grand finals are going to be night from now on

Remove this Banner Ad

No brainer to trial a twilight grand final for the Eastern states while simultaneously giving Perth a traditional 2:30pm start.

But that is too much common sense for the AFL.

Last years night grand final flat out didn't work. I really thought that would be the end of it.

No brainer to trial a twilight grand final for the Eastern states while simultaneously giving Perth a traditional 2:30pm start.

Last years night grand final flat out didn't work. I really thought that would be the end of it.
Really does seem like the most sensible year to trial it.

I still think the AFL/broadcasters want a night grand final and will still push for it.

Yep. There was something about it that wasn't quite right. I didn't even really feel pissed off that we lost. The vibe was wrong.

Optus grandy under light will be unreal. Will be that good that maybe the MCG contract will be renegotiated, maybe once every 10 years the grand final can be played elsewhere.

If it's just about television ratings...

Night Grand Finals can't be beaten. Period.

Has anybody ever wondered why the NRL have their Grand Final on a SUNDAY NIGHT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's just about television ratings...

Night Grand Finals can't be beaten. Period.

Has anybody ever wondered why the NRL have their Grand Final on a SUNDAY NIGHT.

trying to differentiate from the more dominant AFL. Let’s flick the golf and racing to night too?

Optus grandy under light will be unreal. Will be that good that maybe the MCG contract will be renegotiated, maybe once every 10 years the grand final can be played elsewhere.

certainly the best stadium. Built primarily for AFL. I wonder if McGowan is wondering what went wrong 2020?

trying to differentiate from the more dominant AFL. Let’s flick the golf and racing to night too?

My point is.... if it's about TV ratings... night time wins.

Am I saying night is better? NO. If it's all about TV ratings/exposure/money then YES...night wins.

And The NRL is a good example... Just because it is less dominate doesn't mean it's not a good example of how night time rates better.

Look at the NRL GF rating difference since they changed to night .... loads more people are tuning in that wouldn't give a rats arse if it was on a Saturday afternoon. AFL may be a bigger sport, so what??? The point is night Grand Finals Rate better and more people tune in.

I like day Grand Finals ...but that's my personal opinion because I'm a long time fan. BUT If Im working for the AFL and my job is to generate money and think about exposure to the game it's simply a no brainer...night wins. Depends where you sit on the issue.

My point is.... if it's about TV ratings... night time wins.

Am I saying night is better? NO. If it's all about TV ratings/exposure/money then YES...night wins.

And The NRL is a good example... Just because it is less dominate doesn't mean it's not a good example of how night time rates better.

Look at the NRL GF rating difference since they changed to night .... loads more people are tuning in that wouldn't give a rats arse if it was on a Saturday afternoon. AFL may be a bigger sport, so what??? The point is night Grand Finals Rate better and more people tune in.

I like day Grand Finals ...but that's my personal opinion because I'm a long time fan. BUT If Im working for the AFL and my job is to generate money and think about exposure to the game it's simply a no brainer...night wins. Depends where you sit on the issue.

It's been brought up before, but footy is much more of a family game than NRL and finishing the biggest game of the season beyond 10:30 at night when a lot of kids are in bed is a great way to NOT grow the game into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back