Preview Semi Final v Bulldogs @ The Gabba, Saturday 4th September 2021, 7.20pm.

Finals destiny?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the lions board? So much pessimism and doubt. Common we were an absolute shambles 4 years ago. Last week was s**t but it was a combination of facing a team on fire, minds/efforts not right and lets face it bad luck. As Leigh used to say to go a long way you need a bit of luck thats why we love the game.

Some whispers that Andrews is in doubt with a PCL type injury. Has anyone heard anything?

Some whispers that Andrews is in doubt with a PCL type injury. Has anyone heard anything?
I wouldn't be surprised if he is a late out, looked very restricted in his movement against the Demons, I'd expect Ballenden to come in if it happens.

Gardiner could be a late out as well... in Lester.

Geez I'm struggling with the talk about Fullarton.

Here's a kid 2 years into his development that's been dropped into the deep end well ahead of schedule because our best forward gets injured. I'm pretty bloody sure that no one at the club expected or wanted to ask so much of someone who really wasn't ready. And I'm sure the weight of expectation hangs on his shoulders in a way few here criticising him have ever experienced.

The talk of Ballenden and Smith somehow being better options defies the evidence put forward over the last couple of years. IF they were genuinely better options the people who see them EVERYDAY, not the occasional weekend, not in their imaginations, would pick them.

Yes Fages sticks with players. Yes, I'm as frustrated with that at times as much as anyone else. But they have a plan, and a structure they want to stick to. Is it perfect or infallible - s**t no. But to throw it out the window on the eave of final makes as much sense as the vaccine roll out.

If we lose tomorrow night it won't be because of Fullarton. Give the guy a break, he's doing what he can in a role we threw him into.

It'll be because 21 other players also didn't contribute to their full potential.

Chris Fagan has been very good for the Lions during his tenure. Playing finals football is not an easy task. But if we lose on Saturday, I feel it will be the beginning of the end for the coach. Hope I'm wrong.
there is an alternative view. Fagan has taken a side that was uncompetitive for 15 years and turnEd us into a strong side that consistently plays finals. Not many coaches have turned struggling sides around so quickly.

it is more difficult to go from a strong side to a Premiership side. Better to stick with a coach that is getting the best out of a side than chop and change hoping for better.

Does replacing Fagan get back fit Hippy, Rayner, McStay, and maybe Dizzy, Andrews, Berry etc.

Both Andrews and Gardiner were limited in their movements. Birchall had a knock too during Dees game.

Won't be surprised if there were late changes.

EDIT: Andrews is important to us no doubt, but its also worth mentioning we are 10 wins - 1 loss without him from 2018 to this year. The team has managed to cover his loss and do well all through this time. It's kind of similar to Neale, we have gone 7-0 without him this year.

Last edited:

zero cases, looking good for crowds tomorrow.

I just want to be clear I have no issue with Fullerton’s intent or effort or anything along those lines. It’s an incredible effort to play AFL, I not saying he will not ever make it. I do believe right now, in a cut throat final, he does not have the tools to contribute enough to the team to be getting a game. It’s weird that every week it suggested that so and so should be dropped- now for some reason there is outrage because it’s Fullerton. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Here's a kid 2 years into his development that's been dropped into the deep end well ahead of schedule because our best forward gets injured. I'm pretty bloody sure that no one at the club expected or wanted to ask so much of someone who really wasn't ready. And I'm sure the weight of expectation hangs on his shoulders in a way few here criticising him have ever experienced.

The talk of Ballenden and Smith somehow being better options defies the evidence put forward over the last couple of years. IF they were genuinely better options the people who see them EVERYDAY, not the occasional weekend, not in their imaginations, would pick them.

Yes Fages sticks with players. Yes, I'm as frustrated with that at times as much as anyone else. But they have a plan, and a structure they want to stick to. Is it perfect or infallible - sh*t no. But to throw it out the window on the eave of final makes as much sense as the vaccine roll out.

If we lose tomorrow night it won't be because of Fullarton. Give the guy a break, he's doing what he can in a role we threw him into.

It'll be because 21 other players also didn't contribute to their full potential.
About as well put as it can be. Great work. Keyboard warriors assessing players only on stats and then mope in a pool of their own morbidity.

McStay, Rayner, Daniher, Fullerton and others are crucified here on possessions, goals kicked, etc rather than what they bring to the team. Fullerton competes in the ruck giving Oscar a break. Success is limited but far better than what Ballenden and Daniher were doing. Might not mark everthing in sight, but creates space for Joe and Charlie.

I reckon he has been picked week after week not because of ineptitude by the coaching team, but because what he brings to the side is considered more in total than what anyone else could for the role required.

