Autopsy AFL 2021 First Semi Final - Lions v Bulldogs Sat September 4th 7:20 EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally the least relevant statistic in football. If a team doesnt infringe much they wont give many frees away.

Somebody needs to assess the validity of frees given or not given, raw numbers mean nothing

Is only ever said by teams that just got a armchair ride. Of course umpires win games tonight was a perfect example of it.

Straight sets for multiple years.
Sure. Thats umpires enginnering it.
Or perhaps a weak mindset finals time.

Why are Dogs fans defending the umps like they are your own? it's weird.

No one is saying the Dogs 'played' for frees, you just got the rub of the green.

Why are you so sensitive about this?

To take topic away from unpiring, Bailey Smith was amazing last quarter

You have to feel for the lions yes the umps did have a bearing on the game, but so did he missed opportunities and so did injuries Daniher and Nakia utter tripe may as well be 3 players down the same effect.

In a game decided by a single point both sides will look at how they could have made more of their opportunities. Bont missed every shot he took, Keath missed a gettable set shot after the 50m penalty, Johanisen missed his set shot after the siren. Cameron had that blazing bit of play in the third where he torched his opponent to win the ball and missed on the run, Neale missed after the deliberate out of bounds and the list goes on.

You have to feel for the lions yes the umps did have a bearing on the game, but so did he missed opportunities and so did injuries Daniher and Nakia utter tripe may as well be 3 players down the same effect.
Couldn’t agree more, unfortunately in every game there are numerous decisions that are questionable. However, on their own deck with the crowd on their side and a prelim on offer, yet again senior players couldn’t deliver ……. Dogs were up for the fight and the Lions were simply not good enough.
Fagan does need to come under serious scrutiny, including a host of senior player just not up to it. If this were a straight sets debacle by a big Melbourne club, the heat would come!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were awesome tonight, couldn't be prouder. Coming here to rag a young team with half their players out, after the game of the year, is embarrassing for Tigers fans.

"We didn't make finals, so I'm going to live vicariously through other teams' defeats" is a time-honoured tradition on Bigfooty, sadly.

Never understood the logic personally, but it is what it is.

As a neutral, I thought the Dogs got a soft run from the umpires, I just wish they'd put the whistle away on minor soft infringements, let them go, it will even out.

Dogs got around 10 more 50/50 frees going their way than Brisbane and in a one point game that's worth a couple of goals at least.

This has shades of the umpire assisted/gifted 2016 finals

Bitching about umpires is so overrated. I understand that everyone will roll their eyes over this one but Richmond won 3 flags while being 18th in free kick differential in each of those seasons, by a long way. If you’re good enough you will overcome this and get on with it.

Yep - eye roll.

I'm not going to mention the umpires. Oops! I tend to watch the footballers, whom I find far more exciting.

I'm pleased that our victory over Richmond in last season's finals is still excruciating for their ferals. Mind you, I thought the Tigers' performance in this year's finals series was stellar. Well played to you lot.

Where we ended up was just about right. We were eventually stretched for depth - losing Hipwood and McStay - coupled with injuries during the game (though Doggies suffered from this too), means we did well to be that close. Also, Cam Rayner might have been handy.

Had we won, a crushing loss would have been inevitable next week.

Anyone who says this was anything less than a magnificent game of football spent far too much time watching the umpires.

Umpires, Matt Stevic (9), Nathan Williamson (22), Robert Findlay (23)

Williamson umpired the dogs V dons last week. Why would the AFL have him umpire the same team, two finals games in a row?

Stevic umpired the 2016 AFL grand final.......

Yeah, that's what I thought. He shaped up to contest the ruck contest, but then couldn't because the ball bounces right over his head and beyond him, at that point he is standing between English and the ball, and hasn't contested the contest (because the bounce didn't let him) and gets done for a block. A more sensible outcome would have been a recall and re-bounce.

Agreed 100%, the knee lift was purely a instinctive defensive reaction as a result of finding himself under the ball with an opponent charging at him.
Just call play on and let them fight it out for the remainder, with scores level it would have been either a draw and extra time or a result score from either side for the win.
I think had that happened most neutrals would have accepted the shithouse umpiring performance throughout the previous 2 hours as what we've come to expect and moved on but we all knew, well, those who have been on the wrong end of these s**t decisions for 30 years, that the second Brisbane squared the ledger there would be a centre square free kick awarded to put the ball in the Dogs forward line for advantage.

When the Lions squared it up my Wife who only loosely follows the game said what happens if its a draw, i said dont concern yourself with it, they'll pay the Dogs a free from the centre and they will score, as soon as the whistle went she turned and looked at me in surprise, i just rolled my eyes and said ive seen this movie plenty of times in 30yrs.

The lopsided count is one thing but the main thing was how many shocking calls that went against the Lions.

Essendon lost by nearly 50 and didn’t kick a goal in the 2nd half so can’t say the bad calls cost them the game. Lions can definitely say it did.

Two terrible, absolutely terrible calls in a row just before half time when Johannisen kicked a behind. Pretty big behind.

#freekickbulldogs is a thing.
For mine it wasnt so much about what was paid to Dogs ( some were bad - ok ) , but more so about what was missed for Bris... Bris should have had at least 4-5 extra frees that were will within what was paid to Dogs, just in the last half..

But really, Bris should have got the scores with the ball they had..

Couldn’t agree more, unfortunately in every game there are numerous decisions that are questionable. However, on their own deck with the crowd on their side and a prelim on offer, yet again senior players couldn’t deliver ……. Dogs were up for the fight and the Lions were simply not good enough.
Fagan does need to come under serious scrutiny, including a host of senior player just not up to it. If this were a straight sets debacle by a big Melbourne club, the heat would come!!

LOL - we were incredible last night, as were they. Tigers fans just making themselves look pathetic in this thread.

It was insufficient intent every day of the week. You can't hack it out of the air, un pressured, to have it go 12 meters directly over the line LOL.

Learn the rule.

Can you explain the Bontempelli 'touched' goal? Was that conclusive enough to overrule?

Also, the timekeeping snafu in Round 23. All above board? The 40 minute final quarter just enough to get the Lions over the line. All above board?

We can all pull out things we think are a bit suss.

Anyway, if blaming umpires helps fans sleep at night that's fine, but it's a cop out.

Neither team took their opportunities, neither scored more goals than points and both had injuries and ordinary performances, but only 1 team got a perfectly timed free kick from the centre with a minute to play scores level.
Fans of the game turn up and fork out their hard earned, others pay a subscription to watch it on TV and most of them give up their Saturday evening to watch the sport they love only to get robbed of a fitting result by a dodgy free.

I dont know how Victorians find this crap acceptable, id rather my team lose than have them carried over the line by an obvious biased league.
Yeah we all know its your league, we joined it, but if you are the powerhouse of Aussie rules that you claim to be, why do you need this assistance year after year.

Back