Autopsy AFL 2021 Second Semi Final - Cats v Giants Fri September 3rd 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Giants by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Giants by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Giants by a lot

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't say that was an overly convincing win. Shits gunna have to hit the fan for the dees not to make the GF from here.

Totally agree but geez you don't have to look back to far for exactly that is prelims. GWS and Collingwood both won in the last 4 years in games they were bigger outsiders than Geelong will be. You just got to get there and then who knows. The one thing I do know is if your club ain't there you have zero chance to win! Also it must suck for the rest of competition. I mean I don't even know why they call it top four anymore. Teams just play for the three positions left after you pencil the Cats in for a prelim. It's truly ******* phenomenal and amazing to be a Cats fan. So proud!!

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Totally agree but geez you don't have to look back to far for exactly that is prelims. GWS and Collingwood both won in the last 4 years in games they were bigger outsiders than Geelong will be. You just got to get there and then who knows. The one thing I do know is if your club ain't there you have zero chance to win! Also it must suck for the rest of competition. I mean I don't even know why they call it top four anymore. Teams just play for the three positions left after you pencil the Cats in for a prelim. It's truly ******* phenomenal and amazing to be a Cats fan. So proud!!
I'm already nervous don't know how Geelong fans handle it for so many years. I can only remember 4 preliminary finals in my life 94, 98, 00, 2018. Only one was a joyful occasion.

Thornton Melon

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
she's the worst commentator by a long way. she only got the job because she's female and plays footy so it meets diversity demands from the higher ups.

She literally never says anything special. She sticks to the script, never disagrees with fellow commentators or umpiring decisions. She's very mainstream and bland.

OMG CANCEL CANCEL! You can't just go around speaking the truth about a woman.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Firstly. 1 call doesn't make up 2 hours of biased Geelong umpiring. Secondly, we still had to take a contested mark inside 50m. The 50m didn't take us into goal scoring range. Thirdly, if it wasn't for the corrupt deliberate call then that whole play wouldn't have happened and lastly (and most importantly) the 50m was a clear free kick. A double fisted punch 10m into the stands when the ball was clearly over the line to waste time and get numbers back is a clear 50m. The umps were a 4-5 goal Geelong advantage that day and they scare me more than Geelong themselves.

The corrupt deliberate call for a kick that clearly came of the side of the boot. Right.

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
And adding the same reply to you.

"Firstly. 1 call doesn't make up 2 hours of biased Geelong umpiring. Secondly, we still had to take a contested mark inside 50m. The 50m didn't take us into goal scoring range. Thirdly, if it wasn't for the corrupt deliberate call then that whole play wouldn't have happened and lastly (and most importantly) the 50m was a clear free kick. A double fisted punch 10m into the stands when the ball was clearly over the line to waste time and get numbers back is a clear 50m. The umps were a 4-5 goal Geelong advantage that day and they scare me more than Geelong themselves".
So what do the umps and AFL actually get out of making Geelong win all the time? I’m interested to hear your answer.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Geelong doesn't scare me next week. At all. What does scare me is the umps that literally tried to gift the game to geelong a couple of weeks ago. 2 hours of terrible one way calls including 2 horrendous deliberate decisions against Oliver and Brayshaw as well as about three 8m passes to and from Hawkins getting called 15m.
The umpires are the only way we lose this game unless we kick 8.17 or something.
embarrassing 'analysis'

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah cool. Your success has been due to to F/S rule. Nothing more.
So if we win next week it’s because we have Jed Bews and Hawkins yeah? I’d rather be good because of the F/S rule than building a team full of first round picks received for being unsuccessful and finishing bottom every year.

Hoges to kick a bag then snort a bag. Danger to go missing when it matters. Hawkins will grab a nice big fat nugget out of his nose and eat it live on television. Selwood’s a dirty campaigner. GWS easily because Geelong are mentally pissweak.
Post of the thread.

Geelong doesn't scare me next week. At all. What does scare me is the umps that literally tried to gift the game to geelong a couple of weeks ago. 2 hours of terrible one way calls including 2 horrendous deliberate decisions against Oliver and Brayshaw as well as about three 8m passes to and from Hawkins getting called 15m.
The umpires are the only way we lose this game unless we kick 8.17 or something.
Are you 12?

