Preview Semi Final v Bulldogs @ The Gabba, Saturday 4th September 2021, 7.20pm.

Finals destiny?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there are no more outs and we want to move a defender forward, my money is on Adams. Tell him to go forward, crash packs , bring the ball to ground and generally make a nuisance of himself.
I don't expect him to turn himself into a leading forward, I want him to be a wrecking ball.

Wouldn't hurt Fagan to actually admit that his gameplan needs changing or players who underperformed last week should have been dropped. The entire football industry called out andrews last week for his insipid performance, and he somehow remains in the team. Same as Birchall. Fagan needs to stop playing to his favourites, because it is our undoing.

As if he is gonna drop Andrews LOL - just move on from that silly suggestion.

The only player he has played favourites with is Birch.

Other than that, who is being kept out of the side by one of his so called 'favourites' each week?

I'll wait.

As if he is gonna drop Andrews LOL - just move on from that silly suggestion.

The only player he has played favourites with is Birch.

Other than that, who is being kept out of the side by one of his so called 'favourites' each week?

I'll wait.
Yer the Birch one is strange, he is so slow on turnover + gets shown up on matchup handovers during open play, for the life of me I can't see how he has remained in the side. His strength is his precise kicking but that is as rare as hens teeth these days, most of the time he takes the long kick down the line option or the short 15-20 meter kick to a player gut running into space, Birch takes the 5th-6th ranked forward most of the time so I think the defensive side of his game can be covered very well.

There are 3 players on our list who would be of more use in the back 7 and bring better weapons IMO.. and not necessarily playing a similar role ie. James Madden, Jaxon Prior and Ryan Lester.

Seems a lot of support for Adams going forward.

I just think you're taking to much away from a backline that's a bit wobbly with injury issues.
Agree, I'd start with Payne forward until/if it becomes clear he is all at sea in the role and the game is slipping away, we can always switch him and Adams over if needed.

It's also not like he hasn't taken contested mark or two either, for those who can't remember him taking any marks since he's been back I'd suggest watching a couple replays. If you specifically watch him closely as well you'll find he has a lot of quick and clean handballs to teammates all over the ground, not just in the forward line. I seem to be in the minority but other than the last two weeks I feel as though he had genuinely contributed to the team in a positive way.
Believe he has taken ONE contested mark in the last month. He is 6 foot plenty and we have dominated 3 of those games.

Not sure if it’s a blow torch- think it’s fair to suggest he should be the one omitted if we making changes.
Agree, I'm not going back over the thread but I think there as been 1 maybe 2 posters who have been over the top with their criticism of Fullarton, everyone else has been fine.

Screw it lets just have a round-robin carousel of Adams/Payne/Andrews rotating through the forward line for 10min stints.

I'm unsure whether Payne or Adams will do the better job for us re: crashing packs and bringing the ball down. Who knows with Payne's speed maybe he can get out on the lead too :eek:

should be fun to see what we actually try on the weekend anyway. Maybe we'll unearth the next Coleman winner ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately who do you suggest to take his place? Ballenden? A player with less games/experience and in regards to skill level is roughly the same anyway?
Fwiiw I think Ballenden is a better mark ,kick and ruck if necessary. Ballenden just needs a go.

But nothing against Tom. Tom you would say is more mobile a maybe a bit more pace.

Screw it lets just have a round-robin carousel of Adams/Payne/Andrews rotating through the forward line for 10min stints.

I'm unsure whether Payne or Adams will do the better job for us re: crashing packs and bringing the ball down. Who knows with Payne's speed maybe he can get out on the lead too :eek:

should be fun to see what we actually try on the weekend anyway. Maybe we'll unearth the next Coleman winner ;)

Our poor defenders haha..

Ok, I'm in forward line now, don't spoil it to boundary, don't spoil it to boundary, don't.. ***incoming and spoils it** DOHHH !

I almost feel sorry for them - its like the dog chasing the ball, very calm, holding himself back, ball gets thrown and woweee off it goes chasing it. Instinct takes over lol :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

That’s the other side of the coin- that’s a positive view of his game.For me beating your man to the ball but dropping the mark or fumbling can be improved over time- right now is not the time to be trying to work that out, in my opinion. Your an optimist and truely good on you for that. I just can’t shake the thought come Sat night if we have lost we going to be saying we his input was next to nothing and a poor selection. Hope I am wrong.
I haven’t followed the whole conversation, have you offered an alternative to Fullarton?

Ultimately who do you suggest to take his place? Ballenden? A player with less games/experience and in regards to skill level is roughly the same anyway?
I would play Payne or Lester there, Payne to give O a chop put in the ruck against Young. Yes we will be short with Lester there but Fullerton not taking marks anyway.

I would play Payne or Lester there, Payne to give O a chop put in the ruck against Young. Yes we will be short with Lester there but Fullerton not taking marks anyway.
Assuming Payne plays Mcstays role I doubt they'll play 2 defenders forward.

Fwiiw I think Ballenden is a better mark ,kick and ruck if necessary. Ballenden just needs a go.

But nothing against Tom. Tom you would say is more mobile a maybe a bit more pace.
Having watched a lot both Ballenden and Fullarton at training, I’d rate their contested marking as on par.

Ballenden is a better, more confident uncontested mark, and a better kick.

Ballenden also has a much better feel for playing ruck, but is just as ineffective at AFL level, against AFL rucks.

He just doesn’t know how to use his muscles and size to compete. I don’t know if it’s a core strength issue or what, he just gets easily pushed off his spot or line.

Is anyone else annoyed that in pressers it is a lot of the time impossible to decipher what a journalists question is? Today in the presser Fages answered one question like this (not verbatim)- on Tuesday I was expecting him not to play yer but he was good and is ok to play.

Can anybody with better ears out there tell me who he was talking about? I'm speculating it was either Darcy or Harris.

Note- Fages did raise the possibility of Harris playing forward.. he was smiling though so could have been an old man joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back