Ross Lyon Most Underrated Coach By General Public?

Ross Underrated by General Public

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon reminds me of that old Jewish guy who goes into a Catholic Church and confesses to the priest about sleeping with an 18 year old girl.
The priest asks him "You are a Jew, so why are you telling me this?" He replies, "Father, I am telling EVERYBODY!!!"

Ross Lyon loves to tell us all how great he is. How he changed the culture at St Kilda and Freo. What he fails to mention is that both clubs were on the up when he arrived. The hard work had been done. And, importantly, this game is all about premierships. He failed on every occasion.

Gets no support among fans. Even though he has made 4 grand finals. He is dubbed as boring and is treated like dirt old malthouse.
Dirt old Malthouse actually won 3 flags as coach. He should be privileged to be spoken about in the same vein.

Gets no support among fans. Even though he has made 4 grand finals. He is dubbed as boring and is treated like dirt old malthouse.

What has he done to make it seem like he is out of touch with the game? Muh boring footy? Hope you enjoy sitting bottom of the ladder while screaming at Lyon being boring. No that's not directed to any club it's at supporters whom support of bottom of the table clubs and that enjoy their exciting games.

People would rather Buckley, Scott? LOL. So exciting. Wow

Rocks and glass houses.
I honestly didn't find freo at their peak boring? The manic defensive pressure was generally enjoyable to me. A free for all 20 vs 22 goal game isn't always as exciting as what people make it out to be.

I wonder how Paul Roos would be rated if Leo Barry didn't take that mark and the Eagles managed a goal in the dying seconds of 05? Nowhere near as highly probably.

People put too much emphasis on final moments in close GF's. A good coach is capable of making that journey to the GF, through a full preseason, winning stacks of H&A games and prelim finals. Let alone multiple times.
I agree that the very top of the line coaches finish off with a premiership. Not many of those around though.

Ross is very flawed but still the best available after Clarko, easily. The Blues totally stuffed it trying to force him through their contrived PR friendly 'process'.
All these ‘ifs’ are total garbage. They are part of every game. ‘If’ the ball was called out of bounds before Harmes brought it in the Pies would have won the GF. If McKenna wasn’t knocked out by his own player when he dominated Pies were well on top we would have won another GF etc etc.

The game is full of these and every club has their own story.

Is Lyon the best available after Clarkson? He hasn’t coached for 2 seasons. There may be a well experienced assistant out there who knows what it’s like to win a premiership.

Over the past 15 years how many coaches who have been sacked and come back as a senior coach won a GF?

I doubt the guy can adapt to a changing game. We all know the style he will bring in. Hasn’t changed for 15 years

Very close to winning flag against powerhouse sides. Carlton are crazy for not bringing him in IMO.
Exactly this.
Everyones rants on about how he can get his teams to GFs(because well he has!) but can’t “win “ one has got to verge most stupidest illogical comment I’ve heard in footy circles.

In every one of his GFs his teams were the underdog - against what turned out to be some of greatest premiership winning teams of all time.. and even then bar for a bit of luck could have won a couple of them.

As an example I mean Adam Simpsons a premiership coach but his team trailed for virtually the entire match and only got in front for the last couple minutes courtesy of one very good set shot from the boundary
Pretty much since then with 10 AA players or more and the best home grand advantage in the league he hasn’t been able to even get his team top 4.
Yet because Don sheed can kick he’s considered a superior coach to Lyon??

Last edited:
Ross let his EGO get in the way. And in so doing showed he didn't REALLY want the job.

The game has changed SIGNIFICANTLY since he last coached, and more since he last coached WELL.

Ross let his EGO get in the way. And in so doing showed he didn't REALLY want the job.

The game has changed SIGNIFICANTLY since he last coached, and more since he last coached WELL.
Lol
I hear this one all the time ,

Tell me exactly how the game has “changed” ?,let alone significantly*

Or is it just the vibe?

*Heads up ,I hope your reply isn’t going to include the words “opened up” and “higher scoring” because it may come as surprise to you but the actual stats suggest the total opposite

Really? Go look at every premiership side from 2016 onwards.