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
People are selling the Giants short here IMO, it was a final and they were hard at it in the first QTR, but with Tuohy back in the team, you could easily see players around him had more confidence. It was a significant first term. Watching it again now and GWS were good in the first half. The pressure is all on the DEES..

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wait till the grand final, you'll be sh*tting bricks for 3 hours.....
I remember calling my mate in 07 at half time congratulating him on the cats winning the grand final, he still wasn’t confident at 52 up. I called him again at 3/4 time and he conceded that Geelong had broken the drought. Would be good to see a breakthrough if we make gf after that I might be able to relax a bit more.

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Actually, its a top 3 and one of them gets to win the flag....
(NB. Its never us)

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Winning finals when you’re ‘up’ against a particular opponent who also has to be good to get there doesn’t somehow negate nearly 40 years of basically being not good enough to earn a crack at us when we made finals for fun.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest if Richmond were scraping into 3-4th spot from 07-11 I’d say they’d have been pretty comfortably held in ‘games that mattered’
Don't you know... 3rd and 4th is where Richmond win flags from. See 1969, 1980, 2017, 2019, 2020. Geelong are trying the Richmond way this year.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I reckon Hawkins' game was the best individual performance of the series so far. Lever/May vs Hawkins/Cameron will determine who gets in the Grand Final IMHO.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah cool. Your success has been due to to F/S rule. Nothing more.

see that’s interesting.
1. success. That’s an interesting word, isn’t it. Success. Where has Melbourne’s success come from?
well for starters, they haven’t had any really beyond making a couple of prelims in 20 years. So nowhere, really. But those prelims? They came from a succession of editions of their club being willing to try and lose. You’re actually potting a club that, for all it’s finals failures, has done everything it can for 17 years to try and win. Your club has done the opposite and the payoff is that after umpteen coaching changes and player delistings you’re only just leaving the ‘joke’ status accorded clubs like Carlton and Essendon during that time. So pull your head in and don’t try and pot any other team’s ‘success’ when your own has a) not had any and b) done nothing to earn the players that have you poised for it now

2. That’s been it, has it? Father sons. That’s the only reason we’ve succeeded? Bartel’s Brownlow medal? Bartel’s norm smith medal? Dangerfield’s Brownlow medal? Steve Johnson’s norm smith medal? Paul Chapman’s norm smith medal? But the only reason we’ve had any success at all has been Ablett, Scarlett, Hawkins and *cough* Jed bews?
the credentials of all-timers like Bartel, Johnson, Chapman, Enright, Ottens, Taylor, Corey, Dangerfield, Stewart (your favourite player), Milburn etc. they all were built from father son selections were they? The funniest part about all this is that Hawkins was the only one of them who was actually highly rated, made even funnier by the fact that in forums like this, he was critiqued as pretty much a joke for much of his career. Now that you want to give it the biggen he’s suddenly turned into tony Lockett.
Guess what mate? If you lost Steven May, the main all Australian key defender, your team would be ****ed. In 2007 we lost the all Australian key defender forever because Matthew Egan’s foot refused to heal. So we brought through Harry Taylor. Who was even better and within 3 years he was a dual premiership key defender. Did that come from a father son pick too?

Nah you look like you’re right across everything and your opinions should be taken very seriously

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It seems the BF equivalent of the name Karen is something starting with Dan....
  1. Anyway, Geelong in first up poor final performance shock loss!
  2. Geelong in commanding second final performance shock win!
  3. Next week is Chris Scott in bizarre tactical move costs Geelong the prelim shock!
  4. BF too old too slow thread gets bumped shock!
  5. BF poster predict the end of Geelong over the off season!
  6. Geelong finishes top 4 again!
And so on the cycle goes....

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Jesus what is wrong with you PhatBoy? You don’t need to compose an essay defending literally every single negative comment about Geelong.
FFS some of the dribble you are responding to doesn’t even warrant a thought let alone a response. Just let it go dude. Seriously.

Back