ipswichpies

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Fine choice as our next coach, very good at developing young players which is ideal for where we are and probably will be for a few years yet. Our young player development when McRae and Beveridge were here was excellent as good as anybody league wide. having Wright oversee operations gives me great confidence for the future, go Pies.

Abdul_The_Bull

All Australian
Aug 3, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
A few takeaways from me....
Despite the turmoil at board level I am pleased that they managed to conduct a robust process. It is clear they had a selection criteria, that they went to the market - explored all viable options - and carried out the plan​
I was impressed that from the very first moment McCrae has owned his appointment - he was referring to the club as 'we' from the get go​
He appears not to be unintimidated by anyone and is keen to get a diverse support team behind him​
Most successful coaches in recent history (with perhaps Matthews as the exception) have been hard-working blokes that have got the most out of themselves and have been apart of successful organisations - McCrae has this in spades​
He is already looking to establish relationships with individuals in the group - clearly a relationship focused guy - which is what is required​
I am excited for the future prospects of our club and I am confident that the club, through Wrighty, has finally implemented robust processes.

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Good. I don't want Aker at Collingwood.

Whys everyone worried about aker? He moved back to brissy about 15 mths ago. Has started a career in real estate. hard to see him packing up and going back to Melbourne. That said.... i know in his playing days yes his mouth got him into trouble... But his playing ability WOW what a player. Ive had dealings with him since hes been back in Brisbane and hes a decent fella. Got to play against him a few weeks back too.

Abdul_The_Bull

All Australian
Aug 3, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
That interview on SEN this morning was great.

Its left me feeling we’ve 100% got the right coach for the job.

I just finished listening to that as well and I feel the exact same way. The fact he is advocating for assistants that will provide contrasting or differing opinions so that he can be fully informed before making decisions is refreshing. It is such a simple but effective strategy, unfortunately, in sport, as in business and life, it is not always easy to do as ego often gets in the way. I feel that McCrae's ego will allow this to process to happen and we will all benefit.
Hearing him point out that the discrepancy between number of disposal and forward 50 entries was pleasing and then to hear that this was an issue identified at Hawthorn (so he has experience dealing with this) is reassuring. We have a good one here.

Just listened back to the interview on SEN, and I'm buying what McRae is selling.

We all know that the ultimate test of success/failure of this appointment is years away and we can't possibly know how it will turn out.

BUT, if you had an algorithm specifically designed to reassure me that we will be heading in the right direction, it would create Craig McRae and make him say the things he's saying at the moment.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
i listened to the SEN thing.. and he sounds good but the only reservation is .... does he have mongrel in him? We know we need mongrel

From the presser yesterday:

Reporter - "Those Lions sides you played in were ruthless. Is there an aspect of that in your coaching?"
Craig - "Yes"

Sure, but what else was he going to say?

“Actually my coaching method is chock-a-block with ruthy goodness!”

TheVillageIdiot7

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sure, but what else was he going to say?

“Actually my coaching method is chock-a-block with ruthy goodness!”

It wasn't what he said....but how.

Without the vision to accompany it, the quote looks very very bland.
But watching the presser....it was the opposite.

If i had to summarise it, i'd say this one word (accompanied by the body language) gave me the most confidence that we will become aggressive and far more committed to the contest than the outside "kick it to me" behaviour we exhibited a lot this year.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
How good is this bloke...
View attachment 1223783
Now THAT'S what we need - a coaching panel with teeth - no pulling punches in front of the head coach.

Also his commitment to meet every player on the list one on one before the preseason starts - he already has his sleeves rolled up and is getting on with it without delay.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
From the presser yesterday:

Reporter - "Those Lions sides you played in were ruthless. Is there an aspect of that in your coaching?"
Craig - "Yes"

words are words. The brisbane side was a reflection of matthews attitude to footy and if you were around when he played, he demonstrated that on a number of occasions - especially in finals. McRae might have been in the team but the real drivers were alpha males like voss. McRae is an unknown at this stage.

Going broader on this, we have a similar example of McRae with Adam Simpson. Both hard workers, rather than stars of footy. Both considered, reasonable, process driven....etc etc.

In fact, both coach similar sides in some ways. West Coast is a major player in WA life. The players have a lot of people whispering in their ears. They have a lot of business opportunities etc and some success can result in players losing focus. The question with Simpson is whether he can get the Coasters back on track. I would ask the same question about McRae. It's not having mongrel against the opposition but having some towards the players. Leigh Matthews says that the alpha male is dead in coaching. He might be right. The millennials might need kissing and cuddles and explanations and involvement, but the team is still a pack of boys..... and emphasis on "pack".... boys in groups will always be boys in groups...

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Meanwhile at Carlton, Ross Lyon has pulled out of the coaching race.

Guess there was too much “instability” at the club 😂

the face hes not happy about Carlton having a panel and having a "process" says alot. scared of what they might find? scared of what they might ask?.... he expected the role to be handed to him.

the face hes not happy about Carlton having a panel and having a "process" says alot. scared of what they might find? scared of what they might ask?.... he expected the role to be handed to him.
Yeah, this is my view too. His comments last night, he thought he was gonna be handed the job and not go through a whole process.

Back