Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Greene hit Dangerfield with the point of his elbow, which is more likely to cause injury than a forearm, which is what Selwood hit Kelly with. Dangerfield was injured and Kelly wasn't, surprise surprise. The two incidents aren't the same.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
People were outraged by Toby's suspension. I don't think we should be asking for anyone to be suspended for that. I understand being consistent, but I'd rather them be wrong once than wrong twice.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
No issue.
exactly, no citation for either is the correct course :thumbsu:
TG on Dangerfield had a physical consequence on the receiver, so suspension.
no outcome for TG II or Selwood so no citation.
Screaming against Selwood then is screaming the Toby should have gone from last week's forearm to neck/throat/head.
now we can argue about how intent is more important than outcome forever, but it's irrelevant to the AFL and MRO, in these instances.

Hospital? He must have missed a couple of weeks.

Is he ok now or still recovering ?
I know you’re such a caring individual, hellbent on stamping out head contact LOL, so here’s the AFL report on the injury:

“GEELONG superstar Patrick Dangerfield will spend Friday night in hospital, having been substituted out of his team's disappointing loss to Greater Western Sydney with a nasty throat injury.

Dangerfield was collected by a raised elbow from Giants ace Toby Greene, who was attempting to fend off the tackle of his Cats counterpart, before leaving the game in some discomfort.

Geelong coach Chris Scott said afterwards that he didn't have an issue with Greene's raised elbow, urging supporters to watch the incident at full speed when analysing the action, but said there was reasonable confidence in the Cats camp that Dangerfield had avoided serious injury....”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was a free kick, it got paid, it’s not a discussion. Get a grip.
Its the double standard that the discussion.

So many Cats fans calling for Greene's head a month ago, now excusing similar contact as nothing serious. Don't know if that includes you, but your response is indicative.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong

So many Cats fans calling for Greene's head a month ago, now excusing similar contact as nothing serious. Don't know if that includes you, but your response is indicative.
I imagine lots of people, from a variety of clubs thought Toby gets a week for that, and lots didn’t.
However, who cares. That’s irrelevant to this discussion.
Last night it was a free kick against Selwood, and it was paid. Simple. The fact that some of you keep banging on about it means you are playing the man rather than assessing the incident.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Personally, I didn't care if Greene got suspended for the Dangerfield incident or not, but I thought it was an exercise in futility to try to get his suspension completely overturned based on the severity of the impact, instead of arguing it was a football action and justified in the circumstances. I'm amazed that the impact was reduced at the tribunal hearing.

You can argue about whether it was a football act, 'in the spirit of the game' and if Greene had gotten off on those grounds, I would have shrugged my shoulders and moved on. But I don't think the severity is up for discussion. His opponent missed three quarters of the game and was rushed to hospital as a result of the incident.

I mean, it's not news to anyone that the outcome of an incident has a huge bearing (I'd argue too much) on the MRO assessments, right? That that's how things have worked for a few years now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back