We'll win tomorrow and then we have our bunnies in Port. GF here we come.

Yes Fages sticks with players. Yes, I'm as frustrated with that at times as much as anyone else. But they have a plan, and a structure they want to stick to. Is it perfect or infallible - sh*t no. But to throw it out the window on the eave of final makes as much sense as the vaccine roll out.

Couldn't agree more. Leave the kid alone. He will go out there and give it his best shot and we can't ask for anything more than that. He will be given a job to do and at this stage the coaching team have the confidence to give him that opportunity.

Do you really have to talk about a Lions player as "useless"...he has just been resigned for 2 years. How may AFL games have you played twhowler?
I’d hazard the same number as you. It doesn’t mean either of us can’t assess an afl player. How did you rate his game? His blind kicking was just awful. Often had more time but threw it on his boot. Kicked it high as well which gave our forwards no chance. The last game he had a big chunk of as sub was v saints, had 3 quarters, had 4 possessions. Combined with his inability to play more than one position, he’s a baffling choice as sub.

With the benefit of knowing the changes now I wonder if bringing in Robertson for Prior means we intend to leave Berry up forward for his pressure. He wasn't too bad at getting involved, though he did have trouble holding onto marks.
Dropping Prior means we’ve gone in with one less wing.

Robertson can’t play wing. He usually plays as a defensive, pressure mid, and goes forward to play the same role.

That probably means Berry to a wing, and through the midfield.

Dogs don’t really play traditional wingers either, with Bailey Smith on one wing.

there is an alternative view. Fagan has taken a side that was uncompetitive for 15 years and turnEd us into a strong side that consistently plays finals. Not many coaches have turned struggling sides around so quickly.

Teams that have made finals three years running:
  • Brisbane Lions
  • Geelong
  • Western Bulldogs
I was going to use this as a point that the other equivalently successful teams don't complain about their coaches as much, but I'm not sure that's true looking at those two...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more. Leave the kid alone. He will go out there and give it his best shot and we can't ask for anything more than that. He will be given a job to do and at this stage the coaching team have the confidence to give him that opportunity.
Agree 100% is that all you can ask for is total effort from ALL of them.

Im with you; Ballenden isn't the greatest player we know, but he at least can play footy unlike Fullarton who perhaps is one of the worst players to ever play at the Lions (I mean someone has to be). When he plays, it feels like we are going in one less. Same for Cockatoo. Ah Chee can't be fit if Cockatoo is selected over Cal given he's done nothing the past two games except take out one of our best forwards.

The team selected by bringing in Dev and Payne and keeping Fullarton and Cockatoo in and playing broken down players in Birchall, Gardiner and lesser extent Harris feels like we are conceding this match and happy to get a finals game in to some young guys for the experience. Easily a straight sets exit for what will be one win out of 6 finals and people reckon we aren't flat track bullies. Like Ive said all year, name me one game we've won this year that we weren't expected to win? There hasn't been one and just a waste of a season unless we win against the Dogs and get the job done against Port.
Collingwood were faves against and we won. Apart from that we were favourite in every game except rounds 2-4 (on the road with covid, played 2 good sides in tough venues, lost to one cause of umps). Hard to get a lot of upsets when you are favourite every week…

I just want to be clear I have no issue with Fullerton’s intent or effort or anything along those lines. It’s an incredible effort to play AFL, I not saying he will not ever make it. I do believe right now, in a cut throat final, he does not have the tools to contribute enough to the team to be getting a game. It’s weird that every week it suggested that so and so should be dropped- now for some reason there is outrage because it’s Fullerton. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't know that there really is outrage because it's Fullarton as such - there's been plenty of outrage over the years about numerous players... Lester, Birchall and McStay for example and now suddenly 2 of those players are apparently integral to our success. We as supporters are fickle, and often we need a scapegoat. But usually it's criticism of seasoned hardened players.

My issue with the Fullarton talk is that it's obvious to nearly everyone he's struggling - including himself I'd suggest. It's not an ideal situation. He didn't ask to be dropped in the deep end but here he is, doing his best to do what's required of him, because the people who should know have faith in him.

What really annoys me is this is the same talk that was levelled at Hipwood for years, and not that long ago. The similarities are striking. Too young. Too skinny. Too inexperienced... And yet this year he's our best forward.

Fullarton may not make it. Or he might. Right now he's at the very beginning of his development and maturity as a player in a difficult role. We really can't expect him to perform any other way as much as we would love him to.

Imagine talking down,abusing & name-calling a 13 game key position player when he is the 4th choice forward in his early stages, and was still meant to be developing in the reserves, which has been cancelled. Those posters should take a good long look at themselves and evaluate why they are even posting.