Each grand final winner struggle to average 100 points in attack during the regular season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never really understood the intercontinental belt.
I just remember Randy the macho man savage had it for a while.
It was a secondary belt that set up a mid carder or upper carder to eventually become a world champ just ask randy savage, ultimate warrior, bret hart and shawn Michaels

It was a secondary belt that set up a mid carder or upper carder to eventually become a world champ just ask randy savage, ultimate warrior, bret hart and shawn Michaels

How many of those hacks ever beat The Missing Link. TML, who hailed from “parts unknown" used to win his fights so easily he felt the need to grab his one tuft of hair and ram his own head into the turnbuckle on multiple occasions after applying his finisher, just so it would feel like he had actually had a fight. Had he had a stand-up manager rather than Bobby Heenan or later Jimmy Hart he would undoubtedly have gone places in the WWF, but they were weak and failed to keep The Link under proper control, and he lost several bouts due to not understanding the rules properly, often taking to vandalising stadium seating whilst he was suppose to be in the ring fighting. He was well known to have certain disciplinary issues in the WWF that may have benefitted from the tutelage of his WCCW Manager Skandor Akbar.

The Intercontinental title was originally so called because it covered both North and South America, although archeologists have been unable to uncover evidence professional wrestling actually took place in South America at the time. So the title may have lacked real historical context, but nevertheless, it soon started making its own history. I just think it would have been given much greater credibility as a title if the likes of The Missing Link, George the Animal Steel and the “Million Dollar Man” Ted Dibiase had been listed amongst the holders of the title rather than the likes of Ricky Steamboat and Tito Santana. Of course incidents like the double pinfall finish between Chris Jericho and Chyna further eroded the credibility of the title, given the WWF crowned them both as title holders. 😩

Last edited:
He probably would've done well at Carlton, but they are a basket case and he feels that any process is uneccessary for him? It's doubtful he had much respect for the hierarchy there? Let's face it, Cook is there to get a retirement fund! He is not long term...Lyon would ruffle feathers and he would have to be in sole charge. He simply didn't have the game plan in 2009/10 when he had his best chance, he is very astute, but apart from Cook who would he really respect there to have a say?

I don’t think he’s underrated at all. It’s just that coaching an effort-based game plan with a fundamental objective to stay in the game long enough to hopefully steal it doesn’t adhere you to fans or go very far to developing players’ instinctive talents. With a good list and a stable club he’s rolled gold but I’ve heard his style does wear people down which we saw once Fremantle weren’t competing for finals.

Massively underrated
No flags but the difference to most no flag coaches he was the bounce of the ball and a few missed kicks from being a 3 time premiership coach with two of the most underperforming clubs against dynasty teams in hawks and cats plus a draw against the pies.
Was worried when linked with gws and blues definitely would make them better outfits.

IMO most overrated coach by general public and media.

Never had a gameplan that would win a premiership and didn't stand up when it really mattered. Multiple failed Grand Final attempts.
He's a polarising figure isn't he. Well he could have won a flag or two but history tells us he didn't. I suppose Bob Rose at Collingwood was the same.
Agreed on his game plan. Against the very best sides , it didn't create enough scoreboard pressure , and kick scores the oppostion sides couldn't catch. I always felt as a Saints supporter,in those big games, the other side was always in the game.
And what's worse, I think they felt that to!

IMO most overrated coach by general public and media.

Never had a gameplan that would win a premiership and didn't stand up when it really mattered. Multiple failed Grand Final attempts.
harsh mate.... could of got flags in 2009, 2010 and 2013 if he had some luck.

Nathan Buckley would of got a premiership medal as a coach in 2018 if it wasn't for a dom sheed kick on a tight spot.

harsh mate.... could of got flags in 2009, 2010 and 2013 if he had some luck.

Nathan Buckley would of got a premiership medal as a coach in 2018 if it wasn't for a dom sheed kick on a tight spot.
It's a very fine line success and failure isn't it? But wasn't it Lyon himself who said sport is a microcosm of life ?

Back