't going to see his best this year. It will be a good base for 2022.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I watched the last quarter again this morning. Much easier to digest what happened, but I was still strangely nervous.
Cogs won or neutralised several contests. It looked like he was running with Florent.
We aren't going to see his best this year. It will be a good base for 2022.
I was pretty optimistic coming into the game but being played exclusively as a half forward makes it hard to impact the game around stoppages which is his strength. Thought when he was put on the ball very sparingly it looked good, maybe the tank isn't ready for an extended run through the midfield. This was pretty comfortably his worst game of the year (maybe his worst in a couple years?), so if this is the low point I think we're gonna be doing just fine. Glad he gets another chance to prove some people wrong and have more of an impact next week.

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I think Cogs is, to his credit, following the footy 101 manual.

If you’re out of form, lay tackles, shepherds instead until you regain your confidence.

He was also a key reason Hogan was able to clunk as many contested marks as he did.

And he’s doing those simple things at an elite level of match awareness and skill.

For me there’s zero question he’s best 22 and he simply must play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think Cogs is, to his credit, following the footy 101 manual.

If you’re out of form, lay tackles, shepherds instead until you regain your confidence.

He was also a key reason Hogan was able to clunk as many contested marks as he did.

And he’s doing those simple things at an elite level of match awareness and skill.

For me there’s zero question he’s best 22 and he simply must play.

No question he plays next week if Toby ultimately gets rubbed out it may mean more TT up forward and another body to go into the midfield it also creates far more of a story if he doesn't play which we don't need right now.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Weekend highlighted why Cogs must stay Captain.
1. Tub is too unpredictable. I walked away from the screen in disgust when he raised his hand to a checking Swans neck. He knows not to go there. But he can't help himself. **** knows why.
2. Assuming the worse, or the predictable, Toby won't play this weekend. Kelly is a wonderful leader, but Cogs can inspire if he can lift.
3. Means he is under heaps of pressure, but this is the game for Cogs to stamp his authority on the leadership.

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
Jeez I absolutely love Toby but how can this happen again in a final. Is he more or less likely to do this stuff in the future if he actually the skipper?

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Has Greene been suspended/fined when he was Acting Captain? (sorry if I've missed this)

Horns of a dilemma - I don't like rewarding bad behaviour and Greene keeps doing stupid things, but will Captaincy / Co-Captaincy just take that edge of his temper so he plays damn close, but doesn't cross the line.

Just thinking that responsibility might be a necessary evil to keep him on the field and out of 'serious' trouble.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Has Greene been suspended/fined when he was Acting Captain? (sorry if I've missed this)

Horns of a dilemma - I don't like rewarding bad behaviour and Greene keeps doing stupid things, but will Captaincy / Co-Captaincy just take that edge of his temper so he plays damn close, but doesn't cross the line.

Just thinking that responsibility might be a necessary evil to keep him on the field and out of 'serious' trouble.
I can't imagine it will, Toby is gonna be Toby whether's he given the title of captain or not I don't think that's gonna change anything and he's going to become well behaved all of a sudden

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I can't imagine it will, Toby is gonna be Toby whether's he given the title of captain or not I don't think that's gonna change anything and he's going to become well behaved all of a sudden
Hi Hendo,

Thanks for the reply.

That's just why I'm wondering if anyone has stats that can show if Greene has been suspended when Acting Captain.

It's probably a big assumption, but no suspension when AC could be important for the club to consider.

Hi Hendo,

Thanks for the reply.

That's just why I'm wondering if anyone has stats that can show if Greene has been suspended when Acting Captain.

It's probably a big assumption, but no suspension when AC could be important for the club to consider.
He was captain in the Geelong game and copped a week in that game.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Hi Hendo,

Thanks for the reply.

Your observation is very well made.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your qu is ‘Toby has a clean record when Captain’.

I’ve already been a strong advocate for a return to our co-Captaincy model.

Everything I’ve seen this week confirms to me it’s not only important but urgent too.

Your observation is very well made.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your qu is ‘Toby has a clean record when Captain’.

I’ve already been a strong advocate for a return to our co-Captaincy model.

Everything I’ve seen this week confirms to me it’s not only important but urgent too.

He has been suspended once as captain, he has been captain in about 15 games, so 1 in15 is slightly less than normal, but it is a small pool and probably not really a factor.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
He has been suspended once as captain, he has been captain in about 15 games, so 1 in15 is slightly less than normal, but it is a small pool and probably not really a factor.

Thanks for confirming the facts, my bad.

Personally, I’m a big believer in assigning responsibility for something bigger than yourself (like a team or family) as a path to redemption.

So notwithstanding there’s no perfect or easy model, it still makes sense IMO.

I also believe Cogs and Toby are excellent complementary personalities and each could help the other to improve their (relative) weaknesses.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I also believe Cogs and Toby are excellent complementary personalities and each could help the other to improve their (relative) weaknesses.

Unfortunately, Coniglio doesn't buy into the co-captaincy model.

That was the source of all the discord within the team.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Unfortunately, Coniglio doesn't buy into the co-captaincy model.

That was the source of all the discord within the team.

It’s been another very long and incredible year.

A lot of things we all took for granted in 2019 about work and life have been turned on their head.

Toby has always been a staunch supporter of Cogs during tough times to support his captaincy.

I’d be very surprised if Cogs wasn’t ready to return the favour.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
'We just can't do that in a game': Coniglio backs Greene ban (afl.com.au)

It has also led to speculation that Coniglio could be on the move to another club despite signing a seven-year contract in 2019 to stay with the Giants.

"I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't heard a lot of the talk or speculation," Coniglio said.

"It's all false. For me, it's not only about my commitment but love for the club and love for the community and what we've been able to achieve and build so far over my tenure.

"Obviously I made a massive commitment to the club and nothing changes on my end. I love the club and I can't wait for this Friday and the future ahead."

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
'We just can't do that in a game': Coniglio backs Greene ban (afl.com.au)

It has also led to speculation that Coniglio could be on the move to another club despite signing a seven-year contract in 2019 to stay with the Giants.

"I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't heard a lot of the talk or speculation," Coniglio said.

"It's all false. For me, it's not only about my commitment but love for the club and love for the community and what we've been able to achieve and build so far over my tenure.

"Obviously I made a massive commitment to the club and nothing changes on my end. I love the club and I can't wait for this Friday and the future ahead."
Cogs says he loves the club, community , region and how its building. Has a long term contract and is Captain(last week showed why he is and Tobes(I love him) isn’t.
Media “ he may want to move.”

Back