I don't know that there really is outrage because it's Fullarton as such - there's been plenty of outrage over the years about numerous players... Lester, Birchall and McStay for example and now suddenly 2 of those players are apparently integral to our success. We as supporters are fickle, and often we need a scapegoat. But usually it's criticism of seasoned hardened players.

My issue with the Fullarton talk is that it's obvious to nearly everyone he's struggling - including himself I'd suggest. It's not an ideal situation. He didn't ask to be dropped in the deep end but here he is, doing his best to do what's required of him, because the people who should know have faith in him.

What really annoys me is this is the same talk that was levelled at Hipwood for years, and not that long ago. The similarities are striking. Too young. Too skinny. Too inexperienced... And yet this year he's our best forward.

Fullarton may not make it. Or he might. Right now he's at the very beginning of his development and maturity as a player in a difficult role. We really can't expect him to perform any other way as much as we would love him to.
We lose we are out, that’s it, let’s be honest majority are of the belief that he will contribute very little tomorrow night, for all the reasons discussed. We can’t afford that, a bloke 6 foot 5 who unlikely to take a contested mark, kick a goal or even provide a strong contest. I feel Frog/Payne can bring the ball to ground and contribute in other areas. Christ I hope TF kicks ten-ain’t gunna happen though.

We lose we are out, that’s it, let’s be honest majority are of the belief that he will contribute very little tomorrow night, for all the reasons discussed. We can’t afford that, a bloke 6 foot 5 who unlikely to take a contested mark, kick a goal or even provide a strong contest. I feel Frog/Payne can bring the ball to ground and contribute in other areas. Christ I hope TF kicks ten-ain’t gunna happen though.
But if we are actually prepared to look at Tom’s game objectively!
We will notice that on many occasions during each and every game Tom is actually beating his man to the ball, both in the air and when it hits the ground so he is doing a lot of things right.
Only letting himself down by not taking that mark or fumbling the ball and not picking it up cleanly, that is the confidence that age and experience brings. He is struggling a bit with the speed and perceived pressure of finals footy. But I am prepared to give him a bit of leniency as he will get there.
It wasn’t that long ago the Number 1 pick Cam Rayner was also struggling with these exact same things.
Tom is doing the best he can, he may only need to take one strong contested grab, kick one important goal, 1 clean pick up and handball to create a goal for someone else that will make him feel right at home and allow him to gain the confidence to play with a bit more freedom and have a real break out game that we are all waiting for.
I will back him in.

We will notice that on many occasions during each and every game Tom is actually beating his man to the ball, both in the air and when it hits the ground so he is doing a lot of things right.
Only letting himself down by not taking that mark or fumbling the ball and not picking it up cleanly, that is the confidence that age and experience brings. He is struggling a bit with the speed and perceived pressure of finals footy. But I am prepared to give him a bit of leniency as he will get there.
It wasn’t that long ago the Number 1 pick Cam Rayner was also struggling with these exact same things.
Tom is doing the best he can, he may only need to take one strong contested grab, kick one important goal, 1 clean pick up and handball to create a goal for someone else that will make him feel right at home and allow him to gain the confidence to play with a bit more freedom and have a real break out game that we are all waiting for.
I will back him in.
That’s the other side of the coin- that’s a positive view of his game.For me beating your man to the ball but dropping the mark or fumbling can be improved over time- right now is not the time to be trying to work that out, in my opinion. Your an optimist and truely good on you for that. I just can’t shake the thought come Sat night if we have lost we going to be saying we his input was next to nothing and a poor selection. Hope I am wrong.

The vitriol for a 13 game KPP from some of our own supporters is way OTT. Fair criticism is okay but not calling him one of worst ever players
Wow. Never seen so much discussion on one guy who is just learning and is but a small cog in the wheel.

Fairly simple for me. I was a supporter of putting him in the team , I think there are some nice attributes that he has and lots of things he needs to work on. He's dropped off the last couple of weeks and lost confidence imo. I also think Ballenden presently offers more on what I've seen. But it's a line ball ,he's had the finals experience and I think he'll go better this week back at the Gabba against this opposition where he's played a couple of decent games in the past.

I'm more worried if we play a couple of others than him.

I will back him in.
It's also not like he hasn't taken contested mark or two either, for those who can't remember him taking any marks since he's been back I'd suggest watching a couple replays. If you specifically watch him closely as well you'll find he has a lot of quick and clean handballs to teammates all over the ground, not just in the forward line. I seem to be in the minority but other than the last two weeks I feel as though he had genuinely contributed to the team in a positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back