Politics Coalition MPs want school chaplains to ''help'' the mental health of kids re: climate change

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...en-suffering-mentally-due-to-climate-activism

So now the LNP want to gaslight the nation's children?

This is abhorrent, one of the worst things this sh*tstain of a government could possibly have come up with.

What the * is a ******* chaplain going to tell them about climate science?

This government would like nothing better than to take society back to the Dark Ages, and sadly Australia's voting public will go along for the ride with their eyes screwed up tight.

Disgusting.

I can't believe that a Goddamned chaplaincy program is funded at all in this day and age - where's the outrage?
In a multi-cultural, multi-denominational Australian society how can reinforcing outdated, white-Australia-era policies pass muster?

I moved to Qld a few years ago now and was dismayed to learn that kids at my daughter's school were subject to Religious (read: Christian only) Instruction in this day and age - we had to opt out and were met with pious disappointment - * YOU.

Australia's youth are orders of magnitude more intelligent than our backwards politicians, thankfully the kids have the good sense to place their faith in scientific expertise rather than the whims of ******* Invisible Sky Fairies.

What a country we're turning into

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...en-suffering-mentally-due-to-climate-activism

So now the LNP want to gaslight the nation's children?

This is abhorrent, one of the worst things this sh*tstain of a government could possibly have come up with.

What the fu** is a ******* chaplain going to tell them about climate science?

This government would like nothing better than to take society back to the Dark Ages, and sadly Australia's voting public will go along for the ride with their eyes screwed up tight.

Disgusting.

I can't believe that a Goddamned chaplaincy program is funded at all in this day and age - where's the outrage?
In a multi-cultural, multi-denominational Australian society how can reinforcing outdated, white-Australia-era policies pass muster?

I moved to Qld a few years ago now and was dismayed to learn that kids at my daughter's school were subject to Religious (read: Christian only) Instruction in this day and age - we had to opt out and were met with pious disappointment - fu** YOU.

Australia's youth are orders of magnitude more intelligent than our backwards politicians, thankfully the kids have the good sense to place their faith in scientific expertise rather than the whims of ******* Invisible Sky Fairies.

What a country we're turning into
The problem with religion in school isnt because we are in a multi cultural society. its because they believe in made up f**** sky fairies. Its just as wrong to do in an all white australia.

I just spent 123 days in hospital, trying to stay alive. 5/5 on Yelp, would recommend.

the doctors were fantastic.
the nurses were fantastic.
the orderlies were fantastic.
the administrators were fantastic.

being religious, I asked for a meet with the chaplain.

useless. Absolutely useless.

I will presume this is so Hillsong’s paedos have easier access? This is amongst the dumbest ideas I’ve heard this week.

The problem with religion in school isnt because we are in a multi cultural society. its because they believe in made up f**** sky fairies. Its just as wrong to do in an all white australia.

oh I agree Seeds, trust me on that - but if, for some misguided reason, politicians insist on inflicting religion on school children, then a more honest approach would be to encompass all religion, not just the one that the LNP (and tbf the ALP is just as rife with religious nutters) think will curry favour in the ‘Afterlife’ ..

oh I agree Seeds, trust me on that - but if, for some misguided reason, politicians insist on inflicting religion on school children, then a more honest approach would be to encompass all religion, not just the one that the LNP (and tbf the ALP is just as rife with religious nutters) think will curry favour in the ‘Afterlife’ ..
I would only teach religion in school as a history lesson. I.e why religion exists and why people believed in it and why there are different religions. i would not teach it as a source of truth or objective morality as the chaplain program does.

Scott Morrison needs to stop looking at his own kids as a standard for implementing this sort of policy. Simple genetics suggest that the average Australian kid is going to be a capable of understanding a far more sophisticated response to climate change than one offered by a chaplain than they are.

I would only teach religion in school as a history lesson. I.e why religion exists and why people believed in it and why there are different religions. i would not teach it as a source of truth or objective morality as the chaplain program does.

absolutely - as I mentioned in the OP, moved to Queensland a couple of years ago now and was gobsmacked to learn that primary school students are still routinely exposed to religious (=christian) ‘instruction’.

my daughter (who is probably better versed on evolution than myself thanks to her grandad) was happy enough to sit it out, but for a while there she was the only kid in her class that had to go and do something different while the rest of her class learned about Sin and what-have-you … happily she has had more and more class mates opt out along with her as the years have passed..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Morrison needs to stop looking at his own kids as a standard for implementing this sort of policy. Simple genetics suggest that the average Australian kid is going to be a capable of understanding a far more sophisticated response to climate change than one offered by a chaplain than they are.

Amen! ;-)

I don't mind Scripture/Religion studies as a philosophy class in primary and early high school for regular public schools. As long as you have the right hippy teachers, it's a nice thing to have in the schedule, like PE, dance, health, design&tech, etc. In that respect it functions a bit like a chaplain or tutorial or group meet. It was one of the more questioning class environments I had in school, and some kids out there might need that in their lives. It would be one of the best class opportunities to dwell on big fears like climate change anxiety as long as the teacher isn't inappropriate, complemented by studies in the sciences and health-based subjects. I remember we learnt about many religions, listened to music, studied ethics, etc. Harmless. But yeah, depends on the school type, the individual teacher and the community expectations.

But as someone who came from church from early childhood, scripture class by comparison was toned down and basically curriculum Sunday school and essentially harmless. And that was back in the Howard era.

Last edited:
Ditch religious studies and climate change...neither belong in schools.
Ditch religion, keep science.
Morrisons Chaplains would be better used training kids to avoid sexual predators in the various churches.

But, but, but...the story of Noah's Ark indicates that climate change can help rid the world of undesirable filth, by bringing about lots and lots of rain.

See? Nothing to worry about here.

:drunk:

It's their answer to everything!

Except human nature has not changed. The reasons why religions exist and why there are different religions and sects still remain. Humans are irrational and will continue to form together in groups strongly bonded or entrenched by small differences. This is the thing to understand and not just throw all of religion under the bus.

Except human nature has not changed. The reasons why religions exist and why there are different religions and sects still remain. Humans are irrational and will continue to form together in groups strongly bonded or entrenched by small differences. This is the thing to understand and not just throw all of religion under the bus.
Your plea for us to pander to irrationality is noted

I don't mind Scripture/Religion studies as a philosophy class in primary and early high school for regular public schools.

Why should public, non-secular school kids be forced to read the Qoran?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back